Windows 10: using copy/paste in command prompt

Discus and support using copy/paste in command prompt in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Why can't I Paste into the command prompt box? I was trying to type a command into the command prompt box, so I though I'd save time by using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by billt4g, Feb 27, 2017.

1. billt4g Win User

using copy/paste in command prompt

Why can't I Paste into the command prompt box?

I was trying to type a command into the command prompt box, so I though I'd save time by using "Copy/Paste", however this wouldn't work! Why?

:)

billt4g, Feb 27, 2017
  2. Billt4G Win User

Hey, I suss'd it, If I "Copy" something to the clipboard, it stays there and can be "Pasted" into various places.

However, if I go to the Command Prompt Box, and first "left Click" to mark my place, then the clipboard is wiped out. so nothing is left to paste!! But, If I don't do the "left Click" first, just do a "Right Click" the contents of the clipboard are still
    there and get pasted!!

Billt4G, Feb 27, 2017
  3. using copy/paste in command prompt

Hi there,

Can you right-click on the title bar of the command prompt window and paste from there?

using copy/paste in command prompt [​IMG]

Mike Galvin, Feb 27, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, exactly why that may be I can't tell you, as my crystal ball is currently down for unforeseen scheduled maintenance *chuckle.

File Explorer - Copy/Cut and Paste function not working

This suggests a 3rd party program may be interfering.

Try paste into your command prompt in Safe Mode. If that works, try a process of elimination.

dalchina, Feb 27, 2017
  5. sml156 Win User
    Check the properties of your Command prompt. Right click on the top bar and select Properties.

using copy/paste in command prompt [​IMG]

Make sure use Legacy Mode is Not ​selected.

sml156, Feb 28, 2017
  6. billt4g Win User
    No, that's not it.
    I have discovered that my problem comes from first "left clicking" the mouse within the Command Prompt window, before trying to paste the clipboard. Apparently this initiates a "select" mode, and clears the clipboard.

billt4g, Feb 28, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hi, does your reply also address my post #2?

dalchina, Feb 28, 2017
  8. billt4g Win User

Not exactly, as I never tried to see what happens in "safe mode". I believe that I just did not understand that "left clicking" in the command prompt window cleared out the clipboard..

billt4g, Feb 28, 2017
  9. lx07 Win User
    In the past left click was copy and right click paste (only CMD not powershell)

CTRL+V is a pretty new way of pasting I think. Don't think it worked in windows 8 but I'm not 100% sure.

Anyway you are correct. Left click (without selecting anything) clears the clipboard as it replaces the existing contents with nothing as that is what you selected.

10. dalchina New Member
    I can left click in the command prompt window and still paste - provided there was sthg in the buffer.

dalchina, Feb 28, 2017
  11. Kyhi Win User
    as in pic (post 3) select properties and check "quickedit mode"

because there is no way I constantly gonna remember and type all the cmd strings...

I c/p from txt to cmd all the time testing when creating batch files

12. sml156 Win User
    I did not know that left clicking in the command prompt window would delete the contents of the clipboard, I tried it because I didn't think it would work, I learned something today.

As Kyhi said I to use the clipboard to paste commands, When I right click in the command window it automatically pastes itself in.

sml156, Feb 28, 2017
  13. billt4g Win User

Thanks for all the helpful comments, I think some of us have learned soothing here. I at least now know how to correctly paste into the command Prompt window, which is what I needed..

Ta all.

billt4g, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. using copy/paste in command prompt - Similar Threads - using copy paste

2. Command prompt lost many useful commands

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Command prompt lost many useful commands: Hi thereCMD on my Windows 10 PC has lost many useful commands.If I type dir it lists files in the current directory. It also responds correctly to cd, copy, eraseBut most other commands are lost. For example, help gives this response:'help' is not recognized as an internal or...
  3. Command prompt lost many useful commands

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Command prompt lost many useful commands: Hi thereCMD on my Windows 10 PC has lost many useful commands.If I type dir it lists files in the current directory. It also responds correctly to cd, copy, eraseBut most other commands are lost. For example, help gives this response:'help' is not recognized as an internal or...
  4. Using command prompt to backup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Using command prompt to backup: Hello My computer has crashed and is not loading past the blue screen but it does give me advanced options to go onto the command prompt. I am wondering if there is a way from command prompt, to back up all my files on my PC hard drive to my one drive also on the pc or if...
  5. Cant paste in Command Prompt

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cant paste in Command Prompt: I was trying to fix my apps icons because its appearing as a cross and black background, I tried the steps that one of the community told me which is doing this command: DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth DISM.exe...
  6. Doesn’t recognize WiFi adapter after copy and paste something in Command prompt

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Doesn’t recognize WiFi adapter after copy and paste something in Command prompt: So I was trying to fix my Window start key, I skipped on a video and followed his tutorial, then once I did the text things in CMD and restarted my laptop it won’t recognize my WiFi adapter. So one in the comment section also had the save issue but he just factory reset...
  7. Cant use Command Prompt

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cant use Command Prompt: So as you can see in the SECOND photo below those are my Enviromental Variables. I cant use my Command Prompt for anything not even to verify app versions. For some odd reason its configured to a 32 bit system and a OpenSSh. I dont know what it means and I suspect its the...
  8. Search using the Command Prompt

in Windows 10 Support
    Search using the Command Prompt: Hi - I need a bit of help but it cannot be too technical as I don't understand half of what I read in these threads*Confused My computer will not boot into Windows 10 (10.0.18302.356) but it does get so far as a Recovery Screen which tells me that a critical system driver is...
  9. Printing problem through command prompt using copy and type command on lpt port

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Printing problem through command prompt using copy and type command on lpt port: There is an issue in windows 10 that if the copy and type command is fired to lpt port to print on theremal printer, it is not happening. Kindly let me know the solution for this....
  10. Trying to copy with command prompt

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trying to copy with command prompt: I've been trying for hours now, with copy, xcopy and robocopy, to just copy one file from my hard drive to a thumb drive. I can't even get it to copy it from the desktop, to the desktop. I've tried I think 40 or 50 different combinations, based on different articles that I'm...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how do i copy and paste into command prompt on windows 10 using a mouse