Windows 10: Using File History to Back Up a One Drive Folder

Discus and support Using File History to Back Up a One Drive Folder in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Is it possible to use File History to back up a OneDrive folder to a local network drive? Please note that I am >>not<< asking about using a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Mark Olbert, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Using File History to Back Up a One Drive Folder

Is it possible to use File History to back up a OneDrive folder to a local network drive?

Please note that I am >>not<< asking about using a OneDrive folder as the >>target<< of the backup. I want to make a local backup of a OneDrive folder on a local server.

When I try to add a OneDrive folder to the "Back up these folders" list via Backup Options, I can navigate to, and select, the OneDrive folder. But it doesn't appear after I click Choose This Folder.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, all the latest patches and updates installed.

:)

Mark Olbert, Feb 12, 2019

2. How to remove folders from File History

• I had the same problem, and I solved in this way:
      Control Panel -> System and Security-> File History -> Turn off
      Settings -> Update & Security -> Backup -> More options -> Stop using this drive
      Delete the File History folder in your external drive.
      Start using File History again.
      After performing these steps, I can easily add folders to "Excluded Folders" and they remain excluded. I checked in the actual files and folders saved on the external disk, and it works.
      I did not modify the default settings about how often and how long backup is saved, File History is working ok now. So I guess it is important to click "Stop using this drive" in order to reset File History.
      Hope this will be helpful

mila parker, Feb 12, 2019
  3. ALN
    ALN Win User
    How to remove folders from File History

That did it - Thank you Mila!

4. Using File History to Back Up a One Drive Folder

File History never copies anything

Hi,

Temporary system failure is one of the possible reasons why this issue is happening. To help resolve the issue, we suggest deleting the files in the USB drive. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings > Update & Security > Backup > More Options.
    • Click Stop using this drive.
    • Delete the File History folder on your external drive.
    • Try again to add the USB drive to backup File History.
    Keep us in the loop with the result.

Martin Bar, Feb 12, 2019
Thema:

Using File History to Back Up a One Drive Folder

1. Using File History to Back Up a One Drive Folder - Similar Threads - Using File History

2. File History Not Reliably Backing Up All Changes In OneDrive Folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History Not Reliably Backing Up All Changes In OneDrive Folder: I have been having a problem with File History not reliably backing up all changes in my OneDrive folder for several months and have yet to find a solution for it. I have my OneDrive folder selected as one to be backed up, but every time I run a backup, only some changes get...
  3. File history not backing up all files.

File history not backing up all files.: I just purchased a new SSD and reinstalled windows using the MS media creation tool. It installed the latest Windows 10 Pro 1809 I installed many apps and games. I decided to run File History as previous backups have failed miserably. I check my game folder in appdata...
  4. Backing up one drive files to external hard drive

Backing up one drive files to external hard drive: For added security I like to back up my one drive files to an external hard drive. This may seem unnecessary but I like to have my files on my pc hard drive, the one drive cloud and another external hard drive. This is been working until recently when the backup app does not...
  5. W10 File History not backing up selected folders

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    W10 File History not backing up selected folders: Been having trouble with my WD external drive backup s/w, it keeps losing track of its external drive, so I decided to simply try using W10 File History to manage things. First, I have installed a SSD and migrated my OS there (as C:/), then formatted and set up all libraries...
  6. Selecting Folders and Files to Back Up to One Drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Selecting Folders and Files to Back Up to One Drive: I don't mind the service. But, I don't want ALL my files on my laptop to be in the Cloud. How do I de-select certain folders and files so they are NOT saved in the Cloud?...
  7. Windows10 File History Stopped Backing Up

Windows10 File History Stopped Backing Up: I have been using File History Backup ever since Windows10 was introduced. I just checked the last backup, and see it was Jan 1, 2018 - seams to have stopped working as of then, and don't know how to get it going again. I have it set to back up Daily and to keep History for 1...
  8. File History not backing up Pictures

File History not backing up Pictures: Hi all - hoping you can help. I'm using File History on Windows 10 to back up my files on an external HDD. But it doesn't seem to be backing up my pictures even when I specifically add the pictures folder as something to be backed up. I did the first back up on this new PC...
  9. Remove files and folders in File History backed to my external drive

Remove files and folders in File History backed to my external drive: I am trying this as a normal delete and the system has said it will take more than one day. The files are from the time before a clean install and a defunct Windows account of a different name from the previous installation. Is there a speedier process without need for...
  10. "Back up using File History" on OneDrive possible?

in Windows 10 Support
    "Back up using File History" on OneDrive possible?: When selecting a "drive" for file history which I'd like to enable for the cloud, specifically onedrive. Is there an ability to use this/support this? Or is that not a thing at the moment? I think this would be an amazing feature, since I don't have my external hard drive...