Windows 10: Using an old SSD Windows 10 boot drive to replace current M.2 with Windows 10?

Discus and support Using an old SSD Windows 10 boot drive to replace current M.2 with Windows 10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 installed in an M.2 boot drive that I installed several years ago. l'm experiencing freezes/crashes so am looking at doing a fresh... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JenniferGraham, Mar 14, 2021.

1. Using an old SSD Windows 10 boot drive to replace current M.2 with Windows 10?

I have Windows 10 installed in an M.2 boot drive that I installed several years ago. l'm experiencing freezes/crashes so am looking at doing a fresh install of Windows OR going back to the SSD I had before I installed the M.2 and started having problems, but I'm not sure that's possible or a good idea? Thoughts? If not, can I reuse the SSD I had before by reformatting it? I do have the the Media Creation Tool already on a USB already :

Also, when I was talking to HP Support, they said I should use their tool for restoring the PC to factory settings instead of the Windows 10 Media Creation tool. So now I don't know which way to go and would appreciate advice.

Thank you!

:)

JenniferGraham, Mar 14, 2021
  2. puma99dk| Win User

Windows 10 boot drive

Why do u even want a HDD/SSD that's 3TB for a operation system?

puma99dk|, Mar 14, 2021
  3. Tomgang Win User
    X58 Windows 10 issues

I dont think this is hardware or software related. As told problems came after creator update came out last year. Before that i ran windows 10 for about 2 years with any problem only the one year planned format c.

And ssd/hdd are good.

Arh got that formulated wrong then. Boot drive is just fine. Can still be seen in bios and is not a sata ssd. My boot drive is an samsung 950 pro m.2 nvme ssd so no sata or power cable. Runs in a pcie to m.2 adaptor and windows 7 boots just fine from the same ssd right now.

I am 100 % sure it is a windows 10 related error. As told problems came after creator update, before that windows 10 ran flawless on pc.

Tomgang, Mar 14, 2021
  4. sttubs Win User

Using an old SSD Windows 10 boot drive to replace current M.2 with Windows 10?

Windows 10 boot drive

Is Windows 10 also limited to a max of 3Tb for a boot drive?

sttubs, Mar 14, 2021
Thema:

Using an old SSD Windows 10 boot drive to replace current M.2 with Windows 10?

1. Using an old SSD Windows 10 boot drive to replace current M.2 with Windows 10? - Similar Threads - Using old SSD

2. Boot from an old M.2 SSD Windows 11 drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boot from an old M.2 SSD Windows 11 drive: I had a Dell XPS 8940 with a 512GB M.2 SSD and my boot drive and a 1TB data drive. The Dell 8940 XPS became inoperable after a power blackout. I bought a new Dell 8960 XPS with a 1TB M.2 SSD and my boot drive and a 1TB data drive. I moved the old 512GB M.2 SSD and my boot...
  3. Boot from an old M.2 SSD Windows 11 drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Boot from an old M.2 SSD Windows 11 drive: I had a Dell XPS 8940 with a 512GB M.2 SSD and my boot drive and a 1TB data drive. The Dell 8940 XPS became inoperable after a power blackout. I bought a new Dell 8960 XPS with a 1TB M.2 SSD and my boot drive and a 1TB data drive. I moved the old 512GB M.2 SSD and my boot...
  4. Unable to Boot to SSD drive, goes to M.2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Boot to SSD drive, goes to M.2: I bought a new to me desktop PC. I replaced the HDD it had with my old computer's SSD, which has my expected windows 10 image.The PC was wiped clean before I bought it and I guess is booting to a Windows 11 M.2.I went to startup options and don't see my SSD as an option to...
  5. Unable to Boot to SSD drive, goes to M.2

Unable to Boot to SSD drive, goes to M.2: I bought a new to me desktop PC. I replaced the HDD it had with my old computer's SSD, which has my expected windows 10 image.The PC was wiped clean before I bought it and I guess is booting to a Windows 11 M.2.I went to startup options and don't see my SSD as an option to...
  6. old empty M.2 drive is still the boot drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    old empty M.2 drive is still the boot drive: I have an old m.2 drive that was my boot drive with windows installed on it. It's now empty and windows was installed on another drive SSD. But somehow the original m.2 is considered the boot drive. I cannot select the SSD in the BIOS as the new boot drive. I want to...
  7. old empty M.2 drive is still the boot drive

old empty M.2 drive is still the boot drive: I have an old m.2 drive that was my boot drive with windows installed on it. It's now empty and windows was installed on another drive SSD. But somehow the original m.2 is considered the boot drive. I cannot select the SSD in the BIOS as the new boot drive. I want to...
  8. Replacing a M.2 SSD boot drive card

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Replacing a M.2 SSD boot drive card: Running Win 10 version 21H1 My rig has a 500 Mb M.2 SSD card as boot (C:\). Troubling Chkdsk runs have caused me to distrust the current card. A replacement M.2 card should arrive in a couple of days and my confidence in myself to successfully swap the cards is limited as I...
  9. Replacing a M.2 SSD boot drive card

in Windows 10 Support
    Replacing a M.2 SSD boot drive card: Running Win 10 version 21H1 My rig has a 500 Mb M.2 SSD card as boot (C:\). Troubling Chkdsk runs have caused me to distrust the current card. A replacement M.2 card should arrive in a couple of days and my confidence in myself to successfully swap the cards is limited as I...
  10. Windows 10 hdd to m.2 ssd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 hdd to m.2 ssd: Hi guys, I’m just wondering if I can or how hard / easy it is to move windows 10 from a hard drive to an m.2 ssd. Thanks in advance for any help :) submitted by /u/oscarfowes [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hhz2r2/windows_10_hdd_to_m2_ssd/