Windows 10: Using B: or even A: as drive letters

Discus and support Using B: or even A: as drive letters in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I stumbled of a support question in a game forum, the guy had bought a new HDD and seemingly assigned its drive letter to B: . *Eek Now, for us... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Coram Daes, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Using B: or even A: as drive letters

I stumbled of a support question in a game forum, the guy had bought a new HDD and seemingly assigned its drive letter to B: . *Eek

Now, for us older geeks we do recall that A and B was reserved for floppy, but it seems Windows still has issues using those letter for primary drive designation. I searched a bit and found this:

Coram Daes, Jan 14, 2017

2. No floppies any more, need drive letters A and B for USB or other devices

The new motherboards do not even cater for floppies, so why reserve drive letters A and B for non-existing devices.

I do not like very large partitions because defragmenting takes too long and it is very difficult to find the file I require (Needle in a heystack). Therefore I partition my HDs creating a logical partition for each of my subjects.

This means, that together with the back-up disks, I have run out of drive letters.

I need to be able to assign A and/or B to a removable dribe (USB stick, SD card, etc).

This is a simple issue which could be dealt with by Microsoft in short and issued as an update‼‼‼

Martin-Stephan C.A.M.de Rakovszky, Jan 14, 2017
  3. No floppies any more, need drive letters A and B for USB or other devices

Thanks

After I assigned A and B to two drives with Windows disk-management, Partition Wizard allowed these letters for HDs too‼

Martin-Stephan C.A.M.de Rakovszky, Jan 14, 2017
  4. Using B: or even A: as drive letters

We may have our own reservations about Windows and how it works but Windows reservation of drive letters come first *Cool

ComputerGeek, Jan 14, 2017
  5. Kari Win User
    Windows drive management is pretty advanced and logical. A and B are reserved for removable drives (not only floppy drives, any removable drive) therefore no indexing. There's nothing to prevent users to use them for instance for CD / DVD drives or hard disks not needing to be indexed like backup drive which only contains image backups and will usually be disconnected when not doing a backup.*

6. Berton Win User
    One thing I ran into with drive lettering is that Windows automatically assigned Z: to the 1st NAS drive I attached to my Router then when I attached the 2nd drive Windows assigned Y:, digging into information online indicated that is by default but can be changed later.

As for A: I found that if the BIOS has a setting for it and there is a pin socket for the cable on the motherboard Windows will have issues even though I had disabled that drive in the BIOS.

Berton, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Using B: or even A: as drive letters

1. Using B: or even A: as drive letters - Similar Threads - Using drive letters

2. Letters 'B' 'N' 'M' ',' not working when travelling.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Letters 'B' 'N' 'M' ',' not working when travelling.: Hello I have a Surface Book and keyboard letters 'b' 'n' 'm' ',' are not working in South America. It is a EU-based machine which works fine back home. The on-screen keyboard is the only workaround. All drivers are up to date. Can anyone assist?...
  3. Letters 'B' 'N' 'M' ',' not working when travelling.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Letters 'B' 'N' 'M' ',' not working when travelling.: Hello I have a Surface Book and keyboard letters 'b' 'n' 'm' ',' are not working in South America. It is a EU-based machine which works fine back home. The on-screen keyboard is the only workaround. All drivers are up to date. Can anyone assist?...
  4. Letters 'B' 'N' 'M' ',' not working when travelling.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. How to make Windows not use a Drive Letter?

How to make Windows not use a Drive Letter?: Hello. I am using a software called SSHFS-Win Manager to be able to connect to SSH on the network. This software uses a fuse driver which uses for example: D drive for fuse (though not showing up in File Explorer) and E drive for the files in SSH connection. (It uses Drive D...
  6. Surface Book keeps typing letter "b" but "b" key not working!

Surface Book keeps typing letter "b" but "b" key not working!: Hi My Surface Book keeps typing the letter "b". As soon as the Surface Book starts and at the login screen it starts typing b multiple times in the password field itself. I have tried all kinds of troubleshooting: - Reinstalled the keyboard driver - Latest Windows...
  7. how to mody letter spacing a b c

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to mody letter spacing a b c: sometime when typing in windows, the letter spacing enlarge about 150%, not in double. [spacing in between abc & a b c ] How can I modify it?...
  8. Drive letters A: & B:

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drive letters A: & B:: Is there any caveat in assigning drive letter "A:" or "B:" to a DVD drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drive-letters-a-b/0020038d-d43a-443a-b02d-d6a481383d8b
  9. Any problems assigning letter 'B' to an external drive?

Any problems assigning letter 'B' to an external drive?: Hi. I seem to have collected rather a lot of external USB drives, most of which contain Ortho4XP terrain files for X-Plane 11, if that means anything to anyone!, and I am running out of available drive letters... Does anyone know any reason why my latest (4TB) drive should...
  10. Opening drive A and B.

Opening drive A and B.: I need more storage space to Update Windows. How do I open Driver space? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/opening-drive-a-and-b/8a201534-2cad-4ec4-b4fe-4ddd295b2680