Windows 10: Using Batch files to perform sequential tasks

Discus and support Using Batch files to perform sequential tasks in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, I think I used to do this all the time but that was a long time ago. I want to open a Wordperfect (WP) document then run an executable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by rboppy, Jul 24, 2016.

1. rboppy Win User

Using Batch files to perform sequential tasks

Hi,

I think I used to do this all the time but that was a long time ago.

I want to open a Wordperfect (WP) document then run an executable program, the WP file opens fine but the executable won't run until I close the WP file. Any clues?

Regards,

Jim

:)

rboppy, Jul 24, 2016
  2. Tryx3 Win User
    Tryx3, Jul 24, 2016
  3. Tryx3 Win User
    UAC prompt from batch runas administrator

If you can change to running the batch file from a shortcut instead of the command line then you could solve the problem by setting that shortcut to requiring Admin [right-click on the shortcut, Properties, Advanced, Run as Admin]. The desired standard
    UAC prompt will then appear whenever the shortcut runs.

If you start the batch file from Task scheduler then that can be made to co-operate with you. It normally refuses to run shortcuts but you can work around the limitation - see

Use Windows 7 Task scheduler to run a batch file minimised and with a specific icon

Tryx3, Jul 24, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

What code are you using?

Samuria, Jul 24, 2016
  5. rboppy Win User
    *HuhThe closest answer I can come up with is DOS!

rboppy, Jul 24, 2016
  6. Samuria Win User
    I meant what is in the batch file

Samuria, Jul 24, 2016
  7. rboppy Win User
    Essentially:
    "c:\documents\wp documents\wp file.wpd"
    "c:\program files\program.exe"

rboppy, Jul 24, 2016
  8. DavidE Win User

Change your bat file to use the start command, essentially like this:

start "c:\documents\wp documents\wp file.wpd"
    start "c:\program files\program.exe"

DavidE, Jul 24, 2016
  9. Interesting, I use it like this, otherwise it will just open CMD window and that is the end of it. *Rolleyes

start "" "c:\documents\wp documents\wp file.wpd"
    start "" "c:\program files\program.exe"

TairikuOkami, Jul 24, 2016
  10. rboppy Win User
    Thanks! The extra pair of quotes got it.*Smile

rboppy, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Using Batch files to perform sequential tasks - Similar Threads - Using Batch files

2. Deleting files using a batch file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting files using a batch file: I created a batch file using AI to delete files older than 3 months from a specific folder but the code I received does not work:. Files are dated in DD/MM/YYYY format in the folder.@echo offset "folder=C:\Users\CC\Documents\0Temp"set "cutoffdate="for /f "tokens=1-3 delims=/"...
  3. Deleting files using a batch file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleting files using a batch file: I created a batch file using AI to delete files older than 3 months from a specific folder but the code I received does not work:. Files are dated in DD/MM/YYYY format in the folder.@echo offset "folder=C:\Users\CC\Documents\0Temp"set "cutoffdate="for /f "tokens=1-3 delims=/"...
  4. how to number files sequentially in file explorer ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to number files sequentially in file explorer ?: Hi,I have multiple files in a folder, and I want to add a sequential prefix to all the files using power shell.For example:random name file.pdfrandom name file.pdfrandom name file.pdfrandom name file.pdfrandom name file.pdfChange to:C3.1 random name file.pdfC3.2 random name...
  5. Task Scheduler - Batch File

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Scheduler - Batch File: I am attempting to use Task Scheduler to run a batch file automatically every day. I am following instructions that I found on the Web. As far as I can tell I have set up Task Scheduler correctly, the only problem being that it doesn't run! I have uploaded screenshots of the...
  6. Task Scheduler - Batch File

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task Scheduler - Batch File: I am attempting to use Task Scheduler to run a batch file automatically every day. I am following instructions that I found on the Web. As far as I can tell I have set up Task Scheduler correctly, the only problem being that it doesn't run! I have uploaded screenshots of the...
  7. use Task Scheduler to start batch file, minimized?

in Windows 10 Support
    use Task Scheduler to start batch file, minimized?: I have already tried to find the solution using google, but literally none of them worked! At one point I edited the file/folder names, and changed the locations to those in the "solutions" but even that didn't work! You are my last hope! is there any way, any at all, you...
  8. File transfer sequential order

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File transfer sequential order: I have many large running actions of file transfers, is it possible to switch these to complete sequentially? Rather than all of them completing at the same time which slows down each individual action....
  9. Batch files for use in BSOD debugging

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Batch files for use in BSOD debugging: [img] Warning This thread is for use by the BSOD team ONLY, to store batch files that can be used to collect additional data, fix settings or anything else that is useful in debugging BSOD problems in Windows 10. [img] Information The way I see it working is the first post...
  10. Problems automating a batch file with task scheduler

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems automating a batch file with task scheduler: I want run this bat file from task scheduler @Rem %pf% expands to the right program location depending if it is x86 or x64 system @setlocal @set pf=%ProgramFiles% @if not "[%ProgramFiles(x86)%]"=="[]" set pf=%ProgramFiles(x86)% @Rem %macropath% expands to the demo...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. perform sequentially batch