Windows 10: Using Diskpart to create a bootable USB flash drive

Discus and support Using Diskpart to create a bootable USB flash drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi All, Ive decided to use Diskpart to create a bootable USB flash drive instead of using the Media Creation Tool to create the Windows 10 media. Im... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sportsfan148, May 14, 2019.

1. Using Diskpart to create a bootable USB flash drive

Hi All,
    Ive decided to use Diskpart to create a bootable USB flash drive instead of using the Media Creation Tool to create the Windows 10 media. Im just going to use the Media Creation Tool to download the iso image and diskpart to prepare the flash drive.
    Are the following commands correct? In particular is it OK to put the Active command before the format fs=fat32 command?
    You'll notice that Ive omitted "quick" from the format command. Is that the right way to do a Full Format?
    I would prefer to perform a full format on the USB flash drive so that it checks for errors at the same time. I just want to know that performing a full format after the Active command wont interfere with the Active command in any way.
    Ive also left out Assign. Am I correct in thinking that Assign isn't necessary because Windows will automatically give the flash drive the next available drive letter which is what I want to happen?

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk #
    clean
    convert mbr
    create partition primary
    select partition 1
    active
    format fs=fat32
    exit

Many Thanks

:)

sportsfan148, May 14, 2019

2. Question about creation of bootable UEFI only Win10 USB flash drive with Diskpart

Hi,

I have a UEFI boot laptop (not Legacy BIOS).

If I was to use Diskpart to create a Windows 10 bootable USB flash drive for UEFI only would the following commands be correct? If my understanding is correct there is no need for the "Active" command to be typed in as it isn't required for UEFI bootable
    PC's/laptops or have I got that wrong?

diskpart

list disk

select disk # <- replace # with the actual disk number of the USB flash drive

clean <- this will erase the disk selected above, make sure it is the USB flash drive!

create partition primary

select partition 1

format fs=fat32

exit

Also, just as a matter of interest. Would it also be possible to do this procedure using Disk Management? Obviously you would have to perform the "Clean" command using Diskpart first as that command isn't available in Disk Management as far as I know

Sportsfan_881, May 14, 2019
  3. parelem Win User
    bootable USB drive?

in dos:

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk # //where # = your usb drive
    create partition primary
    select partition 1
    set active
    format fs=fat32 label="whatever"

parelem, May 14, 2019
  4. Using Diskpart to create a bootable USB flash drive

Install Windows 10 using UEFI bootable USB thumb drive

You need to go into you system bios and select allow uefi usb drive. Then add the UEFI usb drive to the boot menu

better way to partition aand create an bootable usb.

For the UEFI system, we can use these steps to create the bootable USB:

1.Locate a 4GB or larger USB flash drive

2.Open Diskpart and run the following command cmd admin type diskpart

• Type DiskPart in the command prompt.
    • Type "List Disk” (make note of the disk number of the target USB drive).
    • Type "Select Disk X”, where X is the target USB drive noted in step 4.
    • Type "Clean”.
    • Type "Create Partition Primary”.
    • Type "format FS=fat32 quick”.
    • Type "Active”.
    • Type "Assign".
    • Type "Exit".

Copy your ISO files to the drive and reboot

never use UEFI it better to repartition and remove UEFI go with legacy bois

bfvetscolakid, May 14, 2019
Thema:

Using Diskpart to create a bootable USB flash drive

1. Using Diskpart to create a bootable USB flash drive - Similar Threads - Using Diskpart create

2. Creating a bootable flash drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creating a bootable flash drive: Hello beautiful people I'm creating a bootable thumb drive because I have 2 new computers and one is having issues. So going by the answers in these forums I have been unsuccessful fixing the issues and the next on the list from here was to do this . My question is How long...
  3. Creating a bootable flash drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating a bootable flash drive: Hello beautiful people I'm creating a bootable thumb drive because I have 2 new computers and one is having issues. So going by the answers in these forums I have been unsuccessful fixing the issues and the next on the list from here was to do this . My question is How long...
  4. Creating a bootable flash drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Create a bootable USB flash drive using Diskpart

Create a bootable USB flash drive using Diskpart: Hi, Its great to see the addition of Option 4 (Diskpart method) in the Create Bootable USB flash drive to install Windows 10 Tutorial . Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 There's an extra command directly after the clean command, "convert mbr". Is this...
  6. Create a bootable USB flash drive using Diskpart

in Windows 10 Support
    Create a bootable USB flash drive using Diskpart: Hi, Its great to see the addition of Option 4 (Diskpart method) in the Create Bootable USB flash drive to install Windows 10 Tutorial . Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 There's an extra command directly after the clean command, "convert mbr". Is this...
  7. Creating bootable USB 3.0 Flash Drive...

Creating bootable USB 3.0 Flash Drive...: I have followed instructions to create my own Windows 10 To Go flash drive. I have two suitable USB 3.0 flash drives: Corsair Voyager GTX and Super Talent RC4, both 128 GB versions. The Corsair Voyager GTX is not a certified Windows To Go drive, whereas the Super Talent...
  8. Questions on creating Win10 Bootable Flash drive using Diskpart method

Questions on creating Win10 Bootable Flash drive using Diskpart method: Hi all, 1.When using Diskpart to create a bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive is it not necessary to use the Assign command at all. Ive noticed some instructions where Assign is used and others where it isn't. What happens if I don't use the Assign command when preparing the...
  9. Question about using Rufus to create a Bootable USB flash drive

Question about using Rufus to create a Bootable USB flash drive: Hi all, Having had a problem using the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive Ive decided to use the Media Creation Tool to download the Windows 10 ISO and then use Rufus to create the bootable USB flash drive. After downloading Rufus onto my...
  10. Is there a way to create bootable USB flash drive and use extra space

in Windows 10 Support
    Is there a way to create bootable USB flash drive and use extra space: @, Thank you. What is WinPESE? Is this the name of your Windows Environment with tools? Yes, that is the reference

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bootable usb using diskpart

2. diskpart commands to create bootable usb

3. create usb drive from diskpart

4. bootable usb error diskpart driver,
  5. windows togo flash diskpart,
  6. diskpart command to create bootable usb,
  7. diskpart bootable flash drive,
  8. using diskpart bootable usb,
  9. will diskpart clean command erase bootable media on usb?,
  10. diskpart create a bootable dos usb fat32,
  11. creating bootable USB or installer using diskpart,