Windows 10: Using Disk Imaging Software with a Powered USB 3.0 Hub

Discus and support Using Disk Imaging Software with a Powered USB 3.0 Hub in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi all. Are there any complications using disk imaging software with a powered USB 3.0 hub? Do you ever need to bypass the hub and plug a drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by radiowaves, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Using Disk Imaging Software with a Powered USB 3.0 Hub

Hi all. Are there any complications using disk imaging software with a powered USB 3.0 hub? Do you ever need to bypass the hub and plug a drive directly into the computer’s USB port to perform certain tasks? For example, will a USB flash rescue drive boot from a hub? I use Macrium Reflect 7.1 free, but I assume this would apply to any disk imaging software.

:)

radiowaves, Nov 24, 2017
  2. Abi99 (2) Win User

My W10 desktop doesn't see my Lumia 950 XL from a USB hub

I have not tried myself, but is that still a USB 2.0 hub and not a USB 3.0?

If it is a USB 3.0 hub, is it powered not by the bus but its own power outlet?

Abi99 (2), Nov 24, 2017
  3. OwenKwon Win User
    Windows 10 media creation tool can't find USB

I don't know this way is already shared.

I was able to create the USB disk by using USB 2.0 HUB with Sandisk USB 3.0 flash drive.

bare Sandisk USB 3.0 flash drive : didn't work

Sandisk USB 3.0 on USB 2.0 HUB : worked

Sandisk USB 3.0 drive seems to use a special driver by the internet searching.

OwenKwon, Nov 24, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

Using Disk Imaging Software with a Powered USB 3.0 Hub

OK, well the obvious answer is try it. Whether it boots or not will be a function of the hardware, not the software. I have certainly booted my tablet from a powered hub with a macrium usb drive.

cereberus, Nov 24, 2017
  5. I thought there might be a consensus in the community regarding the compatibility of disk imaging software with USB hubs. I understand that a hub is hardware. But sometimes there are compatibility issues between certain types of software and hardware (e.g., games and video cards). I wanted to find out if disk imaging software had any compatibility issues with hubs, and if yes, whether it was the exception or the rule. I’m looking at options for a new system setup, some of which would require a hub to be viable. If disk imaging software would most likely work with a hub then I would take a chance on a setup that required one. If it’s 50/50 or less, then I would make sure the system had a free USB 3.0 port that was within easy reach.

radiowaves, Nov 24, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    All winpse booting software prerty much works in same way, so it is not really the software that is the issue. Your question is valid but it is quite possible that the answer varies according to a devices hardware and its bios. I have seen usb devices that will only work on port but not on hub for no obvious reason.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Using Disk Imaging Software with a Powered USB 3.0 Hub

1. Using Disk Imaging Software with a Powered USB 3.0 Hub - Similar Threads - Using Disk Imaging

2. Using a monitor connected to a DynaDock powered USB hub

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Using a monitor connected to a DynaDock powered USB hub: This will take some background to properly frame my question, so please bear with me.First off, I live on a boat. Thus, I have some space constraints on where I can put things. I have 3 Intel NUCs a new one with Win 10, and 2 Win 7 ones and a NAS on a wired network. These are...
  3. USB Hub - Powered or not?

USB Hub - Powered or not?: I've run out of USB Ports on my PC, so I'm looking at a 4 port Hub. My question is this: Do I need a powered Hub or non-powered Hub? Devices to be connected to the Hub are Mouse, Keyboard, USB Headphones and phone charging via USB cable. Thanks. 164695
  4. Anker (Aluminium) powered 7 port USB 3 Hub --Brilliant

Anker (Aluminium) powered 7 port USB 3 Hub --Brilliant: Hi folks some of these USB 3 hubs (powered) just don't seem "man enough" for theh job if you use a few of the ports with unpowered devices on them. I've got 4 X 3.7 GB passport external (self powered) drives attached to an unpowered port on a laptop -- temorarily using...
  5. USB 3 hub interferes with boot

USB 3 hub interferes with boot: With powered USB 3 hub plugged into power, Win 10 does not boot at all. Unplug power to USB hub (usb connections still there), boot is normal. Plug in power to USB hub after boot starts is fine. What is this? Thanks. Peter 134831
  6. USB 3 hub interferes with boot

in Windows 10 Support
    USB 3 hub interferes with boot: With powered USB 3 hub plugged into power, Win 10 does not boot at all. Unplug power to USB hub (usb connections still there), boot is normal. Plug in power to USB hub after boot starts is fine. What is this? Thanks. Peter 134831
  7. Powered USB Hub

Powered USB Hub: Could someone wise please recommend a quality 4 port v3.0 powered USB hub with a UK mains plug PSU? I need it for keyboard, mouse, printer and Saitek X52 Pro joystick - the latter will not work unpowered with the rest. I've had a devil of a time trying to find Best Buy...
  8. Powered USB C Hub to USB 3 - Recommendations and help please

Powered USB C Hub to USB 3 - Recommendations and help please: Hi Recently purchased new rig, not enough USB ports. Got the Asus PRIME x299a so thinking of using the USB C port into a multi USB3 hub. Windows10x64 Any recommendations from personal use etc much appreciated (UK/Europe based please). Sorry as an edit. Will use a...
  9. USB 3 Hub

USB 3 Hub: I have a new computer and noticed that when using a powered USB 3 hub connected to the ports on the back my USB drive are not connecting. This happens with my HDD's and my SSD's. If I plug the drives in directly to the ports they work. I can use the ports on the front. Is...
  10. Powered usb external hard drive in powered usb hub

Powered usb external hard drive in powered usb hub: I have two powered USB 2.0 hard drives that I plan to plug into a powered USB 3.0 hub. I know I won't get the USB 3.0 speed, but should the I also connect each drive's power connection? Thank you for your help. 96467