Windows 10: Using DLNA to watch videos on television

Discus and support Using DLNA to watch videos on television in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Since my desktop PC is connected via an ethernet cable to the router and a second cable connects to the smart TV I should be able to watch videos... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BarryEdwards47, May 7, 2020.

1. Using DLNA to watch videos on television

Since my desktop PC is connected via an ethernet cable to the router and a second cable connects to the smart TV I should be able to watch videos stored on the PC on the TV using DLNA.

I have found that I can display pictures from my Pictures folder and listen to music from my Music folder but the only videos I can play are a few that seem to have ended up in Pictures by mistake.

This seems to be because the Pictures and Music folders give Read permission to WMPNetworkSvc but Videos does not.

I suppose I could make Videos a sub-folder of one of the others but is there a way to set up WMPNetworksSvc with read permission on the Videos folder?

Barry Edwards

:)

BarryEdwards47, May 7, 2020

2. DLNA

Hi,

DLNA on Windows 10 can be done in 2 ways:

• There is a Cast To Device button that you can use to stream Windows 10 to a DLNA
      video player.
    • For receiving content, you will have to use the Windows Media Player
    Which of the above are you trying to do? Also, provide error code or message, if any, when the video files do not play.

Vinod Archak, May 7, 2020
  3. Lost DLNA connection to television from windows 10 desktop computer

Hello Patrick,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please provide some additional information, so that we can assist you better.

What was the version of Windows installed on your computer prior to replacing hard drive?

Follow the suggestion as mentioned below:

• There are two types of compatibility to which Windows 10 upgrade depends. Your computer meets the Software compatibility criteria for Windows 7, however, it is not meeting the Hardware compatibility to run Windows 10. There might
      be some drivers or hardware components not capable with Windows 10. Click here
      to know about compatibility details of your computer provided by Dell.

• Not all Sony TVs are supplied with DLNA capability. To see if your TV supports the DLNA feature, check the
      specifications, which are available through the Instructions Manual.
      If you cannot see any devices or files, you may need to scan for the DLNA devices which are connected to your BRAVIA TV. Refer the suggestion from the
      article.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking ‘Yes or No’.

Harish

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Harish_kum, May 7, 2020
  4. Yaqub K Win User

Using DLNA to watch videos on television

Can't watch videos on Win 10

Hi,

Please assist me with the following information related to this issue:

• Which web browser are you using to watch online videos?
    • Do you receive any error message?
    • What is the make and model of the computer?
    If you are using Internet Explorer to watch online videos, I suggest you to
    follow the steps mentioned in the following link and check:Why won't videos play in Internet Explorer?

Note: The above mentioned article contains steps to reset IE. Resetting Internet Explorer's settings is not reversible. After a reset, all previous settings in IE are lost and cannot
    be recovered.

Please reply us with the required information along with the status of the issue to assist you further.

Yaqub K, May 7, 2020
Thema:

Using DLNA to watch videos on television

1. Using DLNA to watch videos on television - Similar Threads - Using DLNA watch

2. DLNA UPnP errors while streaming video

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DLNA UPnP errors while streaming video: Windows 20H2 19042.867 But I have had the problem for years. Get the same problem of random freezes with Serviio and Emby. Can go weeks without a problem and then a day or 2 of random freezes. Excerpt from Emby log from a freeze: Code: 2021-03-30 18:06:33.204 Error...
  3. Television Monitor changes when watching videos.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Television Monitor changes when watching videos.: I recently started using a television as a monitor for my computer, and found out that I couldn't fullscreen videos I had downloaded, or else it would change resolution (?). However, with other applications, it wasn't a problem, so I ignored it. Until today when I updated my...
  4. Television to Laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Television to Laptop: How do I connect my laptop to my smart tv via an HDMI cable https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/television-to-laptop/25b128da-3db1-458b-bd0b-ec65574b5c27
  5. Watching Video

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Watching Video: I am having problems with loading Video Lectures from a on line college. It just started and I have had no problems in the past. A 30 min lecture use to play from start to finish without any stops to load. Now. its loads for 5 mins, plays for about 2 mins and then needs to...
  6. Watching Videos on hdmi

in Windows 10 Support
    Watching Videos on hdmi: I watch a lot of videos using the hdmi in Windows 10. Is there anyway to pause the video and then restart it with hdmi? Normally I use Media Player Classic watching the videos. 139093
  7. Lost DLNA connection to television from windows 10 desktop computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Lost DLNA connection to television from windows 10 desktop computer: I recently replaced the hard drive in my 8 year old Dell XPS 9100 desktop computer by my professional tech person, he reinstalled Windows 10 in the process. All is well except the desktop does not recognize 2 devices in the network anymore, (my Sony Blueray player or my Sony...
  8. roku television started hearing typing sound while watching hulu

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    roku television started hearing typing sound while watching hulu: While watching hulu on a roku television started to hear loud typing , can roku television be hacked. When heard it , shut down television and disconnected everything for 10 minutes. So far nothing yet but is there any protection to get for a television from Norton or...
  9. WATCH VIDEOS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WATCH VIDEOS: HAVE WINDOWS [ CRAP ] 10. WHY THE HELL IS IT AN ACT OF CONGRESS TO INSTALL OR UPGRADE ADOBE FLASH. DAMN POP UPS. SAYS IT WAS INSTALLED, GO CHECK A VIDEO, SAYS TO UPGRADE ADOBE OR INSTALL. I AM REALLY PISSED, NOTHING EVER, EVER WORKS RIGHT...
  10. Watching/streaming Video's

in Windows 10 Support
    Watching/streaming Video's: Hi, Since I installed Win 10 I notice at times when I watch a movie in full screen on any player or stream on you tube full screen the player will min itself or freeze so I have to refresh, watching a movie on a player will result in it just closing or crashing, with some...