Windows 10: Using an NVME SSD in AHCI vs RAID mode

Discus and support Using an NVME SSD in AHCI vs RAID mode in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I built my system with a Samsung 950 PRO m.2 NVMe SSD as the Windows 10 boot drive (C*Smile, plus a pair of old-fashioned SATA-III hard drives... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Jon9999, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Jon9999 Win User

Using an NVME SSD in AHCI vs RAID mode

I built my system with a Samsung 950 PRO m.2 NVMe SSD as the Windows 10 boot drive (C*Smile, plus a pair of old-fashioned SATA-III hard drives configured in RAID1 as my data drive (D*Smile. The SSD is plugged directly into one of the m.2 slots on my motherboard. I have the BIOS option for SATA controller set to RAID, using the built-in Intel RST RAID controller. And if it matters, Windows is running in UEFI mode.

Everything appears to be working fine, except that Samsung's Magician utility does not recognize my Samsung 950 PRO drive as an NVMe device, so it will not manage it. Within Samsung Magician, the Samsung drive's name appears garbled, with every second letter swapped: "aSsmnu gSS D59 0RP O15G2 B" instead of "Samsung SSD 590 PRO 512 GB." Everywhere else, including Windows System Properties, Disk Management, Device Manager, and Intel RST, the name of the Samsung SSD appears correctly. Samsung Tech Support told me to download the NVMe driver from their website and install it, but when I tried that, I got an error message saying that no NVMe drives could be found on my system.

I am gathering that for some reason, Samsung Magician refuses to work when there is a RAID controller managing the SATA drives, even if the Samsung drive itself is not configured as RAID.

My questions are these:

0) Is there a workaround to get Samsung Magician to work properly?

1) Does allowing the RAID controller to manage my Samsung SSD reduce the lifespan of the SSD? That is, since Samsung Magician does not recognize the drive, do I lose any protection on the drive or can it end up with unnecessary read/writes that will reduce its lifespan?

2) Same question, but for read/write efficiency. Does having my SSD under the RAID controller mean I will lose some of the speed I would otherwise get from the SSD?

3) Is there a way to separate the SATA bus so the Samsung SSD can be managed directly by AHCI, which still permitting me to have a RAID1 array for my other two drives? Or is it either AHCI or RAID for the entire system?

4) If keeping the system the way I have it will reduce the SSD's lifespan or efficiency, is having RAID1 worth it? I make separate backups of my data drive (I understand that RAID is not a backup strategy), but it's somehow comforting to know that I am protected against a drive failure. Or is RAID1 not really helpful in the modern world, so I may as well get rid of it so I can use Samsung Magician?

Thanks.

:)

Jon9999, Oct 15, 2016

2. Windows 10 Anniversary Update Install on M.2 SSD

I have found the casue.

If you are running the 950PRO in AHCI mode on G752vy 1607 update wont work. The AHCI mode is buggy.

Keep pressing ESC when machine boots until you see boot option menu. If you got only "WINDOWS BOOT MANAGER" as the option to boot from 950PRO without the full SSD name trailing it, the update will not work. Ahci driver will not properly detect and present
    950PRO to the system. In fact this happens on many NVME SSDs. Some of which I tested wont even show up as a boot option or sometimes they will. Really hit and miss.

The solution is to go back to RAID mode, but it is not simple as reinstalling Windows 10 on NVME SSD will not work due to Windows Setup BSODing with IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL or WATCHDOG_VIOLATION during loading Intel RAID driver. I suspect NVME driver in BIOS
    is also buggy,but at least it allows 1607 update to work in RAID mode.

You can wait for a new BIOS from ASUS or go back to RAID mode.

Here is how to go back to RAID.

SebastianByczkowski, Oct 15, 2016
  3. What to do when changing windows 10 boot drive from AHCI to NVMe

My windows 10 is installed on a samsung 850 SSD using SATA 3 and AHCI. I read that newer SSDs that plug right into the motherboard like the M.2 Format use NVMe or else are a lot slower than advertised. If I wanted to migrate my boot drive from the Samsung
    850 SATA 3 AHCI to an M.2 NVME using Acronis or something would I run into problems? Would I instead need to do a clean install of Windows 10 after changing the bios from AHCI to NVMe and plugging in the hypothetical M.2? Am I misunderstanding something altogether?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

steampvnc1880, Oct 15, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

I have the same NVMe SSD (512 GB) and an Asrock Z170 Extreme7+ mobo. You might want to try sharing your questions with Les Tokar, the guy who runs the excellent TheSSDReview.com website (if you send me a private msg, I'll give you his email address). Here's what I've been able to figure out so far, by way of addressing your Q&A:

0) Is there a workaround to get Samsung Magician to work properly?
    I just checked the Samsung downloads this weekend, and the Manual & Downloads page for this drive still lists Magician 4.9.7 as the current version. Inside that software, the program reports that OS Optimization for this SSD is not supported. I take that to mean the answer to your question is "No."

