Windows 10: Using An Old Laptop For Backup

Discus and support Using An Old Laptop For Backup in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi, I'm looking for suggestions on the best way to re-purpose an old laptop as an external backup medium. Here is the current situation: 1. We have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Rubi, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Rubi Win User

Using An Old Laptop For Backup

Hi,

I'm looking for suggestions on the best way to re-purpose an old laptop as an external backup medium.

Here is the current situation:

1. We have 4 Windows 10 laptops at home

2. I have an old (about 8 years) Windows 7 laptop

What are the options to use the old laptop for backup?

Thanks!

:)

2. Lawls Win User

Unable to Restore New Laptop from Backup of Old Laptop

Hi Ken. Thank you so much for providing me with this link. It talked me through solving my problem step by step and I successfully restored my files from my old laptop onto my new laptop. I can't thank you enough. Jeff

Lawls, Mar 11, 2019
  3. Nordic Win User
    What to do with old laptop

If you actually read the thread it is a spare old laptop.

Nordic, Mar 11, 2019
  4. n-ster Win User

n-ster, Mar 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Using An Old Laptop For Backup - Similar Threads - Using Old Laptop

2. Use OneDrive for backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Use OneDrive for backup: Good morning all, Can OneDrive (I have the 1TB upgrade) be used for backup of files and the OS ? Is there a tutorial somewhere ? My system consists of: Surface Go, 4GBram, 64GBstorage, Win10 S mode, Edge, Office 365, No physical keyboard, No mouse. Thanks Lee 130841
  3. using disc for backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    using disc for backup: What is the best way to use a disc when running back up?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/using-disc-for-backup/f036bc5a-bd7d-41a1-888b-3f579819d229
  4. Using an old password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Using an old password: Hi there, Is there anyway I can reuse a previous password i’ve already used? It’s so frustrating that if i change, it says i can’t use an old password. Thanks....
  5. Unable to Restore New Laptop from Backup of Old Laptop

Unable to Restore New Laptop from Backup of Old Laptop: I was having keyboard problems with my Lenovo Flex 5. It was still under warranty so I sent the laptop back to Lenovo at their request. Before I sent it to them I ran a backup to an external hard drive. The files are located in a file labeled "File History". They sent me a...
  6. Updates on old laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Updates on old laptop: I have an old Gateway laptop computer, see specification below, that I still use as a reserve machine having suffered multiple problems with Windows 10 on my everyday machine. Those problems thankfully now seem to have been sorted out. I appreciate that W10 strains the...
  7. Use for old SSD

Use for old SSD: I have a new computer coming with an SSD and HDD. I have an old 256GB SSD from the old system that is in good condition and I have an external box with a SATA/USB connection. Is there any good use for the old SSD? 109554
  8. Deleting Old Backup Plans

Deleting Old Backup Plans: How can I get rid of old Backup Plans that I no longer use? I am not talking about deleting Backup images, but the actual plan that you create when you make a new Backup. Thanks, Mike 109206
  9. Bunch of old HDD's - how to use as NAS backup

Bunch of old HDD's - how to use as NAS backup: Hi there If you have a few old HDD's available why not use these for backing up NAS etc. To do this IMO the best way is as follows : 1) Get say a 4 Bay (powered) HDD container with USB3 connector -- really cheap one with no built in RAID etc works really well. 2 Bay...
  10. Using Backup

Using Backup: When choosing a folder in*the 'Backup these folders' section in Windows Backup, does Windows backup the subfolders within the folder? James 85200