Windows 10: Using File History

Discus and support Using File History in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I thought I had set File History to continuously backup my files and delete the oldest ones as space became limited on the backup device... But... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by StephenfromChch, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Using File History

I thought I had set File History to continuously backup my files and delete the oldest ones as space became limited on the backup device...
    But recently when trying to restore the previous version of a file, it wouldn't do so... and on further examination of the settings I saw it wasn't backing up at all. Attaching a screen shot:

Using File History 579d278b-d62e-4ec0-8322-372e2c949f4d?upload=true.png

Could someone tell me what to do to get it to function correctly?

Thanks..

:)

StephenfromChch, Sep 11, 2018
  2. #Jon# Win User

File History not backing up any files

Hello Victor

Thank you for the response. I had already checked that thread, but it hasn't helped me:

• The thread deals with Windows 8's implementation of File History, which is somewhat different to that of Windows 10.
    • Most of the thread deals with setting up File History (which I have already done, precisely following the recommended steps). The third link in the thread might have been useful since it appears to link to a page that deals with troubleshooting File History
      (as opposed to setting it up), but unfortunately the link is dead.
    Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#Jon#, Sep 11, 2018
  3. File History - Does not turn off

To assist you further, we suggest that you try to check on the link below:

Step by Step: File History

Update us on the result.

Marivel Man, Sep 11, 2018
  4. Using File History

File History never copies anything

Hi,

Temporary system failure is one of the possible reasons why this issue is happening. To help resolve the issue, we suggest deleting the files in the USB drive. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings > Update & Security > Backup > More Options.
    • Click Stop using this drive.
    • Delete the File History folder on your external drive.
    • Try again to add the USB drive to backup File History.
    Keep us in the loop with the result.

Martin Bar, Sep 11, 2018
Thema:

Using File History

1. Using File History - Similar Threads - Using File History

2. How to use file history?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to use file history?: My disk space has been full recently and I have decided to move my files to an external hard drive. Now my old way was to manually drag the documents to it and delete the old ones. But now I have heard about file history and I would like to know more about it, I already...
  3. Use File History for backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Use File History for backup: Hello everyone, I had some problems with my windows 10 computer. The manufacturer support asked me to reset my computer and to reinstall windows on it. That is what I did but before deleting every bit of data I had on my computer, I did a backup to restore my files after...
  4. Backup Using File History

Backup Using File History: For the first time in a long time, I cannot backup my files. I have Windows 10. I am using Backup using File History. In the Overview, it states 0 bytes on my external hard drive even though this is not true. Total space is 1.81 TB. I have tried "stop using the drive" and...
  5. Using File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Using File History: I installed a Solid State Drive and transferred the operating system to it. However I had to purchase a new license for Windows 10 Home as I couldn't use my old product key as it was for Windows 8 and I didn't have the order number which Microsoft required. Before that I...
  6. Backup Using File History

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Backup Using File History: I wanted to clean up my backup hdd and I deleted the folder File History. Now, if I say Backup Now in Backup Using File History, it says last backup …, it goes for 1 second and returns to cancel. How can I get Backup Using File History to work again without reinstalling...
  7. Backup Using File History

Backup Using File History: I use File History in Win 10 to back up my files to a 500GB WD My Passport portable hard drive. I also use WD SmartWare installed from the WD drive to back up my files. This seems redundant and maybe overkill. Is it safe to rely solely on File History which would allow...
  8. Files skipped in Backup using File History

Files skipped in Backup using File History: When I back up My Folders and Files using File History Option I find that of the Folders added for backup purpose many sub folders and files are skipped. After the backup is over, I checked up my external back up drive. I find that in many cases blank folders are added and...
  9. Backup using file history

Backup using file history: I am attempting to backup to my external drive using file history, I have done this many times before with no problem, but now it would appear file history does not see my external drive leaving a Red X after the drive name. Not had any problem before & I am using the same...
  10. Backup using File History

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup using File History: Does File History (Libraries) Backups utilize the time schedule I created for Automatic Backups? 62035