Windows 10: Using BitLocker without a TPM

Discus and support Using BitLocker without a TPM in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have an older PC I want to protect the data on with BitLocker. It's running Windows 10 Pro, and the PC does not have a TPM.If I enable and setup... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Nettlebane, Oct 3, 2022.

1. Using BitLocker without a TPM

I have an older PC I want to protect the data on with BitLocker. It's running Windows 10 Pro, and the PC does not have a TPM.If I enable and setup BitLocker without a TPM, and set it to require a password on boot not a USB key, is the password itself encrypted? Normally the password would be stored in the TPM right? But if there's no TPM, then is the password still encrypted but just stored somewhere else instead?

:)

Nettlebane, Oct 3, 2022

2. FingerPrint With TPM and Bitlocker

I want to use fingerprint as bitlocker/TPM's password/PIN. Please Guide me step by step

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings]

ManjeetDhariwal, Oct 3, 2022
  3. Yan.S Win User
    Bitlocker without TPM

Hi there,

I'm trying to use Bitlocker without TPM

My version is Windows 10 Home, and I try to follow -

To turn on BitLocker Drive Encryption on a computer without a compatible TPM

1. Click Start, type gpedit.mscin the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
    2. If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Continue.
    3. In the Local Group Policy Editor console tree, click Local Computer Policy, click Administrative Templates, click Windows Components, and then clickBitLocker Drive Encryption.
    4. Double-click the setting Control Panel Setup: Enable Advanced Startup Options.
    5. Select the Enabled option, select the Allow BitLocker without a compatible TPM check box, and then click OK.
    You have changed the policy setting so that you can use a startup key instead of a TPM.

1. Close the Local Group Policy Editor.
    2. To force Group Policy to apply immediately, you can click Start, typegpupdate.exe /forcein the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
    3. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Security, and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    4. If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Continue.
    5. On the BitLocker Drive Encryption page, click Turn On BitLocker. This will only appear with the operating system volume.
    6. On the Set BitLocker Startup Preferences page, select the Require Startup USB Key at every startup option. This is the only option available for non-TPM configurations. This key must be inserted each time before you start
      the computer.
    7. Insert your USB flash drive in the computer, if it is not already there.
    8. On the Save your Startup Key page, choose the location of your USB flash drive, and then click Save.
    9. On the Save the recovery password page, you will see the following options:
    · Save the password on a USB drive. Saves the password to a USB flash drive.

· Save the password in a folder. Saves the password to a folder on a network drive or other location.

· Print the password. Prints the password

While I have a problem on step 4.

Double-click the setting Control Panel Setup: Enable Advanced Startup Options.

I can find "BitLocker Drive Encryption" on my group policy editor, while I cannot find
    Control Panel Setup: Enable Advanced Startup Options anywhere.

Thank you for your help.

Best Regards,

Yan

Yan.S, Oct 3, 2022
  4. Using BitLocker without a TPM

Query related to using BitLocker and TPM on PC

Hi Robin,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate your interest towards BitLocker and TPM on Windows 10.

We do have a dedicated forum where you should be able to find answers to all your queries related to BitLocker and TPM. Let me help you in pointing towards the right direction, I
    would suggest you to post your query on
    TechNet forums
    , where we have support professionals with expertise on BitLocker and TPM to assist you with your query.

Articles for reference:

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Oct 3, 2022
Thema:

Using BitLocker without a TPM

1. Using BitLocker without a TPM - Similar Threads - Using BitLocker without

2. Using BitLocker without a TPM

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Using BitLocker without a TPM: I have an older PC I want to protect the data on with BitLocker. It's running Windows 10 Pro, and the PC does not have a TPM.If I enable and setup BitLocker without a TPM, and set it to require a password on boot not a USB key, is the password itself encrypted? Normally the...
  3. Using BitLocker without a TPM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using BitLocker without a TPM: I have an older PC I want to protect the data on with BitLocker. It's running Windows 10 Pro, and the PC does not have a TPM.If I enable and setup BitLocker without a TPM, and set it to require a password on boot not a USB key, is the password itself encrypted? Normally the...
  4. Enable Bitlocker Without TPM

Enable Bitlocker Without TPM: Hello everyone, i need to enable BitLocker on all the computers all parittions inside the company using a script or command line without enabling TPM option and backup the recovery key to AD DS. is there a way to achieve that, i have searched a lot to do this with no...
  5. Bitlocker issue on PC without TPM module

Bitlocker issue on PC without TPM module: recently upgraded from Window 10 home (HP OEM ) to Pro on a desktop. tried turning on Bitlocker for the first time on C: and saved the recovery key on a seperate USB and on microsoft account. choose full disk encryption and rebooted the system for the first time. realized,...
  6. WHY use TPM with bitlocker?

WHY use TPM with bitlocker?: i still have to understand WHY to use TPM with bitlocker. these are my concerns, i tried to use bitlocker with my tpm but the encryption was "free" without to enter any password at boot. Ok this kind of encryption is useful ONLY IF a thief steal ONLY the hd .... but what if...
  7. Bitlocker with TPM

Bitlocker with TPM: Hi , I,m not sure if this is the right place to post this . Anyway , My query is about encryption on win10 pro . Previously I had a laptop with no TPM so I had to us the group policy editor to allow encryption to work , fine ,all was working and I had to type a password...
  8. BitLocker not requiring password at boot. (Without TPM)

BitLocker not requiring password at boot. (Without TPM): I've recently installed bitlocker on my computer. Although windows says my C: drive is encrypted; I am not asked for my decryption password when i boot the computer. I get put straight into the login screen. I've done the necessary steps to enable bitlocker without TPM but...
  9. Bitlocker without TPM help

Bitlocker without TPM help: Hi all, I've been having a bit of trouble trying to get Bitlocker working on my Dad's laptop. He recently bought a new laptop with Win 7 pro and I upgraded it to Win 10. It all went smoothly except now when I'm trying to get Bitlocker to encrypt his drive. It has an ssd...
  10. How to Use Bitlocker on Only Non System Drive and without TPM

How to Use Bitlocker on Only Non System Drive and without TPM: I want to use Bitlocker on my Non System E Drive without TPM. I read somewhere to do the following for without TPM: " Under Local Computer Policy navigate to Computer Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Windows Components \ Bit Locker Drive Encryption \ Operating...