Windows 10: Using File History to restore files from one user to another

Discus and support Using File History to restore files from one user to another in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I want to restore one user's files to another user. I added the new user and went to File History. I had the choice, with a check box, to restore... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TerryRooney1, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Using File History to restore files from one user to another

I want to restore one user's files to another user. I added the new user and went to File History. I had the choice, with a check box, to restore files from all the users on the backup drive. That's exactly what I wanted. I selected the user whose files I wanted. But nothing happened. Perhaps I didn't wait long enough.

When I tried the procedure again, with a new user, I did not get the choice to restore from another user. How do I get that prompt again.

Terry

:)

TerryRooney1, Jan 1, 2021

2. File history on USB security user access

Hi,

To isolate this concern, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Open File History folder.
    • Select all the files that you don't want to be accessed.
    • Right-click on the highlighted files and choose Properties.
    • Go to Security tab.
    • Click on Advanced.
    • Select all the user account that you don't want to have access on your File History folder.
    • Click on Disable inheritance.
    • Lastly, click on OK.

Let us know how it goes.

Desiree Yau, Jan 1, 2021
  3. Shawn Brink, Jan 1, 2021
  4. Using File History to restore files from one user to another

File History won't work, says insufficient space

Hi,

It is possible that the user profiles are also being restored when restoring your files in
    File History. We suggest that you manually choose the files you want to restore. Here are the steps:

• Go to Control Panel.
    • Search for File History.
    • Click the Restore personal files option on the left pane of your screen.
    • Select the folders you want to restore and then click the restore icon.
    Note: Make sure that you don't copy the duplicated folders listed.

Feel free to get back to us if you need further assistance.

Jamille Nar, Jan 1, 2021
Thema:

Using File History to restore files from one user to another

1. Using File History to restore files from one user to another - Similar Threads - Using File History

2. Copying files from one user account to another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copying files from one user account to another: I am trying to copy the user account files from one user account to another user account both admin accounts. I am using the hidden Administrator account to do this, but when I copy the files from one account and attempt to paste them into the public account while logged into...
  3. Copying files from one user account to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copying files from one user account to another: I am trying to copy the user account files from one user account to another user account both admin accounts. I am using the hidden Administrator account to do this, but when I copy the files from one account and attempt to paste them into the public account while logged into...
  4. Transferring files from one user to another

in Windows 10 Customization
    Transferring files from one user to another: I original set up windows under an account/email that has since be closed. I want to transfer all my files currently on the old user account to my new user account but can't seem to figure this out. Is there a way I can move my files, apps, and setting that are on the old...
  5. File history restoring to one drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File history restoring to one drive: After sudden catastrophic failure of my SSD I am trying to restore files to a new SSD with a fresh windows install using file history. It will restore files then immediately one drive seems to take control of the folder. Manually moving folders from one drive to local storage...
  6. Using File History to restore Libraries

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Using File History to restore Libraries: I bought a SSD, disconnected my HDD and installed a new Windows 10 license on the SSD. We deleted in old OS from the C drive, but I later remembered I had saved some of my files to it. Subsequently I had activated File History, and want to restore files. I looked at this...
  7. File History - restore

File History - restore: I backup my files using FileHistory. How do I restore a file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-restore/34fcbace-3bd4-43ae-8c0d-c8ec6cbbb17f
  8. Restoring from File History

Restoring from File History: I backed up my files using File History. The computer I was using was lost in a fire. I need to restore my files to anew computer but File History on my new computer will not recognize the external source. I could just copy the files but then they would keep the backup...
  9. File History restore

File History restore: I have a laptop with a cracked screen that I need to have repaired and wont have it for a few days. I've got my File History and an extra laptop that I can use in the interim. How do I: 1. restore / use my files from File History on the extra laptop without crossing over...
  10. File history restore

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File history restore: My Toshiba tablet keeps. Demanding file history be turned on. The setfings say it is on. How do i turn it on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-restore/73a47ff4-d9cd-474d-aff3-4514dabe3428"