Windows 10: Using File History to recover files from a different machine

Discus and support Using File History to recover files from a different machine in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi all, I would assume this should be simple, but I can't figure it out. I had File History turned on an old machine that I'd upgraded to Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by jamesxtreme, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Using File History to recover files from a different machine

Hi all,

I would assume this should be simple, but I can't figure it out. I had File History turned on an old machine that I'd upgraded to Windows 10. The machine was working fine with File History backing up files to an external storage drive. The machine died recently (motherboard completely not working) and now I have a new machine with Windows 10.

However I want to restore my files from the File History backups I had for my old machine, but I can't figure out how to make it work. Whenever I try to use the same external location as my File History drive it just makes a new backup with a different folder for my new machine.

How is this supposed to work? All the info I has found on the Microsoft support sites simply details restoring files for the same machine.

Thanks in advance.
    James

:)

jamesxtreme, Jan 14, 2016

2. File History - How do you recover ALL files from a network drive for a computer "Reset" (format C)?

AFAIK you cant. File history is meant to recover to the original OS. After a format the machine name is different and the globally unique ID is different. File history is not a true backup

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Jan 14, 2016
  3. Could not reassociate with File History data - The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

Hello,

I am having problems changing File History drives so that I can recover data from a PC that has failed. In order to access the File History of the failed PC I follow these steps:

1) File History settings -> Set up File History -> Turn off

2) File History settings -> Set up File History -> Select Drive

3) File History settings -> Select a File History drive -> Choose drive and then the existing backup, click OK

4) Do you want to use this drive for File History again? -> Click Yes

Error dialog "Could not reassociate with File History data - The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."

I have verified that no other processes are accessing the drive in question using Process Explorer from www.sysinternals.com. Rebooting the machine makes no difference.

Any ideas?

InnovativeOne, Jan 14, 2016
  4. Using File History to recover files from a different machine

FrozenCursor, Jan 14, 2016
Thema:

Using File History to recover files from a different machine

1. Using File History to recover files from a different machine - Similar Threads - Using File History

2. File History crashing when attempting to recover files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History crashing when attempting to recover files: Hi,I was messing around with batch and deleted a good chunk of files from my user folder, however I have a file history backup but clicking refresh simply causes it to crash, currently I'm simply copying the saved files from file history, but they have an annoying timestamp...
  3. File History crashing when attempting to recover files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History crashing when attempting to recover files: Hi,I was messing around with batch and deleted a good chunk of files from my user folder, however I have a file history backup but clicking refresh simply causes it to crash, currently I'm simply copying the saved files from file history, but they have an annoying timestamp...
  4. How are different versions of files stored in File History?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How are different versions of files stored in File History?: File History is not working to recover files. Since I have several versions of the files backed up, I want to restrict this to only the latest versions so I can free up disk space. Is there a way to remove older backups without File History? File History does nothing. It...
  5. Cannot recover files from File History

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot recover files from File History: My last backup using Windows Backup may have run out of disk space. There was no error message, however. Files were set to be kept "forever". That is not needed and I will change that setting in the future. I have done several backups using File History already to this...
  6. Windows File History questions (coming from Time Machine)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows File History questions (coming from Time Machine): I'm looking for a backup solution that would simply copy files and folders to an external drive, but it also clever enough to notice moved or removed files. For example: Documents\ - Notice.txt - Trash.txt Backup Documents to external drive Delete "Trash.txt" After new...
  7. File history to recover data

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File history to recover data: Just had to reinstall windows which isn't ideal. I had accounted for everything after motherboard change except the need to change my main partition from mbr to gpt.....now I have file history occupying another drive, can I use this to integrate my data back into windows?...
  8. Using File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Using File History: I installed a Solid State Drive and transferred the operating system to it. However I had to purchase a new license for Windows 10 Home as I couldn't use my old product key as it was for Windows 8 and I didn't have the order number which Microsoft required. Before that I...
  9. Can you recover backups from File History if you changed to a different user?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can you recover backups from File History if you changed to a different user?: I recently created a new user and transferred all my files from the old user. I deleted the old user files. I can no longer access the File History from the old user. The old user name is still there. Is it possible to recover the File History from the old user? I have backed...
  10. Using File History

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Using File History: I thought I had set File History to continuously backup my files and delete the oldest ones as space became limited on the backup device... But recently when trying to restore the previous version of a file, it wouldn't do so... and on further examination of the settings I...