1) Does allowing the RAID controller to manage my Samsung SSD reduce the lifespan of the SSD? That is, since Samsung Magician does not recognize the drive, do I lose any protection on the drive or can it end up with unnecessary read/writes that will reduce its lifespan?
    I don't think it's a problem. None of my health indicators have moved since I installed the drive in January, even after 5.24 TB of writes.

2) Same question, but for read/write efficiency. Does having my SSD under the RAID controller mean I will lose some of the speed I would otherwise get from the SSD?
    Normally, if you run a single drive through RAID it works exactly the same as it would with AHCI. To me that means no difference. If you put multiple drives together in a RAID 0 array -- as Tokar documents in an SSDReview story earlier this year -- it runs faster overall. Again, I don't think this is a concern.

3) Is there a way to separate the SATA bus so the Samsung SSD can be managed directly by AHCI, which still permitting me to have a RAID1 array for my other two drives? Or is it either AHCI or RAID for the entire system?
    You would want to install a RAID card to use RAID for other drives: the built-in RAID controllers on motherboards aren't really industrial strength anyway. But no, you can't run both AHCI and RAID on the same set of SATA controllers.

4) If keeping the system the way I have it will reduce the SSD's lifespan or efficiency, is having RAID1 worth it? I make separate backups of my data drive (I understand that RAID is not a backup strategy), but it's somehow comforting to know that I am protected against a drive failure. Or is RAID1 not really helpful in the modern world, so I may as well get rid of it so I can use Samsung Magician?
    Even if you get rid of RAID the 950 still doesn't work with Magician. No reason to change things as far as I can tell. Think of the old Bobby McFerrin song: "Don't worry, be happy!"

--Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 16, 2016
  5. Jon9999 Win User
    Thanks, Ed!

How can I check the health of my drive? S.M.A.R.T. doesn't appear to work with a RAID controller, and Magician doesn't tell me much since it doesn't recognize the drive as NVMe. What tool do you recommend?

I mean I could get full Magician functionality if I were to de-RAID my hard drives and change the SATA mode in my BIOS from RAID to AHCI. (I know, I would need to take some extra steps to make sure Windows installs the AHCI driver -- but I think it's already installed because my CD-ROM is on a separate SATA controller on my motherboard, which is AHCI.) Is having RAID1 worth losing Magician for? Is RAID1 all that worthwhile overall anyway in 2016?

Jon9999, Oct 16, 2016
  6. EdTittel Win User
    My understanding is that RAID when handling a single drive is the same as using AHCI. That's why I see no special advantages to switching back from RAID to AHCI (and also, my mobo doesn't recognize the drive in the UEFI drives listings on AHCI, though it will as a RAID device -- go figure!). As for access to smart data, Magician 4.9.7 happily shows me smart data for the 950, to wit:

Using an NVME SSD in AHCI vs RAID mode [​IMG]

I think this is a relatively new, latest-generation development, so if you haven't upgraded Magician yet, this may make it worthwhile. OTOH, you can always use a tool like CrystalDiskInfo to access the SMART data from the drive instead.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 16, 2016
  7. Jon9999 Win User
    Ed,

This is very strange, because we're seeing entirely different things here. My whole issue is that Magician does not recognize my Samsung 950 PRO as a Samsung NVMe drive, while yours appears to recognize it.

Compare what I see in Magician 4.9.7 with what you see. My drive is listed as "aSsmnu gSS D59 0RP O15G2 B" (with every 2nd letter swapped), while yours lists it correctly as "Samsung SSD 590 PRO 512 GB." (If you Google "aSsmnu," you get lots of hits from people in the same bucket as me, but no solutions that I can find.) My drive doesn't have the "Genuine" badge next to the serial number that yours has. My Drive Health Status, Total Bytes Written, and AHCI Mode are all "N/A," while yours actually say something. The S.M.A.R.T. button in my Magician brings up an empty grid, while yours is populated. You appear to have access to the other functions in the left-hand-side navigation menu, while in mine, every link except "Disk Drive" and "Performance Benchmark" is deactivated. Oh, and mine shows the drive capacity as 0.00GB in the two textual places, but 453 GB in the cartoon.

I wrote to Samsung, and the answer I got just this morning (slowly, over several days, and after several back-and-forths) was that Magician does not work with RAID mode. So how come yours seems to work if we have very similar setups? How can I get to be like you?

Jon9999, Oct 16, 2016
  8. EdTittel Win User

Ahhh, now it all makes sense. I *AM* running on AHCI rather than RAID. And now we both know why you might want to switch. I never used RAID in the first place because it didn't make sense to me to add a whole new layer of software for something my single NVMe drive wouldn't let me use anyway. The lightbulb just went off for me, and now you have a reason to switch.
    Thanks for keeping at this with me: I think we've got it sorted now.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 16, 2016
  9. Jon9999 Win User
    This really worries me. Can you please confirm that number, Ed? You've been using the drive since January and have 5.24 TB of writes? I installed mine last week, and according to CrystalDiskInfo, I already have 1.822 TB of writes. (It's my system drive, if it matters.)

