Windows 10: Using an old Windows 10 product key for a new PC build

Discus and support Using an old Windows 10 product key for a new PC build in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I got a laptop 2 years ago that came with windows 10 on it. Juice spilled on it, and now it's broken. Won't turn on or light up even when plugged in.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/pinkfreude, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Using an old Windows 10 product key for a new PC build

I got a laptop 2 years ago that came with windows 10 on it. Juice spilled on it, and now it's broken. Won't turn on or light up even when plugged in.

Is there an easy way I can recover my Windows 10 product key from it, or does Microsoft prevent you from doing this? I would like to use it for a new PC I am building instead of buying a new one.

submitted by /u/pinkfreude
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/pinkfreude, Jul 28, 2020
  2. FinZak Win User

Product key association disable on old pc

Hey,

I sold my old pc to a friend. He installed some missing parts (HDD, GPU and RAM). Then we installed Windows 10 Home 64-bit version from USB stick. I was surprised to see that windows was automatically activated after that. I did some digging and found out that it is using my product key, which i use now in my own new pc. My friend does not have his own product key, the idea was that he just uses the unactivated windows with limited features.

I uninstalled my Windows 10 product key via command prompt in friends computer (as i understand this is only local solution, if he reinstall windows or clicks the active button, it reactivates automatically with my product key) and now it says windows is not activated, but my product key is still shown with Produkey app in his pc. So far windows is still activated my own pc.

My questions:

1. Is this all i need to do?
    2. How do i get rid of product key showing still with product key showing apps on my friend's computer?
    3. Is there a way to get rid of association of my product key on that old pc that i sold to friend?

EDIT: I originally installed windows 10 via upgrade option from Windows 7, if that matters.

FinZak, Jul 28, 2020
  3. Rob4642 Win User
    Need help with transferring Windows 10 to new PC

*Nevermind I figured it out. I just bought a license key for $29.00. Thx though.
    So my friend asked me to build him a new computer for work. The last one I built him was during the windows 7-10 upgrade grace period. I used to load windows 7, use windows loader to put in a product key, activate it, then upgrade to windows 10. Now that the grace period is over, and I'm working with new hardware, I was wondering if it is possible to install windows 10 from an already functioning computer that operated on a sata SSD to a new computer with an m.2 nvme SSD, using just the product key from the current windows 10 off of his computer. I use a program that grabs the product key called ProduKey.
    Should I do a fresh install of windows 10 using his key after deactivating it from his current PC , instead of cloning drives correct? It would be nice not to have to pay microsoft $200 for windows 10 if he already has it and plans on not using his old pc anymore.

Rob4642, Jul 28, 2020
  4. BluXo Win User

Using an old Windows 10 product key for a new PC build

Windows 10 Product Key(New PC)

Hi I built a new computer recently and I kept my OS drive from my old build. It wasn't activated due to the motherboard change so I used my student windows key. I didn't use the student key previously on my old build. Eventually I want to get an
    OS drive on my old PC while use my new one. Can I still use my old Windows 10 Home key on my old PC? I did the upgrade to student without thinking of it deleting my old OS build. Also, the student OS build is only for one PC. Is it still possible to access
    that old key on put it back on my old PC?

BluXo, Jul 28, 2020
Thema:

Using an old Windows 10 product key for a new PC build

1. Using an old Windows 10 product key for a new PC build - Similar Threads - Using old product

2. I have an old not-in use laptop with win7 product key. Can I use the product key for new pc?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I have an old not-in use laptop with win7 product key. Can I use the product key for new pc?: I have an old not-in use laptop with win7 product key. Can I use the product key for new pc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-an-old-not-in-use-laptop-with-win7-product/7176e101-a954-4b38-9d24-5c7a87b1d08d
  3. I have an old not-in use laptop with win7 product key. Can I use the product key for new pc?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have an old not-in use laptop with win7 product key. Can I use the product key for new pc?: I have an old not-in use laptop with win7 product key. Can I use the product key for new pc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-an-old-not-in-use-laptop-with-win7-product/7176e101-a954-4b38-9d24-5c7a87b1d08d
  4. I have an old not-in use laptop with win7 product key. Can I use the product key for new pc?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can I activate Windows 10 on a new device with a product key I used on an old PC?

Can I activate Windows 10 on a new device with a product key I used on an old PC?: Note: I used Command Prompt to Uninstall the product key from the old PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-activate-windows-10-on-a-new-device-with-a/4d44ee4c-0792-4ef3-9f6d-83c7a3e1c147
  6. Can I use an old Windows 10 USB with a new product key?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I use an old Windows 10 USB with a new product key?: Title. I received a disk instead of a USB with my Windows 10 product key, problem is I don't have a disk drive and I don't have a USB laying around for me to download Windows from right now. So can I just download off the old USB and enter the new product code? submitted by...
  7. Reload windows 10 use old product key

Reload windows 10 use old product key: I, had a new windows 8 computer and took the free upgraded to windows 10. I have the product code for the windows 10. If I reload the computer will I be able to use the product code again? Thanks...
  8. WINDOWS 10 PRODUCT KEY ON NEW PC

WINDOWS 10 PRODUCT KEY ON NEW PC: when i purchase the new PC, windows 10 is already installed, but for a reason i uninstalled it and installed windows 7, now I want to reinstall the same windows 10 but i have not the product key, How to get it? HOW TO GET THE SAME PRODUCT KEY FOR THE PC TO INSTALL WINDOWS...
  9. Previous Product Key On New Build

Previous Product Key On New Build: I recently completed a new build and was told that I could use the product key associated to my microsoft account from my previous PC. However, once windows was installed the key would not activate. I've followed all troubleshooting steps regarding activation in general and...
  10. Using old product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Using old product key: I purchased a long while back original product key for windows 10 pro and used it on my stationary PC which I don't have anymore (only kept the HDD), and I was wondering if there is any chance my key can be transfered onto my new machine (laptop) or do I really have to buy...