Windows 10: Using an HP LaserJet 5M with Windows 10

Discus and support Using an HP LaserJet 5M with Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an HP LaserJet 5M printer from a number of years ago, and I attached it to a new Dell laptop Inspiron 15 3000 series. When I print a test page,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Carol B.NJ., Oct 22, 2018.

1. Using an HP LaserJet 5M with Windows 10

I have an HP LaserJet 5M printer from a number of years ago, and I attached it to a new Dell laptop Inspiron 15 3000 series. When I print a test page, only black stripes print. When I try to print something from the laptop, the same black stripes print. When I run Troubleshooting, the message says USB Printing Support is an older USB device and might not work with USB 3.0. Is there anything I can do to get the printer working? Thanks.

:)

Carol B.NJ., Oct 22, 2018
  2. ahowardaz Win User

HP Laserjet 4 and HP Laserjet 5M Windows 10 connection instructions

Follow these instructions to connect your HP Laserjet 4 and Laserjet 5M printers to your computer if you are running Windows 10.

--press the Windows icon in the lower left corner

--select "settings"
    --select "devices"
    --select "add printers & scanners"
    --select "add a printer"
    -- it probably will scan and deliver a message like "printer ----- isn't listed"
    --click on that message
    --scroll down to "add a local printer"
    --accept "use existing port" then scroll down and select USB001(virtual port for USB)
    --it is possible that if you are using the original cable that the default LPT1 is the correct choice.
    --that will lead to the same list of printer drivers that you would have had with Win 7 (my understanding, or misunderstanding, is that when Win 10 loaded it retained the Win 7 printer drivers, but did not make them particularly accessible.
    --select your printer
    --print a test page
    --all done
    --you may need to make that your default printer

ahowardaz, Oct 22, 2018
  3. keithjr Win User
    Windows 10 Driver for HP LaserJet 4

I tried this after doing a clean install of Windows 10. The list of printers that comes up does not include the Laserjet 4 plus which is the printer I am trying to connect via usb. How do I get that to come up?

keithjr, Oct 22, 2018
  4. ahowardaz Win User

Using an HP LaserJet 5M with Windows 10

Windows 10 Driver for HP LaserJet 4

for those who have a HP (Hewlett Packard) Laserjet 4 or Laserjet 5M I finally found how to connect up the computer to these great printers when OS is Windows 10. Follow step-by-step. This really works!! I love my old printer:

Win 7 with Win 10, and as others have reported the drivers for my older printer did not load.
    Although it is a HP Laserjet 4 plus, that appars to be not so important, other than the fact that the original cable has been replaced with one with a USB connector for my more modern laptop.

After struggling and Googling for far too much time, here is what worked very well.

--press teh Windows icon in the lower left corner
    --select "settings"
    --select "devices"
    --select "add printers & scanners"
    --select "add a printer"
    -- it probably will scan and deliver a message like "printer ----- isn't listed"
    --click on that message
    --scroll down to "add a local printer"
    --accept "use existing port" then scroll down and select USB001(virtual port for USB)
    --it is possible that if you are using the original cable that the default LPT1 is the correct choice.
    --that will lead to the same list of printer drivers that you would have had with Win 7 (my understanding, or misunderstanding, is that when Win 10 loaded it retained the Win 7 printer drivers, but did not make them particularly accessible.
    --select your printer
    --print a test page
    --all done
    --you may need to make that your default printer

ahowardaz, Oct 22, 2018
Thema:

Using an HP LaserJet 5M with Windows 10

1. Using an HP LaserJet 5M with Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Using LaserJet

2. Question #2. Complete new install of Windows 10. I have an old HP Laserjet 6P printer using...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question #2. Complete new install of Windows 10. I have an old HP Laserjet 6P printer using...: Hello, in previous installations/reinstallations of Windows 10, I have been able to set up my old, completely fine, still working great, HP LaserJet 6P printer. I've had it for 25 years and it still works great for B/W printing. For a lot of those years, I have been using a...
  3. Question #2. Complete new install of Windows 10. I have an old HP Laserjet 6P printer using...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question #2. Complete new install of Windows 10. I have an old HP Laserjet 6P printer using...: Hello, in previous installations/reinstallations of Windows 10, I have been able to set up my old, completely fine, still working great, HP LaserJet 6P printer. I've had it for 25 years and it still works great for B/W printing. For a lot of those years, I have been using a...
  4. Question #2. Complete new install of Windows 10. I have an old HP Laserjet 6P printer using...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. I just got windows 11 but can’t use my printer. HP LaserJet P1006. Are drivers still...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I just got windows 11 but can’t use my printer. HP LaserJet P1006. Are drivers still...: I just got windows 11. But I can’t use my printer:H P LaserJet P1006. Are drivers available for this product? How do I get them for windows 11?...
  6. I just got windows 11 but can’t use my printer. HP LaserJet P1006. Are drivers still...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I just got windows 11 but can’t use my printer. HP LaserJet P1006. Are drivers still...: I just got windows 11. But I can’t use my printer:H P LaserJet P1006. Are drivers available for this product? How do I get them for windows 11?...
  7. Can I scan using a HP Laserjet 1020?

Can I scan using a HP Laserjet 1020?: Can I scan using a HP Laserjet 1020? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-scan-using-a-hp-laserjet-1020/48996f6d-ed16-4870-a30c-f871f6c31d18
  8. Problem Using HP Laserjet 1100 Since Windows 10.

Problem Using HP Laserjet 1100 Since Windows 10.: This topic has been discussed elsewhere, however that centered around direct connection, either parallel port or usb/parallel converter. My situation is that my HP Laserjet 1100 is connected to a parallel port HP JetDirect network device. Printing worked fine when the...
  9. HP laserJet 4 Plus using Paraelle Port IEEE-1284 prints with random gibberish with Windows 10

HP laserJet 4 Plus using Paraelle Port IEEE-1284 prints with random gibberish with Windows 10: I am having a problem getting my LaserJet 4 to print properly. This printer has been connected to the Manhattan IEEE-1284 parallel port USB to LPT since I had Windows 7 and worked great. Then I upgraded to Windows 10 recently and it was still working perfectly after I made...
  10. Using your 20 year old Laserjet 6p with Current Winldows products

Using your 20 year old Laserjet 6p with Current Winldows products: The problem with using the old parallel connectivity is that those old cards are mostly ISA and not PCI. There is a way to get around it though. I know, I did it and my 20 year old printer is still printing using Windows 10. I had to find a device that would plug into the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what windows 10 driver to use for old hp lasERJET 5M PRINTER