Windows 10: Using laptop as second monitor via wireless display

Discus and support Using laptop as second monitor via wireless display in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; What I want: Use my laptop as a second monitor at home. The laptop does not have HDMI in so I have to go wireless. So I have both computers setup to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/tS_kStin, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Using laptop as second monitor via wireless display

What I want: Use my laptop as a second monitor at home. The laptop does not have HDMI in so I have to go wireless.

So I have both computers setup to use the connect app, have the settings configured under "projecting to this PC", both on the same network (desktop wired and wifi and laptop just on wifi). Both have the additional feature downloaded through the settings called "wireless display" or whatever it is called. Both on win 10 version 2004, latest updates all around. Both

The issue: With the connect app running on the laptop, it says "Ready for you to connect wirelessly" and "Protected content can't be viewed on this device" under that. On the desktop I can open the connect panel from the notification panel and all it shows is my connected monitor, no laptop. If I do the process in reverse as if I am using my desktop as the second monitor for my laptop it shows up in the connect panel on my laptop.

Anyone have any idea why I can see my desktop from my laptop connect panel but not the other (intended) way? I had this working about 6 months ago but never needed to use it until now.

Yes I have been searching for a while now but so much stuff is related to connecting to TVs, not between two computers & not having the same issue that I am on top of that.

I have tried using spacedesk but it visually messes with stuff on the desktop side too much for me to actually want to use it long term. Currently using a wormhole USB cable to control both computers with one set of KB & mouse but would rather just have the laptop be a second display for me.

Other 3rd party programs and options welcome. Spacedesk and an HDMI cord are out though.

TL;DR: Laptop says "ready to connect wirelessly" but does not show up on my desktops connect panel to select it. Did work 6 months ago, doesn't anymore. Win 10 2004.

submitted by /u/tS_kStin
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/tS_kStin, Oct 12, 2020
  2. rv271167 Win User

Microsoft Wireless Display - Night light not coming up on second monitor.

I have recently purchased the Microsoft Wireless display adapter. When night light in on, only laptop displays night night but the second monitor (HP) doesn't display night light.

rv271167, Oct 12, 2020
  3. Running a Second Monitor & Wireless Display from Lenovo P50 Thinkpad Laptop

Hi Microsoft Community -

I'm currently "duplicating" my Thinkpad screen onto a Dell monitor via HDMI. I leave the laptop closed, so I'm only using one screen. I recently purchased an Microsoft Wireless Display Adaptor V2 for an Insignia TV and want to be able to "Extend" my Dell
    monitor to the TV screen.

Although the "Project" screen recognizes the adapter and attempts to connect to it once selected, the screen reverts to the "Ready to Connect" state after 10 seconds of the TV monitor turning Black.

I am running Windows 10 on a Lenovo Thinkpad P50 with an Nvidia Quadro m2000m.

I've tried every troubleshooting step I have been able to find with no luck.

Preston Kirkpatrick, Oct 12, 2020
  4. Using laptop as second monitor via wireless display

Second monitor doesn't always display?

I have the same problem that after reboot, morning startup or after sleep the second monitor, that I have selected as my main display, quite often (not always) seems to have been forgotten. I am using an HP ProBook6560b laptop and a Samsung Syncmaster P2250
    display as my second display. It is connected with the analog monitor cable and the computer KNOWS that it is connected to this monitor.

What I mean is that I can find the monitor and its drivers onboard and it is listed in devices attached to this computer.

Erik Eilertsen, Oct 12, 2020
Thema:

Using laptop as second monitor via wireless display

1. Using laptop as second monitor via wireless display - Similar Threads - Using laptop second

2. Use laptop as the second monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Use laptop as the second monitor: I want to use my laptop as a second monitor for my desktop, but its not possible using physical cable. I tried using screen projecting on Windows but the laptop eventually became quite delay. What cause this to happen?...
  3. Use laptop as the second monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Use laptop as the second monitor: I want to use my laptop as a second monitor for my desktop, but its not possible using physical cable. I tried using screen projecting on Windows but the laptop eventually became quite delay. What cause this to happen?...
  4. Using a second monitor as an extended display via HDMI to VGA Adapter. Can you?

Using a second monitor as an extended display via HDMI to VGA Adapter. Can you?: I use a Dell laptop and at home I have an old Dell monitor. I want to connect the Dell monitor as a second display via the HDMI port using a HDMI to VGA adapter. The monitor works fine as a duplicate display but now I want to use them as an extended display but the laptop...
  5. Wireless second display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wireless second display: Until two days ago I‘ve been using my Windows 10 tablet as a second display for my Windows 11 laptop, connecting wirelessly. Obviously both are set up to be used in this fashion and I’ve made no changes to either device.Suddenly the devices will no longer connect. The laptop...
  6. Wireless second display

Wireless second display: Until two days ago I‘ve been using my Windows 10 tablet as a second display for my Windows 11 laptop, connecting wirelessly. Obviously both are set up to be used in this fashion and I’ve made no changes to either device.Suddenly the devices will no longer connect. The laptop...
  7. Wireless Second Monitor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wireless Second Monitor: Hello, Newbie question here: I have 2 laptops. When I connect to the second laptop wirelessly with the first, using the second as an additional monitor, Which graphics cards is the second laptop (the one being used as an external monitor) running off? Is it my first...
  8. Using laptop as a second monitor?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Using laptop as a second monitor?: Ive been trying to use my old crappy laptop as a second moniter on my PC. My computer doesnt have wifi, its using and ethernet. I know you can project screens but i cant due to not having wifi. Is there a way to use an HDMI cable to connect the two? submitted by...
  9. Running a Second Monitor & Wireless Display from Lenovo P50 Thinkpad Laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Running a Second Monitor & Wireless Display from Lenovo P50 Thinkpad Laptop: Hi Microsoft Community - I'm currently "duplicating" my Thinkpad screen onto a Dell monitor via HDMI. I leave the laptop closed, so I'm only using one screen. I recently purchased an Microsoft Wireless Display Adaptor V2 for an Insignia TV and want to be able to "Extend"...
  10. second laptop for display monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    second laptop for display monitor: Won't detect https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/second-laptop-for-display-monitor/744493e6-624f-456e-8663-0dfc47c6b535