Windows 10: Using an outboard HDD

Discus and support Using an outboard HDD in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi. I have several technical projects on. I also have several user accounts, with names like DESKTOP SHOPPING, DESKTOP ELECTRONICS, DESKTOP ARDUINO,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by richard2277, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Using an outboard HDD

Hi. I have several technical projects on. I also have several user accounts, with names like DESKTOP SHOPPING, DESKTOP ELECTRONICS, DESKTOP ARDUINO, etc. I also have 2 laptops. I don't want to duplicate files, so the intention is to use shortcuts to point to where the engineering data is located. So, if in DESKTOP ARDUINO the shortcut to a document will point to where it resides (which won't be on the ARDUINO desktop). It works of course when the data is on the local HDD. But, what if I place the data on an outboard HDD? In theory if I add a partition to my local HDD, that may change the drive letter of the outboard HDD. Well, I worry that it will. And then the shortcuts won't work. Any thoughts? Thanks. Rich

:)

richard2277, Jan 29, 2020

2. Using an outboard HDD

Hi. My scheme would work then if where the data connected to say Z drive. All this shows the weakness of the current system of allocating drive letters. If the drive letters could be set in stone by the user, things would be fine. I mean if I use two laptops the outboard HDD might well be allocated different drive letters on each laptop. But, I think setting the outboard HDD to drive Z on both laptops ought to work.

richard2277, Feb 26, 2020
  3. Using an outboard HDD

OK, will set my outboard HDD to Z drive. Will see what happens in the next weeks. If a problem occurs I'll start a new thread.

4. Using an outboard HDD

Using an outboard HDD

Hi. I have several technical projects on. I also have several user accounts, with names like DESKTOP SHOPPING, DESKTOP ELECTRONICS, DESKTOP ARDUINO, etc. I also have 2 laptops. I don't want to duplicate files, so the intention is to use shortcuts to point to where the engineering data is located. So, if in DESKTOP ARDUINO the shortcut to a document will point to where it resides (which won't be on the ARDUINO desktop). It works of course when the data is on the local HDD. But, what if I place the data on an outboard HDD? In theory if I add a partition to my local HDD, that may change the drive letter of the outboard HDD. Well, I worry that it will. And then the shortcuts won't work. Any thoughts? Thanks. Rich

Thema:

Using an outboard HDD

1. Using an outboard HDD - Similar Threads - Using outboard HDD

2. Use HDD Storage as GPU Storage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Use HDD Storage as GPU Storage: Hi! I am Noki! So i have a laptop that runs pretty fast, but i wanna play games like Fortnite, but even at 720p all Low, other than 100% 3D Res, it rund 10/15fps, IT'S AWFUL! But for example Genshin Impact 720p runs 45fps on Medium Graphics. So that's why i am confused. So is...
  3. Use HDD Storage as GPU Storage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Use HDD Storage as GPU Storage: Hi! I am Noki! So i have a laptop that runs pretty fast, but i wanna play games like Fortnite, but even at 720p all Low, other than 100% 3D Res, it rund 10/15fps, IT'S AWFUL! But for example Genshin Impact 720p runs 45fps on Medium Graphics. So that's why i am confused. So is...
  4. system keeps using 100% of HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    system keeps using 100% of HDD: This is so frustrating as it slows down the PC big time!I'm using a Dell Inspiron desktop with 1000GB HDD and 8 GB RAM which is using W11 and kept upto date on auto.For some considerable time after switching on the HDD disc shows 100% and this can last for upwards of 30...
  5. system keeps using 100% of HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    system keeps using 100% of HDD: This is so frustrating as it slows down the PC big time!I'm using a Dell Inspiron desktop with 1000GB HDD and 8 GB RAM which is using W11 and kept upto date on auto.For some considerable time after switching on the HDD disc shows 100% and this can last for upwards of 30...
  6. Using SSD or HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Using SSD or HDD: I just bought a new computer with Windows 10 Pro installed. It came with a 512 Gb SSD and 1 Tb HDD. It automatically has been storing all of my data on the SSD. I am not a game player and have only one game downloaded. My data totals only 24 Gb's so far and adding more...
  7. Use SSD as cache for HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Use SSD as cache for HDD: Hello everyone! I was wondering if I could use a 128GB SSD as cache for my 2TB HDD. What program should I use? Is it a native Windows feature? Is this the right subreddit to post this? Thanks :) submitted by /u/GnossisYT [link] [comments]...
  8. Used hdd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Used hdd: Can anyone out there tell me how to prepare a used hdd so that I can store backups on it? I tried and windows 10 keeps telling me there is not enough room for a shadow copy. I am trying to make a system image backup on a 500gb hdd and store it on a 1tb hdd. how is there not...
  9. Can't Use My HDD ??

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Use My HDD ??: Installed Windows 10 a few weeks back and been storing myy games on the HDD, however today it wont work and I get this error... " We couldn't set your default save location " The SSD works fine, but i cannot install apps on the HDD 0x80070005 [ATTACH] 143021
  10. Using SSD and HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Using SSD and HDD: I have a hard drive and an SSD. I want to use the SSD for booding and the hard drive for storing everything else except a few apps (ex. chrome and frequently used ones). I am new to windows. How do I do this?...