Windows 10: Using Authenticator to access Surface Pro instead of PIN/Password

Discus and support Using Authenticator to access Surface Pro instead of PIN/Password in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi,I have removed the requirement for Windows Hello PIN - it therefore requires my password to access my deviceI have removed a password and gone... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by DarylUK2023, May 11, 2023.

1. Using Authenticator to access Surface Pro instead of PIN/Password

Hi,I have removed the requirement for Windows Hello PIN - it therefore requires my password to access my deviceI have removed a password and gone 'passwordless' using the Authenticator Yet, I still enter my original now removed password to access my account on the device - how can I have it so the Authenticator opens the device not a static password?Thanks!

:)

DarylUK2023, May 11, 2023

2. Want to sign on with PIN instead of Password

Thank you for your reply Person.

Glad to know that the Pop up with the password manager is disabled with the above suggestion.

Try the below suggestions to fix the issue with Signing in using PIN authentication.

Steps 1: Launch the File Explorer.

Step 2: Browse to this location, and delete the contents of the folder.

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\NGC

Step 3: Go to Settings (Press Windows
    and I key), Accounts > Sign in Options.

Step 4: Click on Add a PIN and set your PIN.

Step 5: Restart the computer and check the status of the issue.

Hope it helps.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, May 11, 2023
  3. reset password-pin on surface pro 4

Hi Kevin,

If you can't access Windows at all due to a forgotten PIN, please refer to
    Barb Bowman
    suggestions on this thread. Otherwise, you can follow
    Michael Gall's instructions on this thread.

We hope this helps.

Adrianne Buc, May 11, 2023
  4. Using Authenticator to access Surface Pro instead of PIN/Password

Password protected share able to access without authentication

We have configured samba with password protected share folders. The problem what we are facing is, due to windows caching authentication is not asking when we change the password .For example Share has been configured with user name and password, when
    we trying to access the share, authentication prompt is getting and able to access with configured user name and password. Once password has been modified, expected while trying to access the share, should ask authentication prompt and access
    only with modified password. But share was able to access without authentication prompt.

• On accessing samba share from ubuntu i don’t face any problems. Once we unmount the share after using it, it is prompting for username and password for the second time.
    • But in windows when I access samba share for the first time, second time it is not prompting for the username and password simply the samba shared is getting accessible.
    • I just want windows machine to ask password every time when the user closes the share, instead of doing “net use * /delete” every time, and we can’t request
      user to do this every time.
    • I tried below steps to disable windows cache , but still I am facing observing same behavior.
    Click Start >Run > gpedit.msc

Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options

Set "Interactive Logon: Number of Previous Logins To Cache"
    value to ‘0’

Kindly let us know any way to fix this issue?

Naveenkumar A, May 11, 2023
Thema:

Using Authenticator to access Surface Pro instead of PIN/Password

1. Using Authenticator to access Surface Pro instead of PIN/Password - Similar Threads - Using Authenticator access

2. Using Authenticator to access Surface Pro instead of PIN/Password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using Authenticator to access Surface Pro instead of PIN/Password: Hi,I have removed the requirement for Windows Hello PIN - it therefore requires my password to access my deviceI have removed a password and gone 'passwordless' using the Authenticator Yet, I still enter my original now removed password to access my account on the device -...
  3. Using Authenticator to access Surface Pro instead of PIN/Password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Using Authenticator to access Surface Pro instead of PIN/Password: Hi,I have removed the requirement for Windows Hello PIN - it therefore requires my password to access my deviceI have removed a password and gone 'passwordless' using the Authenticator Yet, I still enter my original now removed password to access my account on the device -...
  4. Disable password and use PIN instead

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Disable password and use PIN instead: Hello,On this documentation page it's explained why Windows Hello PIN is more secure than regular Microsoft Account password. I understand the security reasons and would like to act on this advice, so I set up Windows Hello. Unfortunately, this only created a second way to...
  5. Disable password and use PIN instead

Disable password and use PIN instead: Hello,On this documentation page it's explained why Windows Hello PIN is more secure than regular Microsoft Account password. I understand the security reasons and would like to act on this advice, so I set up Windows Hello. Unfortunately, this only created a second way to...
  6. Use Password Instead of PIN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Use Password Instead of PIN: I've always used a password to sign in to Windows but recently Windows forced me to change to a numerical PIN. I have tried to change it back by going to "Sign-in options" but there is no option to come up with a password. I tried to select "Windows Hello PIN" but it says...
  7. Use Password Instead of PIN

Use Password Instead of PIN: I've always used a password to sign in to Windows but recently Windows forced me to change to a numerical PIN. I have tried to change it back by going to "Sign-in options" but there is no option to come up with a password. I tried to select "Windows Hello PIN" but it says...
  8. Use Password Instead of PIN

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  9. use password instead of pin?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    use password instead of pin?: hey, i have reinstalled windows on my sys and now instead of a password it asks me to set a pin for login?is there a way i can disable the pin and use password as a login method?piyushagarwal3...
  10. Use PIN instead of Password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Use PIN instead of Password: I have two MS accounts. One is password/PIN protected and is Administrator also. The other frequently used is only Password protected. I tried to give a PIN which is not accepted. * Moved from MSN [Original Title: PIN INSTEAD PW]...