Windows 10: Using HD from old PC as data drive in new PC

Discus and support Using HD from old PC as data drive in new PC in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm buying a Dell Inspiron 3671 with Windows 10 Home to replace an old Dell Inspiron 580s that's running Windows 7 Professional. I'd like to install... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Ed_Mill, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Ed_Mill Win User

Using HD from old PC as data drive in new PC

I'm buying a Dell Inspiron 3671 with Windows 10 Home to replace an old Dell Inspiron 580s that's running Windows 7 Professional. I'd like to install the 1 TB hard drive from the old Inspiron 580s in the new Inspiron 3671 as a second drive to use as a data drive only. What steps do I need to follow to accomplish this? (If there's a step-by-step guide out there somewhere, I could really use it.)

:)

Ed_Mill, Nov 19, 2019

2. old PC files xfr to new PC

I have a new Dell PC. My old HP crashed. I'm trying to recover the data on the old PC. Any suggestions

GordonMontney, Nov 19, 2019
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    old pc to new

Hi jstring

If the old PC is running the exact same operating system (for example Windows 10 Home) then you can initially activate Windows 10 on the new system and then clone the old drive onto the new drive and when you boot your PC, everything will be as it was on the
    old PC. Windows 10 is remarkably adaptable to new hardware.

You can use software like the Free version of Macrium Reflect to clone the drive, as long as the new hard drive is of equal or greater size and you can connect both drives to your PC

Otherwise, there is no successful way to transfer applications and settings to a new PC, you can transfer your data no problem with a flash drive or external hard drive, but not installed applications . . .

DaveM121, Nov 19, 2019
  4. Using HD from old PC as data drive in new PC

Ext HD Not supported on New HP PC

My Book WD is not supported on new HP PC. How do I get it supported. Also get message The directory name is invalid. I think I messed that up initially when HD did not show content. Have other WD My Book HD that is supported, but first time using this
    one that previously worked on old PC. First HD shows up under F drive, so when 2nd HD showed up as F drive & said The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable it was on F drive, so I tried to change the drive. Bad huh! Changed USB ports & now says
    The directory name is invalid. Should I change it back to F drive? Any ideas, suggestions appreciated, Trish

TrisheBear, Nov 19, 2019
Thema:

Using HD from old PC as data drive in new PC

1. Using HD from old PC as data drive in new PC - Similar Threads - Using old data

2. Can I restore data/files from old pc to new pc later?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I restore data/files from old pc to new pc later?: HelloSo I recently got a new laptop and I want to know if I set up the new laptop as a new device can I still restore files from old pc later? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-restore-datafiles-from-old-pc-to-new-pc/91791a32-614b-472b-a6de-e0a7d8bde0c8
  3. Can I restore data/files from old pc to new pc later?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I restore data/files from old pc to new pc later?: HelloSo I recently got a new laptop and I want to know if I set up the new laptop as a new device can I still restore files from old pc later? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-restore-datafiles-from-old-pc-to-new-pc/91791a32-614b-472b-a6de-e0a7d8bde0c8
  4. Can I restore data/files from old pc to new pc later?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Access external hard drive from old PC using my new PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Access external hard drive from old PC using my new PC: I have a new PC and have my old hard drive in a caddie. I can access all files except for those on my personal folder in Users. It must be protected somehow, but when I right-click and get into security settings and allow access, it still doesn't let me in. I downloaded a...
  6. New pc with old drive

New pc with old drive: I Just installed windows onto my pc and I have an old drive with all my stuff. How can I open all my programs from my old drive because they are not appearing on windows?...
  7. I got a new PC and installed the hard drive from my old PC into the new PC .

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I got a new PC and installed the hard drive from my old PC into the new PC .: How do I get windows to recognize the old user configuration. And ideally all the programs already on the old hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-got-a-new-pc-and-installed-the-hard-drive-from/dd673f0d-3dae-4d8e-baa6-9db761b9f99b
  8. Use old win 10 drive to boot new pc

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Use old win 10 drive to boot new pc: Hello, so my old PC died and I'm getting my new one tomorrow. I had no chance to save data from my old PC and I don't have another drive right now. So I would like to know if it's possible to boot the new pc from my old win. 10 drive just so save some data and then I would...
  9. How do i transfer data from old pc to new pc

How do i transfer data from old pc to new pc: how do transfer data from old pc to new pc ...both using windows * Moved from Education https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-transfer-data-from-old-pc-to-new-pc/e08239d7-1014-4f63-8e61-8b0d9af90618"
  10. Old PC to New PC data transfer

Old PC to New PC data transfer: Purchased new desktop and need help with identifying best way to transfer my data from the old PC to the new PC, I have about 600 GB to move. Many thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/old-pc-to-new-pc-data-transfer/775ca607-298c-4f3b-adb1-cad8d7e4c5a6"