Windows 10: Using Admin Account with UAC Prompting for Credentials?

Discus and support Using Admin Account with UAC Prompting for Credentials? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I just installed Windows 10 and my local user account is a Local Admin Account. However, under Local Security Policy settings, I set the UAC Prompt... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by win10freak, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Using Admin Account with UAC Prompting for Credentials?

I just installed Windows 10 and my local user account is a Local Admin Account.

However, under Local Security Policy settings, I set the UAC Prompt to Prompt for Credentials on the Secure Desktop (for Admin accounts). Can I also use this account to browse the web, check email even If the UAC is set to Prompt for Credentials? Or, would it be more secure if I create another local account which would be a Standard User Account?

Can malware still cause damage even if the UAC is set to Prompt for Credentials on the Secure Desktop for the local Admin Account?

I am the only one using the computer.

:)

win10freak, Jul 18, 2019

2. Changing the UAC Setting Prompt for Built-In Admin account?

Just wondering if I need to set the following UAC Prompt for the Built-In Administrator account even when its disabled by default? I created my own Admin account during Windows 10 installation, but by default, the Built-In Admin account is disabled. So do I need to set the following from the below tutorial to ENABLE even if the Built-In Admin account is disabled?

Enable or Disable UAC prompt for Built-in Administrator in Windows

win10freak, Jul 18, 2019
  3. Changing the UAC Setting Prompt for Built-In Admin account?

Thanks! Appreciate the support and detailed explanation.

However, slightly off topic here, but what about setup programs that a user can just change to their User Profile instead of a System folder like the Program Files folder? If a Standard User installs an app like Utorrent for example without changing the installation destination (C:\Program Files), then of course, the UAC will prompt for the Admin credentials. But when the user changes the installation path to their User Folder or wherever a directory does not need Admin rights to install, then its bad news...

So I guess there is a slight flaw in this UAC prompt thing when it comes to applications like these.

Best UAC setting if one likes to be more secure, then UAC setting for Standard Users should be: Automatically deny elevation requests.

Change UAC prompt Behavior for Standard Users in Windows

Utorrent is one example, see the image.

win10freak, Jul 18, 2019
  4. Using Admin Account with UAC Prompting for Credentials?

UAC prompt asks to enter password in Windows 10

Hi Irinelonofrei,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to login to the built-in admin account and check:

1. Click on Start icon and select Command Prompt run as administrator
    there.

2. Accept the UAC prompt.

3. Enter the following command to enable the hidden administrator account:
    net user administrator /active:yes

Note: To disable the account follow the instructions : net user administrator /active:no

If you can log into the Default Administrator account, follow these steps to perform System Restore:

a. On the desktop, press Windows key + R to open a Run Dialog.

b. Type %systemroot%\system32\rstrui.exe.

c. Press Enter and select a restore point before the account got deleted.

If issue persists, also try this:

Try to save the password in credential manager and check. Refer to the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Click on "Credential Manager" and select "Windows Credentials".
    • Go down to "Generic Credentials" and select "MicrosoftAccount:user=<user_name>" (where <user_name> should be your user name).
    • Click "Edit" and Change the password and press "Save".
    • Check if issue persists.

Hope this helps. Feel free to get back to us for further queries. We will be happy to assist you.

Thanks and regards,

Jenith

Jenith_James, Jul 18, 2019
Thema:

Using Admin Account with UAC Prompting for Credentials?

1. Using Admin Account with UAC Prompting for Credentials? - Similar Threads - Using Admin Account

2. auto input admin account password UAC prompts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    auto input admin account password UAC prompts: Dear SirHelloI have windows 10 Version 10.0.19044.1889I have two accounts , built in administrator account "administrator" , Another administrator account "PC"computer\administrator and computer\pcI configured UAC in local security policy "prompt for credential" "behavior of...
  3. auto input admin account password UAC prompts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    auto input admin account password UAC prompts: Dear SirHelloI have windows 10 Version 10.0.19044.1889I have two accounts , built in administrator account "administrator" , Another administrator account "PC"computer\administrator and computer\pcI configured UAC in local security policy "prompt for credential" "behavior of...
  4. auto input admin account password UAC prompts

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. UAC not prompting admin credentials

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UAC not prompting admin credentials: Hi everyone, i'm having a problem with uac in my domain, when i'm running softwares installations i'm not getting the option to enter admin credentials when i'm opening the software installation as administrator.Thanks...
  6. UAC not prompting admin credentials

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UAC not prompting admin credentials: Hi everyone, i'm having a problem with uac in my domain, when i'm running softwares installations i'm not getting the option to enter admin credentials when i'm opening the software installation as administrator.Thanks...
  7. UAC not prompting admin credentials

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Admin + User account? Or admin + always notify UAC + password prompt?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Admin + User account? Or admin + always notify UAC + password prompt?: Seems like the recommendation is to use a user account when logging to leaving the admin account to make changes to the computer. However, if the UAC (user access control) is set to always notify and the registry is set to always require a password. Does this fulfil the same...
  9. How to install software for a standard user while using admin credentials on UAC prompt?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to install software for a standard user while using admin credentials on UAC prompt?: So often times I come across an issue where when I install software on a standard user account using admin credentials on UAC prompt it will not show up for a standard user. But when I log in as admin it shows up on admin account,however, this is not desired. Excerpt from...
  10. Changing the UAC Setting Prompt for Built-In Admin account?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Changing the UAC Setting Prompt for Built-In Admin account?: Just wondering if I need to set the following UAC Prompt for the Built-In Administrator account even when its disabled by default? I created my own Admin account during Windows 10 installation, but by default, the Built-In Admin account is disabled. So do I need to set the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 user profile wont promt admin credential when needed

2. uac select admin account#

3. office 365 uac credential

4. password prompt uac admin account