Windows 10: Using an old computer's name on a new replacement

Discus and support Using an old computer's name on a new replacement in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am getting a new computer to replace one that died. I'd like to use the old computer's name as other devices are linked to it in a home network.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by HowardSimons, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Using an old computer's name on a new replacement

I am getting a new computer to replace one that died. I'd like to use the old computer's name as other devices are linked to it in a home network. Will this cause any problems?

:)

HowardSimons, Jun 9, 2020
  2. Binge Win User

Replacing old gaming rig

He has no good reason to suggest a new case... unless he means you can't use a large air cooler in your case. No idea.

Binge, Jun 9, 2020
  3. change windows 10 pc name

We appreciate you getting back to us. To change the cmd name, we suggest that you follow this steps:

• Open a Command Prompt (Adimin) window: Win+X, A, Alt+Y
    • Then run the following command to change your computer name to Donner: WMIC ComputerSystem where Name=COMPUTER-NAME call Rename Name=NewName
    • Reboot your PC.
    • Try to run ipconfig / all command, you should find that the Host Name in Windows IP Configuration list has been changed to the new name.

Keep us posted with the result.

Marilou Ser, Jun 9, 2020
  4. solpuerto Win User

Using an old computer's name on a new replacement

Change computer Name

Hi Brink

I used Option 1 to change the name and that worked, however when I open up my home network the list contains both the new name as well as the old. If I select the old it is not found and asks to check it is connected. Can I remove this from the list of items?

solpuerto, Jun 9, 2020
Thema:

Using an old computer's name on a new replacement

1. Using an old computer's name on a new replacement - Similar Threads - Using old computer's

2. New computer name shows within AD and SCCM but can't remote into it unless using old...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New computer name shows within AD and SCCM but can't remote into it unless using old...: I have a computer that was given the wrong computer name. One of my co-workers changed the computer name and remove the old computer name out of AD. The problem is when the user tries to remote into the PC with the new computer name it will not find it but when if someone...
  3. New computer name shows within AD and SCCM but can't remote into it unless using old...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New computer name shows within AD and SCCM but can't remote into it unless using old...: I have a computer that was given the wrong computer name. One of my co-workers changed the computer name and remove the old computer name out of AD. The problem is when the user tries to remote into the PC with the new computer name it will not find it but when if someone...
  4. Old G-Mail address continues to replace the new USER NAME. How to rid?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old G-Mail address continues to replace the new USER NAME. How to rid?: need help to remove old USER NAME as it needs to be deleted in Gmail. Where to do so, to enable newer?* Moved from Community Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/old-g-mail-address-continues-to-replace-the-new/86515946-3c2f-43f3-8aee-97dfc863f50c
  5. Old G-Mail address continues to replace the new USER NAME. How to rid?

Old G-Mail address continues to replace the new USER NAME. How to rid?: need help to remove old USER NAME as it needs to be deleted in Gmail. Where to do so, to enable newer?* Moved from Community Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/old-g-mail-address-continues-to-replace-the-new/86515946-3c2f-43f3-8aee-97dfc863f50c
  6. changed computer name deleted old computer name can't add new computer name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    changed computer name deleted old computer name can't add new computer name: I changed my computer's name. I did not change the serial number. I deleted the old name. now I want to add the new name. microsoft website keeps saying id doesn't recognize the serial number. I'ts the same serial number the comuter had with its old name. Now I have no...
  7. changed computer name deleted old computer name can't add new computer name

changed computer name deleted old computer name can't add new computer name: I changed my computer's name. I did not change the serial number. I deleted the old name. now I want to add the new name. microsoft website keeps saying id doesn't recognize the serial number. I'ts the same serial number the comuter had with its old name. Now I have no...
  8. changed computer name deleted old computer name can't add new computer name

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. Replace old laptop with a new one

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Replace old laptop with a new one: I have bought a new laptop with windows 10 home on it my old laptop there was windows 10 pro installed. How can I get this version on my new laptop, I have the old hard drive were windows pro on is installed....
  10. Use an "old" system disk on a "new" computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Use an "old" system disk on a "new" computer: Hello My "old" (10 yea rs) computer crashed (motherboard and processor) but the system disk is still readable I had a new computer built with the latest hardware When I sttart to boot from the "old" system disk, after a few seconds, I have a "Blue Screen Of Death" (I have no...