Windows 10: Using bitlocker recovery key from USB drive not working

Discus and support Using bitlocker recovery key from USB drive not working in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have a Dell E6420 laptop which was running Windows 7 Pro and in-place upgraded it to Windows 10 Enterprise. Before upgrading I removed bitlocker and... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by NIPSTech, Dec 25, 2019.

1. NIPSTech Win User

Using bitlocker recovery key from USB drive not working

I have a Dell E6420 laptop which was running Windows 7 Pro and in-place upgraded it to Windows 10 Enterprise. Before upgrading I removed bitlocker and re-enabled it after the upgrade. I backed up the recovery key to a USB thumb drive. Now, when I try to boot the machine with the thumb drive inserted it still asks me to type in my key. On Windows 7 I could have the thumb drive inserted and the system drive would automatically unlock. Has something changed that would cause it to not automatically unlock and how do I get the system drive to automatically unlock? I tried all the available USB ports on the computer and reformatted the thumb drive as FAT, FAT32 etc to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jon

:)

NIPSTech, Dec 25, 2019

2. recovery bitlocker blue screen

Hi Rick,

Please follow the suggestions below and check if you are able to boot to your desktop.

• Places to look for your BitLocker key:
      • On a printout you saved. Look in places you keep important papers.
      • Saved on a USB flash drive. Plug the USB flash drive into your locked PC and follow the instructions. If you saved the key as a text file on the flash drive, use a different computer to read the text file.
      • In your Microsoft account. To get your recovery key, go to
        BitLocker Recovery Keys.

• Or ask someone for help:
      • Ask someone with administrator privileges on the same PC to unlock it with their key.
      • If your PC is connected to a domain (usually a work or school computer), ask a system administrator for your recovery key

Hope this helps in resolving the bitlocker recovery keys. Keep us posted on the bitlocker recovery key issues. We are happy to help!

Joy Kemprai, Dec 25, 2019
  3. Mr U Win User
    Bitlocker recovery key is not working

I forgot my bitlocker password on a fresh 32 bit flash drive. I saved the file for recovery and when I try to use it, it says the key is not valid for this drive. It's the correct key, the only drive and I've checked it 5 times. What sense does it make to
    make a recovery key if it doesn't work when you need it. I used bitlocker in windows 10 to do this.

Anyone see this before or any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

-

4. Using bitlocker recovery key from USB drive not working

bitlocker recovery key

Hi Singh,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get clarity on this issue and assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

1. Are you not able login to your computer due to BitLocker Recovery Key?
    2. Did you ever setup BitLocker Recovery Key on your computer?
    3. Are you not able to login to your Microsoft Account to find the BitLocker Recovery Key?
    4. Are you using Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Professional?

Meanwhile, try finding BitLocker Recovery Key if you have ever setup BitLocker Recovery Key for your computer.

Please elaborate on the issue, so that we can understand the concern and get back to us to help you further.

Shafeeq_Khan, Dec 25, 2019
Thema:

Using bitlocker recovery key from USB drive not working

1. Using bitlocker recovery key from USB drive not working - Similar Threads - Using bitlocker recovery

2. BitLocker recovery key not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BitLocker recovery key not working: Hello, I have got a blue screen with request to enter BitLocker recovery key. I logged in to my account and used listed recovery key. But this recovery key does not help and there is no other option to get access to PC anymore. I looked into all possible information on web...
  3. BitLocker recovery key not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BitLocker recovery key not working: Hello, I have got a blue screen with request to enter BitLocker recovery key. I logged in to my account and used listed recovery key. But this recovery key does not help and there is no other option to get access to PC anymore. I looked into all possible information on web...
  4. bitlocker recovery key not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    bitlocker recovery key not working: I am receiving a bitlocker recovery key message. I entered the bitlocker recovery key 3 different times and it tries to restart but doesn't. I am getting the same request for a bitlocker recovery key. I am not able to do anything further on the computer. Just keep getting...
  5. BitLocker Recovery key Not Working!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker Recovery key Not Working!: Hi Please Help me!!!! I changed my windows password and my password BitLocker on the driver not working anymore. it doesn't accept the recovery key and the Key ID has changed!!!...
  6. BitLocker recovery key is not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BitLocker recovery key is not working: My computer got fixed recently and the BitLocker key that showed up when logging into my microsoft account is wrong. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bitlocker-recovery-key-is-not-working/71503dd2-7ae7-4179-843c-45f33f6cd0aa
  7. BitLocker Recovery key not working

BitLocker Recovery key not working: My dell tablet locked me out and is asking for a BitLocker recovery key, but the tablet is under my dads email so I can't access it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bitlocker-recovery-key-not-working/0dbd4f1f-2d95-4ad3-84b8-a65a27976bb2
  8. Bitlocker Recover Key. How to Save the Recovery Key to a USB Drive?

Bitlocker Recover Key. How to Save the Recovery Key to a USB Drive?: I have access to my Microsoft Account that has the saved information of my Bitlocker Recovery Keys, it includes information such as Device Name, Key ID, and the Recovery Key number. But, what I am being asked when booting to a hard drive is a USB Drive with the Bitlocker Key....
  9. Bitlocker Recovery Key is not working

Bitlocker Recovery Key is not working: I have an Asus laptop that we attempted to configure Bitlocker to encrypt the OS drive C: using a USB drive for the startup key. When going through the process to configure this we checked the option to do a startup check before encrypting the drive and I also saved the...
  10. Bitlocker recovery key not working

Bitlocker recovery key not working: I was workig on my pc yesterday and suddenly windows updates happend and asked for a reboot i saved all the files and reeboted my pc since then its asking for a recovery key to boot I had setup bitlcoker on my PC previously so i entered it and it accepted but it went back...