Now I'm really worried...

Jon9999, Oct 16, 2016
  10. EdTittel Win User
    You're going to take a big initial hit when you do the OS Install. I don't think you have cause for concern. according to Storage Review, it's got an MTBF of 1.5 million hours and a max write of 400 TB. You should be OK.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 16, 2016
  11. EdTittel Win User
    You're going to take a big initial hit when you do the OS Install. I don't think you have cause for concern. According to Storage Review, it's got an MTBF of 1.5 million hours and a max write of 400 TB. You should be OK.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

PS: going back to check, I bought the drive in January, but I didn't get around to building the system with the 950 in it until sometime in February, as this blog post reveals: Woo hoo! NVMe Boot Speedup Achieved - Windows Enterprise Desktop.

EdTittel, Oct 16, 2016
  12. Jon9999 Win User
    Still, 9 months vs 1-2 weeks and only 1/5 as many writes. I'm very concerned.

You've been a great help, Ed. Thank you.

Jon9999, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Using an NVME SSD in AHCI vs RAID mode - Similar Threads - Using NVME SSD

2. storAHCI.sys long delay in response with AHCI/NVMe mode and HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    storAHCI.sys long delay in response with AHCI/NVMe mode and HDD: The Storage test is freezing/responds after very long time in the field with AHCI/NVMe mode and HDD. Application is sending commands using win32 DeviceIoControl API and IOCTLs. However, the response is frozen/very slow. Is this a known issue?OS : Microsoft Windows 11 Pro...
  3. Reinstalling RAID 1 using NVMe drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstalling RAID 1 using NVMe drive: Hi, I had 2 Corsair Force Series MP600 2 TB, NVMe PCIe Gen 4 x4 M.2 SSD in RAID 1 when I ordered my computer from Origin PC. One of the drives was bad so I switched from RAID 1 to AHCI and sent the bad drive for replacement. I have the replacement drive installed now and I am...
  4. AHCI or RAID?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    AHCI or RAID?: Hi there, I am about to install Windows 10 onto a single 4.0 NVMe M.2 as a clean installation and I want to know if I should set the SATA control to AHCI or RAID? This is not a RAID set up just one single 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD card. Thank you, Robert....
  5. Change from Raid to AHCI

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change from Raid to AHCI: I have a Dell Inspiron 15 -7000- i5- 7573 came with SSD SanDisk X400 M.2 2280 256GB-1012 card, ok! in the Bios it is in Raid mode, and I would like to change it to AHCI, is it possible to make that change? Thanks JP...
  6. Change nvme to legacy mode after using it in raid mode

Change nvme to legacy mode after using it in raid mode: I'm using Win 10 pro N in RAID mode (I installed initially to a RAID10 array of 4 x 14TB wd140emfz from elements enclosures), and I have just noticed that while defragging the RAID10 array and simultaneously benching a data free Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB that the NVME's...
  7. Switch from Raid to AHCI

in Windows 10 Customization
    Switch from Raid to AHCI: Is there a way to switch from Raid to AHCI without losing everything and having to reinstall Windows again? 104898
  8. AHCI or RAID

AHCI or RAID: Hi. I have just purchased a Dell XPS 15 Laptop with a single 512gb SSD. I am wanting to clean install Windows 10 but am unsure whether to place the BIOS in RAID or AHCI? I have heard the read/write SSD speeds are similar once in windows. Would one of these interfaces...
  9. Clone HDD to SSD (switch from RAID to AHCI)

Clone HDD to SSD (switch from RAID to AHCI): Hi there, When the time came to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 I decided to run the upgrade then shortly afterwards, to alleviate some outstanding issues, I went ahead and did a fresh install to 10. At the time I had a spare 60Gb SSD going unused so I decided to attempt to...
  10. Switch from AHCI to RAID

Switch from AHCI to RAID: I have Windows 10 Pro installed on an SSD in AHCI mode. I would like to add a RAID 1 array to this system for storage but I understand some registry tweaks must be made before I can change my BIOS from AHCI to RAID mode or I'll end up hosing Windows. I've read that the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to check nvme raid mode

2. magician modo raid nvme

3. nvme raid mode

4. how to check if windows is in ahci or raid mode,
  5. laptop SS drive wont run in RAID mode,
  6. using raid vs ahci for nvme m2,
  7. using an ahci hdd in raid,
  8. raid using nvme ssd drives,
  9. NVMe/SATA RAID for Windows® 10 w10 1903 update issue,
  10. do nvme drices use achi,
  11. ahci mode in windows 10 nvme,