Windows 10: using ethernet connect 1 computer to another computer's wifi, not working no more

Discus and support using ethernet connect 1 computer to another computer's wifi, not working no more in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; computer1 is win10 computer2 is win7 computer2 wifi has been set as to shared, wifi properties --> sharing --->allow other network users to connect... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by shuu1, Jan 23, 2021.

1. shuu1 Win User

using ethernet connect 1 computer to another computer's wifi, not working no more

computer1 is win10

computer2 is win7

computer2 wifi has been set as to shared, wifi properties --> sharing --->allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet

then I use a cable to connect the 2 computers, it worked before, and today I got a windows update, and then it's not working no more, saying "unidentified network", and when I diagnose the ethernet, it says ethernet doesn't have a valid ip configuration.

every time windows update giving me troubles, last time my keyboards can't even type a few of letters.

I tried the following methods but no use:

from the Ethernet Properties window, select Internet Protocol Version 4 TCP/IPv4 and click on Properties.

Obtain an IP Address Automatically
    Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically

Command Prompt opens, enter the following commands:
    netsh winsock reset
    netsh int IP reset

Disable IPv6

:)

shuu1, Jan 23, 2021
  2. revdrw Win User

WIFI Works, Ethernet won't

OK but why?

NOT YELLING, JUST EMPHASIZING

Please note, I installed the new Lynksis, it worked just fine for 3-4 days on both my MACBOOK PRO when in ethernet connect and the Dell, then the ethernet just quit working for both my MacBook Pro and Dell desktop. It did work, then just quit for no apparent reason. WIFi for iPhone, iPad, Andriod Phone, and when I set to wifi for my MacBook pro all work fine.

Detailed history: I first noticed that on my Desktop dell that is CAT5 ethernet connected to the WIFI ROuter, that it stopped, no internet access. I began to trouble shoot, and turned off my WIFI on my MAcbook and it wouldnt work either, plugged into same router but different cat5 cable. At that time, all WIFI devices still worked. I figured that it must be the ethernet side of the WIFI router, so I replaced the router with brand new one. the Lynksys N900 listed in original thread. Ethernet and everything worked just fine for 3-4 days. But then ethernet quit, but wifi still works.

Whatever the problem, it affects both my MacBook Pro and Dell with WIN 7. I'm guessing it is NOT a computer problem, if it is it is affecting both my Mac and Dell, separate cat 5 cables to same wifi router

To remixedcat, I don't know for sure how to check IP settings, see above post, no damage apparent to anything.

revdrw, Jan 23, 2021
  3. 3870x2 Win User
    Wifi stops working when using ethernet

If the computer is unplugged from the ethernet, does the wifi work?

3870x2, Jan 23, 2021
  4. GeorgeD55 Win User

using ethernet connect 1 computer to another computer's wifi, not working no more

ethernet computer does not show wifi computer in file explorer network list

My desktop computer is connected to my router with ethernet & does not show my WiFi connected laptop computer in the file explorer network list in the left pane. The desktop computer does list itself in the network list. The laptop shows both computers
    in its network list. This worked a couple weeks ago before a windows 10 update was done on both computers. I've tried just about everything with no luck. What could be the problem?

GeorgeD55, Jan 23, 2021
Thema:

1. using ethernet connect 1 computer to another computer's wifi, not working no more - Similar Threads - using ethernet connect

2. buying windows for more then 1 computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    buying windows for more then 1 computer: hello :-is it possible to buy windows 11 copy that is installable on 3 computers? my desktop, laptop, and my son desktopi dont find any explainations on that.plus, i can see lots of pc websites and stores that sell windows 11 lisence for 60-70% cheaper. is that legal? what's...
  3. buying windows for more then 1 computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    buying windows for more then 1 computer: hello :-is it possible to buy windows 11 copy that is installable on 3 computers? my desktop, laptop, and my son desktopi dont find any explainations on that.plus, i can see lots of pc websites and stores that sell windows 11 lisence for 60-70% cheaper. is that legal? what's...
  4. HELP! Computer no wifi/ethernet

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HELP! Computer no wifi/ethernet: I need help desperately!My computer did a windows 10 update a couple of days ago and i managed to reinstall it with a USB windows boot from HP. That all went well and set my device up nicely!I come to connecting to wifi and click the icon, no wifi even on there. i also...
  5. home networking wifi and ethernet computers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    home networking wifi and ethernet computers: How do I home network and share a computer on wifi with one on ethernet, when they are on the same router? Looks like the easiest way is to make them both ethernet or wifi...
  6. How can I share a WiFi connection to another computer via direct ethernet cable?

How can I share a WiFi connection to another computer via direct ethernet cable?: Hello I have a very specific problem with a temporary setup that cannot be changed right now, and I was hoping a kind soul would be able to help me. I have a laptop and a desktop, both running latest Windows 10. The laptop can connect to a WiFi network, but the desktop...
  7. add another person on 1 computer

add another person on 1 computer: two users on one computer windows 10/ have separate my documents & files. I have a microsoft office 365 account. Do a new user need to create their user name, password...
  8. Lost connection to 1 computer

Lost connection to 1 computer: Hi all I have 2 Computer, both running windows 10. first one just got updated to ver.1809, the second one is still 1803. the one with 1803 can not see the one with 1809. I know there is a setting that need to be changed, but I can not for the life of me remember where it is....
  9. Lost connection to 1 computer

in Windows 10 News
    Lost connection to 1 computer: Hi all I have 2 Computer, both running windows 10. first one just got updated to ver.1809, the second one is still 1803. the one with 1803 can not see the one with 1809. I know there is a setting that need to be changed, but I can not for the life of me remember where it is....
  10. Cannot connect ethernet to home computer will only connect by wifi. Need help with Ethernet...

Cannot connect ethernet to home computer will only connect by wifi. Need help with Ethernet...: Please help! new computer will only connect by Wi-Fi. Need to connect by hardline Ethernet cable for gaming. 1) cable is good works with Xbox 2) ran trouble shooter - windows could not automatically detect this networks proxy setting. 3) ran network adapter trouble...