Windows 10: Using DISM to capture a online image you are using, or online image after sysprep command...

Discus and support Using DISM to capture a online image you are using, or online image after sysprep command... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello I am trying to create a .wim or .iso file for use with practice with learning for college with making deployable images for windows 10. Can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jonathan Lee jlee102, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Using DISM to capture a online image you are using, or online image after sysprep command...

Hello I am trying to create a .wim or .iso file for use with practice with learning for college with making deployable images for windows 10.

Can anyone help? I keep getting stuck with the DISM command line after. There is a dism /online command switch that would utilize the sysprep image you generalized right after you booted into the sysprep user profile that was created. However, how would you use DISM.EXE after to use the active sysprep image you are working in as the image that you want to capture? This command below works but it pulls the image to create the .wim file from the D: where the DVD or ISO is being stored when I am testing this in hypervisor v.

Using DISM to capture a online image you are using, or online image after sysprep command... c7499641-fc20-4e76-8076-d3ae551dbf3b?upload=true.png

How do you run this with the /online command switch this just uses the D: to make the image from.

The reason I am doing this is you could take a image that is a known solid good image, then generalize it then store it locally or on a flash drive to take to work with on the server for mass deployment. Or if there is a known issue and you need to look more into you could save the a .wim or .iso of the system you are working on and upload it to a image store directory on a sever remotely for a NOC to look at. This is a perfect way to look into why a system software is failing, you could pull the full image off your machine and then push it to a image server for a higher tier of support for example. Or use this send failed image to your local "noc" or Network Operations Center, this would be great for testing prototype images in a live environment and then pulling the image as its live and sending it back to the NOC without losing the logs and the whole image that was being used before a reimage of a machine.

:)

Jonathan Lee jlee102, Aug 27, 2020

2. WHAT'S THE DIFFRENCE BETWEEN "Capture-CustomImage" and "Capture-Image" WHILE CAPTURING IMAGE USING DISM

Hi.

/Capture-CustomImage only captures the customization files. It can’t be used to capture installation files into a new WIM.

/Capture-Image

Captures an image of a drive to a new .wim file. Captured directories include all subfolders and data. You cannot capture an empty directory. A directory must contain at least one file.

Info for customimage here:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardwa...

Info for Image here:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardwa...

Zackary Vanosdol, Aug 27, 2020
  3. gt90 Win User
    Question about capturing a Windows 10 image using DISM

Hi,

I have the following task to complete; I would like to capture an image from a machine running Windows 10 enterprise using WinPE and DISM and then using Windows Server 2012 R2, PXE boot the captured image onto 10 other machines on the network. I would not like to use any third party tools to complete this task by the way. I am planning on following this guide: Deploy Windows 10 using MDT 2013 and WDS TheITBros but am having some trouble completely comprehending the guide. *Confused If anybody can suggest a better guide which satisfies my requirements I would very much appreciate your suggestions.Using DISM to capture a online image you are using, or online image after sysprep command... :)

My first question is (apart from the Server 2012 R2 which is my domain controllor, the 10 machines I wish to PXE boot the Windows 10 enterprise image to, the switch connecting the 10 machines and the network) how many additional machines do I need to complete this task? (I just want to get a clearer picture of how many machines I will need hence the first question)

My second question is about capturing the Windows 10 enterprise image itself. My current understanding is that I have to run sysprep with the generalise and OOBE (set to shutdown) switches to remove the SID's then boot WinPE on the machine and use DISM to capture the Windows 10 enterprise image. Sounds easy so far except that I've looked at some guides online and rather than capturing just the Windows 10 enterprise image, some people also capture their system and recovery partitions. Just to clear up what I mean by this, when you go into diskpart and then type list volume, you are shown (on my machine at least) the system partition which is about 100MB, the recovery partition which is about 500MB and the partition where my operating system is stored which varies from machine in size but is about 470GB on my machine. My point and question is do I only need to use DISM to capture the partition where my operating system is stored e.g. my C:\ drive and will this be enough when I later deploy the captured Windows 10 enterprise image via Server 2012 R2 and PXE booting?

Also, if you could please give me a small explanation on the steps I need to carry out next after capturing the Windows 10 enterprise image with DISM i.e. the steps to deploy the captured image using Server 2012 R2 and PXE booting across my network.This would be really appreciated, thank you.Using DISM to capture a online image you are using, or online image after sysprep command... :)

Thank you,

4. Using DISM to capture a online image you are using, or online image after sysprep command...

DISM - Parameter "Cleanup-Image" is not known (error 87)

Hello Eric,

To troubleshoot your concern, we suggest that you run DISM Restore Health command. Refer to the steps provided below:

• Open Command Prompt (Administrator).
    • Type the following command:
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

3. Press Enter.

Let us know how it goes.

Thank you.

Stephanie Sal, Aug 27, 2020
Thema:

Using DISM to capture a online image you are using, or online image after sysprep command...

1. Using DISM to capture a online image you are using, or online image after sysprep command... - Similar Threads - Using DISM capture

2. [Error during using DISM] DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    [Error during using DISM] DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth: Hi, I was trying to execute the DISM command successfully:DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealthbut got this error:Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.19041.844 Image Version: 10.0.19044.2251 Error: 998 Invalid access to memory location. The DISM...
  3. [Error during using DISM] DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

in Windows 10 Gaming
    [Error during using DISM] DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth: Hi, I was trying to execute the DISM command successfully:DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealthbut got this error:Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.19041.844 Image Version: 10.0.19044.2251 Error: 998 Invalid access to memory location. The DISM...
  4. [Error during using DISM] DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth: Windows 11 22H2 22621.2134 Public Versionis the Check Health option still working properly?As of late as soon as you hit enter Check Health comes back with an immediate response nothing found. However when you do Scan Health problems are found.Has anyone else seen this?...
  6. DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth: Windows 11 22H2 22621.2134 Public Versionis the Check Health option still working properly?As of late as soon as you hit enter Check Health comes back with an immediate response nothing found. However when you do Scan Health problems are found.Has anyone else seen this?...
  7. dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth command error.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth command error.: While i try the dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth on CMDadmin i get the following error:[===========================55.2% ] Error: 605 The specified buffer contains ill-formed data. The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.logAlso i get this...
  8. dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth command error.

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth command error.: While i try the dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth on CMDadmin i get the following error:[===========================55.2% ] Error: 605 The specified buffer contains ill-formed data. The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.logAlso i get this...
  9. dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth command error.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth: When I run this command its always stuck in 43-44 % its said access denied error 5 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dism-online-cleanup-image-restorehealth/cd798b7b-e035-4d1b-9f9d-3b00a17fd9ca

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dism capture live image

2. capture an image using dism

3. DISM /capture-image

4. how to capture image using dism