Windows 10: Using hands-frees as a microphone for a Windows machine

Discus and support Using hands-frees as a microphone for a Windows machine in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello all, I want to record my voice on my Windows 10 x64 machine but don't have a separate microphone and can't purchase it due to quarantine held in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by tomyfr, Mar 29, 2020.

1. tomyfr Win User

Using hands-frees as a microphone for a Windows machine

Hello all,

I want to record my voice on my Windows 10 x64 machine but don't have a separate microphone and can't purchase it due to quarantine held in my whereabouts because of the virus.
    But I have two hands-frees for an iPhone and a Nokia mobile phones. The problem is that they both have only one socket, presumably named Aux or like that but the desktop PC has two separate ports for microphone and headphone. When I put the socket of any of the hands-frees to the microphone port of the PC, very very rarely a tiny sound like a noise will be received by the machine.

I'm stuck into that problem and can't work it out! *Sad

How could I fix the issue and finally record my voice on the machine, please? Do you have any idea?
    Thanks in advance.

:)

tomyfr, Mar 29, 2020
  2. Riel Alc Win User

Hands free for Cortana

Hi Michael,

For better assistance, is your HP desktop has a built in microphone? Basically, you should use a microphone to activate "Hey Cortana", either built in or external microphone.

To activate "Hey Cortana", please follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key. Type Cortana, then select
      Cortana & Search settings.
    • Turn on Let Cortana respond to "Hey Cortana".

Using hands-frees as a microphone for a Windows machine bc796cdb-4801-4374-9671-85ec97730323.jpg

3. In the next window, click Sure to let Cortana use your microphone.

Using hands-frees as a microphone for a Windows machine 49d29aea-5d62-4d4f-aea2-1e3bc70cac02.jpg

Feel free to post back should you need further help.

Riel Alc, Mar 29, 2020
  3. OmaR1153 Win User
    What's the difference between stereo and hands free?

I've experimented with my own bluetooth headset and here's my results:

• the "Stereo" device is the main high-quality playback device of the headset, while the "hands-free" device is a lower quality monophonic playback device
    • Attempting to capture audio from the bluetooth microphone (which is also labeled "hands-free") disables the main playback device, but not the hands-free playback device.
    • By having one application play audio from one playback device and another application playing from the other, the hands-free device also disables the main device.

My conclusion is that the hands-free devices is inteded to be used when there's a two-way audio communication happening, but otherwise, use the main playback device. What I still don't understand is why the main audio playback device is being disabled when the hands-free devices are being used. Couldn't they both be on at the same time? That's when I hit a wall.

If you're woundering about things like teamspeak, discord, skype, etc. and why you are unable to hear other applications when you join a call or a voice chat, it's because these communication applications enable the hands-free devices, which in turn disables the main devices playing back other applications' audio. To solve this, you can use an external microphone, like the built-in one, or you can switch to the lower quality hands-free playback device. You can change all this from the "Sound" settings on Windows.

OmaR1153, Mar 29, 2020
  4. Junaid_A Win User

External microphone does not work

Hi Zarbab,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

The issue could be because of the microphone being in a disabled state. I suggest you to try the steps listed below and check if it works:

• Open Control Panel and categorize to view by
      Small Icons.
    • Click on Speech Recognition and navigate to
      Advanced Speech Options > Microphone > Advanced
    • Check Real Conexant HD Audio, save the changes and exit
      Control Panel.
    • Restart the machine to see if the microphone works.

Meanwhile, you may also want to go through the troubleshooting suggestions given in the following articles and see if they help:

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Mar 29, 2020
Thema:

1. Using hands-frees as a microphone for a Windows machine - Similar Threads - Using hands frees

2. Bluetooth with not connect to hands-free

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluetooth with not connect to hands-free: I have afterShokz, and on one PC they will not connect with voice. I tried on another PC and it works. I see the hands-free in the Sound control panel but it is disconnected. When I select Connect, nothing happens. I have uninstalled the device/drivers and restarted. And I...
  3. Bluetooth with not connect to hands-free

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bluetooth with not connect to hands-free: I have afterShokz, and on one PC they will not connect with voice. I tried on another PC and it works. I see the hands-free in the Sound control panel but it is disconnected. When I select Connect, nothing happens. I have uninstalled the device/drivers and restarted. And I...
  4. Hand's free only Headphones

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hand's free only Headphones: I have seen this question asked around, yet I haven't found a solution to my case in particular. As far as I am aware, the default stereo stopped being "connected" as of today, as because yesterday it was perfectly fine. I shut down my computer and come back today to a...
  5. Built in microphone will not function unless headphones are using "hands-free"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Built in microphone will not function unless headphones are using "hands-free": I just bought a Bose headset and it has a build in mic which works fine on my phone however, and I've had this problem before, the microphone is tagged with the "hands-free AG audio". The playback has both the hands free and stereo options, and unless the actual playback...
  6. Headset Microphone only working with hands-free mode

Headset Microphone only working with hands-free mode: Hey, I have a new headset, the Sony WH-XB900N. Audio Input and Output work flawlessly on my Samsung Phone and my MacBook Pro. Connecting them to Windows 10 is a big struggle. I connected the device to my Windows 10 with the name "LE_WH_XB900N". Nothing happened. Then I...
  7. No Bluethooth Hands Free Service

No Bluethooth Hands Free Service: Hi, "Your Phone" will not do hands free. Before giving dozens of things to try PLEASE answer this one question first: Should the dll BthHSSrvc.dll be in my System32? In all my reading and tries this seemed the most interesting. If this can be ruled out I am open to...
  8. Hands-Free Telephony messing up headphone microphone

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hands-Free Telephony messing up headphone microphone: I've been using some SteelSeries Bluetooth headphones with my computer, and after a few weeks of staticy, shallow sound, I did some research and found that many people could turn off the "Hands-Free Telephony" option for the headphones to enrich the sound quality. Doing...
  9. Bluetooth Hands-Free Microphone and Sound Quality

Bluetooth Hands-Free Microphone and Sound Quality: Greetings, Due to Covid-19 I had to stay at home and attend a lot of video call meetings. Sadly I found out using bluetooth headphones is not really optimal for these cases. Then I did some research: It looks like I can either use my bluetooth headset as headphones...
  10. Having Issues Using Bluetooth Earbuds as Hands-free

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Having Issues Using Bluetooth Earbuds as Hands-free: (TL;DR at the bottom) I have a pair of Jaybird Tarah Bluetooth earbuds paired to my Windows PC. These buds also have media buttons and a microphone. They are called "Overture" For clarity, My particular machine is running Win10 Pro (1909) through Boot Camp. Bluetooth...