Windows 10: Using an HDMI switch rearranged my desktop icons

Discus and support Using an HDMI switch rearranged my desktop icons in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I recently purchased a Mac M1 Mini. I set it up with an HDMI switch so that it could share the main display with my PC. Yesterday I booted the Mac for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by perkinw, Mar 10, 2021.

1. perkinw Win User

Using an HDMI switch rearranged my desktop icons

I recently purchased a Mac M1 Mini. I set it up with an HDMI switch so that it could share the main display with my PC. Yesterday I booted the Mac for the first time. Before doing it, I moved my Chrome browser to Display 2, which is not shared. Then I switched Display 1 over to the Mac. Everything worked as expected.

But at the end of the day, when I put the Mac to sleep and switched Display 1 back to the PC, I saw that my desktop icons had been rearranged on both displays. What caused this, and how can I prevent it next time I use the switch?

Radeon R9 270 graphics card
    Windows 10.0.19042
    HDMI switch: Amazon.com

:)

perkinw, Mar 10, 2021

2. Desktop icons rearrange at random

Hi,

In order for us to find out what causes your screen to go blank and rearrange the desktop icons, we would like to gather more information:

• What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • Have you made any recent changes to your computer prior to this issue?
    • When did you start experiencing this issue?

Regards.

Dennis Mop, Mar 10, 2021
  3. Icons rearrangement

Hi Amin,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Please try below steps and check if it helps to stop rearranging desktop icon automatically.

• Right click on desktop, click on View.
    • Uncheck Auto arrange icons.

For issue related Start menu check if it has set for full screen try to Off it.

• Go to Settings.
    • Click on Personalization.
    • Click on Start, turn Off Use Start full screen.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Vardhaman Shetti, Mar 10, 2021
  4. Using an HDMI switch rearranged my desktop icons

Desktop icon rearrangement on sreen rotate/unrotate

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We would be glad to help you with the issue you are facing today. I understand the difficulty with the problem.

Method: 1

Please try below steps and check if it helps to stop rearranging desktop icon automatically.

• Right click on desktop, click on View.
    • Uncheck Auto arrange icons.
    Hope this helps, if the issue persists do get back to us we will be glad to help you.

Thank you.

Mohammed AliAli, Mar 10, 2021
Thema:

Using an HDMI switch rearranged my desktop icons

1. Using an HDMI switch rearranged my desktop icons - Similar Threads - Using HDMI switch

2. Why are my desktop icons rearranging themselves?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why are my desktop icons rearranging themselves?: Ever since the most recent major Windows 10 update I guess a couple months ago?, every time I log in to my PC, a select few of my desktop icons get moved to a certain place. I have a dual monitor setup, one is plugged into my GPU, the other is plugged to the motherboard. If I...
  3. Desktop Icons rearranging

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons rearranging: I have a user who is using dual monitors and their desktop icons always revert back to the main monitor on restart. I logged in and moved icons around and restarted and everything was where i moved it. So this appears to be user specific. I am assuming their is something that...
  4. Desktop icons rearranging when connecting tv by HDMI

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop icons rearranging when connecting tv by HDMI: Hello, recently I upgraded my tv with a samsung 49RU8000 (4k) and now I started facing an annoying issue, since when I connect the tv to my pc all the icons rearrange in a random way. As monitor I have an Acer Predator XB271HU (1440p) and the tv is setted up to be an...
  5. rearrange icons on desktop

rearrange icons on desktop: On my Win 10 desktop I can move icons to any part of the grid with a left click-hold and drag. The setting is "Align icons to grid". My wife's Win 10 will not let the icon move at all. What needs to change...
  6. Desktop icons keep rearranging

Desktop icons keep rearranging: After rebooting the system, the desktop icons usually arrange in a different way than they used to be. I deleted the “IconCache” and checked “auto arrange icons”. I want them to be at fixed places....
  7. Desktop icons keep rearranging

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop icons keep rearranging: when i rearrange position of the icon it will amass icon in 1 point, i have checked align icon to grid but it just like that again,don't know how to fix it[ATTACH] ***Changed title from Error icons***...
  8. Quit rearranging my desktop icons win10!!

Quit rearranging my desktop icons win10!!: Amongst a ton of other things I want get into here, the one that's got me hot under the collar now is I can't find where I can lock my desktop icons from being shuffled all over creation everytime I boot up. There HAS to be an EZ solution to this. Thanks, GPL*Mad*Mad*Mad...
  9. Desktop Icon rearrange it's self :(

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icon rearrange it's self :(: As the topic said above every time I press F5 to refresh my desktop it rearrange it's self *Sad and I need to re-arrange it again. How can I stop it from doing that *Rolleyes [img] [img] 24524
  10. Desktop icons keep rearranging

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons keep rearranging: Hello, My desktop icons keep rearranging and windows explorer won't save the position I put them in. I can rearrange them but when I click 'Refresh' or if I restart explorer or if I reboot they rearrange to another setup. This happens in both normal mode and safe mode....