Windows 10: Using existing hard drive in new machine

Discus and support Using existing hard drive in new machine in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Can I install my existing hard drive with win 10 pro in new machine so that I don't have to reinstall everything? Current machine is 8 years old but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JCPHX, Dec 17, 2018.

1. JCPHX Win User

Using existing hard drive in new machine

Can I install my existing hard drive with win 10 pro in new machine so that I don't have to reinstall everything? Current machine is 8 years old but has i7 in it.

:)

JCPHX, Dec 17, 2018

2. Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Dec 17, 2018
  3. little cat, Dec 17, 2018
  4. Mathragh Win User

Overclock your hard drive!!!

Wut =D

what is that supposed to accomplish?

Mathragh, Dec 17, 2018
Thema:

1. Using existing hard drive in new machine - Similar Threads - Using existing hard

2. Existing W10 & software onto a new machine.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Existing W10 & software onto a new machine.: Hello,I have always assumed that if I took a drive with the operating system and installed software from one machine and placed it in another, this would not work.Clearly the hardware would be different to start with.Setting up a PC can of course take many days to configure...
  3. Existing W10 & software onto a new machine.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Existing W10 & software onto a new machine.: Hello,I have always assumed that if I took a drive with the operating system and installed software from one machine and placed it in another, this would not work.Clearly the hardware would be different to start with.Setting up a PC can of course take many days to configure...
  4. Existing W10 & software onto a new machine.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Folders that exist on hard drive of old computer but are missing on new computer using an...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folders that exist on hard drive of old computer but are missing on new computer using an...: My desk top computer, which is running Windows 8.1, began to act up - it would freeze, shut off by itself etc so I bought a new desk top computer now running Windows 10 - I removed my hard drive and installed it in an enclosure to plug in the new computer - the new enclosure...
  6. Folders that exist on hard drive of old computer but are missing on new computer using an...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folders that exist on hard drive of old computer but are missing on new computer using an...: My desk top computer, which is running Windows 8.1, began to act up - it would freeze, shut off by itself etc so I bought a new desk top computer now running Windows 10 - I removed my hard drive and installed it in an enclosure to plug in the new computer - the new enclosure...
  7. Folders that exist on hard drive of old computer but are missing on new computer using an...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Can't install to new hard drive on former Ubuntu machine

Can't install to new hard drive on former Ubuntu machine: Hi, I swapped out the old hard drive with a brand new one, and am trying to install Windows 10 from a USB boot stick. But I keep getting these errors. Thanks for any assistance....
  9. Adding already existing Windows 10 to new Hard drive

Adding already existing Windows 10 to new Hard drive: I just had to get a new hard drive as my old one died. I already have Windows 10 and need to add it to new hard drive. How do I go about this?...
  10. Transfer settings and files from hard drive to new machine

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transfer settings and files from hard drive to new machine: my mom has an old laptop windows 8, i think(but maybe 7). the battery is no good and the plug for the power cord is broken, so it does not boot. she bought a new one and would like to transfer her settings and files to the new one. my idea is to take the hard drive out of the...