Windows 10: Using linux mint in hyper-v resolution problem

Discus and support Using linux mint in hyper-v resolution problem in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I installed Linux-Mint in a gen 1 hyper-v session, and it installed fine. My main issue is that it setups up in an odd screen size and requires... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by cereberus, Jun 2, 2017.

1. cereberus Win User

Using linux mint in hyper-v resolution problem

I installed Linux-Mint in a gen 1 hyper-v session, and it installed fine.

My main issue is that it setups up in an odd screen size and requires scroll bars. I go to display settings and it say laptop 12xx x 8xx (4:3) resolution, and no option to select 1366x768.

I googled a fair bit but could not make sense of any info. Regrettably, as with many typical linux expert replies, the replies go deep into command line speak but do not lead you in a "tutorial" style approach.

So does anybody know how I change it?

EDIT: googled again and found simple solution

1) Open Terminal

2) Type: sudo nano /etc/default/grub

3) Find the line starting with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT, and add video=hyperv_fb:[the resolution you want].

So my line ends up looking like this: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash video=hyperv_fb:1366x768"

4) Write the changes and quit nano

5) Run: sudo update-grub

6) Reboot the virtual machine

Now works perfectly. Fix was actually for a ubunto distro but works fine on Mint as well.

So next question is - can I run and rdp server and run this in enhanced mode?

More googling to do *Smile

:)

cereberus, Jun 2, 2017

2. Hyper-V full screen mode not covering the entire screen

Hi

I recently started using hyper-v to run Ubuntu and Linux Mint virtual machines, When I switch to full screen mode the VM does not cover the entire screen it only covers a small portion at the center.

I have updated all the settings on the LINUX end but it did not improve the situation by much, This leads me to believe that the issue is at Windows end. I am running it on a 4K resolution (3840X2160).

Please let me know if anyone knows how to fix this.

Thanks

ElBaronRojoj, Jun 2, 2017
  3. Dual Booting Windows 10 Pro & Linux Mint/Cinnamon- Updated

I recommend you use Ubuntu or setup Linux Mint in virtual machine, especially if you are not familiar with it.

There are lot of resources for installing Windows and Linux together, especially on YouTube.

How to Dual Boot Windows 10 and Linux Mint - YouTube

Andre Da Costa, Jun 2, 2017
  4. Kari Win User

Kari, Jun 2, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    Well, I decided to use CentOS and follow tutorial but it fell over at starting service. Any ideas?

cheers

C.

Using linux mint in hyper-v resolution problem [​IMG]

cereberus, Jun 3, 2017
  6. Kari Win User
    It seems that you have not installed XRDP as clearly shown in your screenshot, error message telling "no such file".

Your screenshot:

Compared to screenshot from video (at 03:05):

Kari, Jun 3, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    Thanks - I'll have to find out why.

Edit: ok - got xrdp now and installed etc.

Couple of points for other who might try this.

1) Change CentOS resolution

Commands that worked above for Linux Mint did not work for CentOS

This worked from a superuser prompt

grubby --update-kernel=ALL --args="video=hyperv_fb:1366x768"

2) XRDP installation

I had to create a repository first

see extract below from link

Install xrdp on CentOS 7 / RHEL 7

Create a repository file.
    # vi /etc/yum.repos.d/xrdp.repo
    Place the following content. Once added, save and close the file.
    [xrdp]
    name=xrdp
    baseurl=Index of /download/nux/dextop/el7/x86_64
    enabled=1
    gpgcheck=0
    Then I followed @Kari's tutorial thereafter and it worked fine.

Next step - trying RDP*Smile

cereberus, Jun 3, 2017
  8. Kari Win User

Let us know if remote desktop worked.

Kari, Jun 3, 2017
  9. cereberus Win User
    Yeah - it is working ok but need to optimise display settings a bit - work in progress.

I cannot, for the life of me, see how to set sound. I configured rdp as in screen dump below as discussed on various websites.

I notice sound is set to dummy output in Centos.

I am obviously missing something fundamental!

Now I remember why I am anti Linux. If there was a single version, it would be easier, but the versions have different quirks, and having to use terminal to basic things is a PITA.

cereberus, Jun 3, 2017
  10. Kari Win User
    Yes, the sound in Linux guests is a problem. I have found no way to get sound on CentOS guest, RDP or not.

11. cereberus Win User
    I came to same conclusion after much web searching. This is one area Hyper-V is inferior to other tools. MS do not seem interested as they are largely concerned with other Windows vms which can be used in enhanced mode unless Home.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Using linux mint in hyper-v resolution problem - Similar Threads - Using linux mint

2. Linux Mint

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Linux Mint: Can you please tell me how to disable write protection on a Drive using Linux Mint USB Bootable...basically messed my computer up and then used linux mint usb bootable to boot. now i wish to format my drive but cannot because it is write protected.....i can see and access...
  3. Linux Mint

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Linux Mint: Can you please tell me how to disable write protection on a Drive using Linux Mint USB Bootable...basically messed my computer up and then used linux mint usb bootable to boot. now i wish to format my drive but cannot because it is write protected.....i can see and access...
  4. Linux Mint

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Remove Linux mint?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Remove Linux mint?: Hello I have again created a partition on my hard disk to be able to use Linux next to Windows. I've been doing that for a while. However, I have no idea how to remove Linux without harming my laptop. The last time haveichdan rebuilt the remaining free space back into my...
  6. HYPER-V LINUX VM with sound

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    HYPER-V LINUX VM with sound: Hi folks trying an experiment I hadn't thought of before Going through some old junk I found a small mini USB sound and Mic adapter. Tested it on a Native CENTOS machine (the one with the radeon GPU where I couldn't get sound working in any case) Worked fine -- hardware...
  7. @KARI access Linux HDD's in HYPER-V VM

@KARI access Linux HDD's in HYPER-V VM: Hi there particularly @Kari. I'm playing around now with HYPER-V. I want to access 1 X 9 TB and 1 X 7 TB Linux internal HDD's from a HYPER-V VM (Centos 7). I'm running HOST W10 pro x-64. I've taken the two HDD's offline to the HOST but can't seem to get the VM to...
  8. Possible to change Hyper-V console resolution?

Possible to change Hyper-V console resolution?: I have a high DPI display. When running VMs that do not support changing resolution the text in the console is so small it is almost unreadable. This happens with Linux guests without a GUI (CentOS minimal for example) and Windows PE. Is there anything that can be done to...
  9. Linux under Hyper-V: RDP connection

Linux under Hyper-V: RDP connection: I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this, but is there any way to speed up my RDP connection to an openSUSE guest running locally under Hyper-V? I'm using a NAT vSwitch to provide it with both Internet and host connectivity and remote over the static IP is has on...
  10. Hyper-V – software rendering & screen resolution

Hyper-V – software rendering & screen resolution: I am a new user of Hyper-V on a Windows 10 Pro 64-bit host, and have just installed Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 64-bit. I have two queries from my initial use, and am hoping that experienced users can give me some guidance. (1) When Linux is first launched I am given a warning...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. linux mint hyper-v resolution

2. resolution of mint vm on hyper-v windows 10 gedit

3. nu vot

4. hyper v linux mint full screen,
  5. change resolution linuxmint on hyper-v,
  6. linux mint in hyper v resolution problem visualisation,
  7. linux mint in hyper-v display resolution,
  8. hyper-v run linux mint at startup highdpi,
  9. change resolution mint hyperv,
  10. microsoft hyper-v linux mint,