Windows 10: Using DISM to restore offline image

Discus and support Using DISM to restore offline image in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi Microsoft, My windows 10 bootloader is corrupted. I receive errors 0xc0000225 and 0xc0000098 while booting. I have found different methods on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by NaumanAziz1, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Using DISM to restore offline image

Hi Microsoft,

My windows 10 bootloader is corrupted. I receive errors 0xc0000225 and 0xc0000098 while booting. I have found different methods on internet to fix it but none of it seemed to work. I was trying to repair my image using dism.exe but the problem i am facing is that i am trying to repair my unbootable windows using windows 10 setup so when i try to use dism /online command it gives an error.

Please tell me the solution of my problem. I have already asked two questions from Microsoft about fixing my unbootable windows but none seemed to work. Please help me since i dont want to clean install my windows 10.

:)

NaumanAziz1, Nov 19, 2018

2. DISM - Parameter "Cleanup-Image" is not known (error 87)

Hello Eric,

To troubleshoot your concern, we suggest that you run DISM Restore Health command. Refer to the steps provided below:

• Open Command Prompt (Administrator).
    • Type the following command:
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

3. Press Enter.

Let us know how it goes.

Thank you.

Stephanie Sal, Nov 19, 2018
  3. DavidY Win User
    DISM - Add or Remove Drivers on an Offline Image

Ah I thought you might be doing the DISM/drivers one.

It is good info and I use parts of this frequently when I'm reinstalling on my old hardware and need to manually add drivers.

I would suggest DISM /Get-Drivers as an alternate to the Powershell step in 2.2 - the table format is quite useful I find.

One method of applying the drivers I tried which seems to work (not sure how valid it is) when clean-installing a machine as a one-off:
    1. Export drivers as per Step 2
    2. Use DISM /Get-Drivers to show which driver is which, and copy only the ones I know are problematic to a subfolder, and add this subfolder to a bootable Windows 10 Setup USB
    3. Boot Windows 10 Setup from the USB
    4. Open a command prompt with Shift F10, type command 'wpeutil shutdown' but don't press enter. Instead, Alt-Tab back to Setup
    5. Follow the normal clean install process, delete partitions and let it install the relevant edition
    6. When it says Restarting in a few seconds, quickly Alt-Tab to the command prompt and press enter, to stop it restarting but shut down instead
    7. Boot again from the USB, go straight into Shift-F10, and use DISM /add-driver to add relevant drivers to the offline Windows drive as per Step 4
    8. wpeutil shutdown again, and let it restart this time, so that Windows boots and finishes configuring itself with the new drivers available to it.
    I found it easier than Mounting the image and also means I don't change the .WIM so I can use that on other hardware without fear of non-standard (and probably quite old) drivers getting in the way .

Although in some cases I could install and change it once Windows is up and running , one of 1709's default drivers causes a BSOD during installation itself, if I don't add the alternative manually using the above technique before it gets to that point.

But it's not a technique I've seen anywhere else so I'm probably bending the rules somewhere. *Wink

DavidY, Nov 19, 2018
  4. topgundcp Win User

Using DISM to restore offline image

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Using DISM to restore offline image [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Nov 19, 2018
Thema:

Using DISM to restore offline image

1. Using DISM to restore offline image - Similar Threads - Using DISM restore

2. Hi! guys i was trying to install the following feature using Dism on a offline image and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hi! guys i was trying to install the following feature using Dism on a offline image and...: C:\Windows\system32>Dism /Online /enable-feature /FeatureName:NetFX3 /All /LimitAccess Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.16299.15 Image Version: 10.0.16299.15 Enabling features [==========================100.0%==========================] Error:...
  3. Using DISM with a downloaded image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using DISM with a downloaded image: I'm trying to repair a windows 10 installation that is unstable even in safe mode.Within the recovery environment sfc reports errorsdism / online failsso I'm trying to use DISM with a downloaded image on a USB drive.wmic logicaldisk get name shows the USB drive as drive E:...
  4. Using DISM with a downloaded image

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Using DISM with a downloaded image: I'm trying to repair a windows 10 installation that is unstable even in safe mode.Within the recovery environment sfc reports errorsdism / online failsso I'm trying to use DISM with a downloaded image on a USB drive.wmic logicaldisk get name shows the USB drive as drive E:...
  5. Using DISM with a downloaded image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. [BUG] Using DISM /OFFLINE to integrate a hotfix in a Windows Image terminates Remote...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    [BUG] Using DISM /OFFLINE to integrate a hotfix in a Windows Image terminates Remote...: I think I found a BUG in DISM Windows 11 Enterprise version 10.0.22000 build 22000.When integrating a hotfix in an offline Windows image, it sets the Remote Desktop service to manual and stops it.Afterwards it sets the service back to Automatic but does not start it ...So...
  7. [BUG] Using DISM /OFFLINE to integrate a hotfix in a Windows Image terminates Remote...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    [BUG] Using DISM /OFFLINE to integrate a hotfix in a Windows Image terminates Remote...: I think I found a BUG in DISM Windows 11 Enterprise version 10.0.22000 build 22000.When integrating a hotfix in an offline Windows image, it sets the Remote Desktop service to manual and stops it.Afterwards it sets the service back to Automatic but does not start it ...So...
  8. Dism failing in restoring health of Windows Image

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Dism failing in restoring health of Windows Image: I am trying to restore health of my Win 10 Pro image. I downloaded the fresh Win 10 64 bit ISO from MS. Converted the install.esd to install.wim. But after running 82.9% Dism is failing with the error that source file could not be found.I first kept install.wim in root...
  9. DISM - Edit Registry on an Offline Image

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    DISM - Edit Registry on an Offline Image: How to: DISM - Edit Registry on an Offline Image [img] Information Servicing an offline image, mounting an image, committing changes, it all sounds a bit complicated to an average Windows user. However, it's just geek speak meaning modifying default Windows install image,...
  10. DISM - Add or Remove Drivers on an Offline Image

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    DISM - Add or Remove Drivers on an Offline Image: How to: DISM - Add or Remove Drivers on an Offline Image [img] Information Servicing an offline image, mounting an image, committing changes, it all sounds a bit complicated to an average Windows user. However, it's just geek speak meaning modifying default Windows...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dism restore image

2. dism offline

3. dism /offline

4. dism offline restore,
  5. dism offline repair windows 10,
  6. dism to restore an image,
  7. dism command to restore wim image to a machine,
  8. How to run DISM offline,
  9. dism to restore image,
  10. using dism to backup an image,
  11. dism restore health source offline image,