Windows 10: Using Macrium Free - Correctly?

Discus and support Using Macrium Free - Correctly? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB memory, several SSDs for storage, hard drives for backups. Ive been using the free version of Macrium Reflect (7.3) for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by GracieAllen, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Using Macrium Free - Correctly?

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB memory, several SSDs for storage, hard drives for backups.

Ive been using the free version of Macrium Reflect (7.3) for several weeks. Im trying to figure out if Im doing it right.

Im doing an image of my system, so it backs up C (110 GB in use) and three small, unnamed partitions. 1 is NTFS 554MB, one is NTFS 511MB and the third is FAT32 327MB. My understanding is they have something to do with system recovery.

The most common use for this system is image processing other normal stuff like Office and email and such, but the big resource user is image processing.

That said, there is NOTHING other than the programs on the "C" drive. Cache, temps, catalogs, images, everything else is on other partitions, usually on other devices.

I have Macrium do a full backup weekly, and differentials the other days. I don't believe I can do incrementals in the free version. My backups SEEM to be unusually large
    Sunday night full: 56.7GB
    Monday diff: none (not sure why - I'll have to figure that out)
    Tuesday diff: 29.7GB
    Wednesday diff: 29.3GB (why did it go down?)
    Thursday diff: 29.5GB
    Friday diff: 30.2GB
    Saturday diff: 29.9GB

Any ideas what gigantic thing I'm likely doing on the system drive that would be causing this? My pagefile.sys is 15GB, but my swapfile is only 17MB and theres no hiberfile

I thought Macrium didnt backup the pagefile, swapfile, hiberfile and hopefully not the recycling bin

Am I wrong?
    And if it IS backing all these up, and that's what's causing the big differentials, is there a way to shut them off?

:)

GracieAllen, Dec 17, 2020
  2. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Using Macrium Free - Correctly? [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Dec 17, 2020
  3. 3Colors Win User
    Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Using Macrium Free - Correctly? :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Dec 17, 2020
  4. Jerry8AB Win User

Using Macrium Free - Correctly?

Macrium Boot Question

Macrium Boot Question

I use Windows 10 and a Macrium recovery program. My BIOS is set where the optical disk for CDs and DVDs are not set to recognize a CD/DVD disc as the first priority to boot from.

What are the steps I should take to make my Macrium Rescue Disk as being first to boot from?

Thanks,

Jerry

Jerry8AB, Dec 17, 2020
Thema:

Using Macrium Free - Correctly?

1. Using Macrium Free - Correctly? - Similar Threads - Using Macrium Free

2. Macrium free disabled?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium free disabled?: I have set Macrium to do backups, two selections and each one runs automatically twice a week. Yesterday, I thought I would do a check and discovered that no backups had taken place since August 4th. When I checked I found that these backup had been disabled, task scheduler...
  3. Macrium free disabled?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium free disabled?: I have set Macrium to do backups, two selections and each one runs automatically twice a week. Yesterday, I thought I would do a check and discovered that no backups had taken place since August 4th. When I checked I found that these backup had been disabled, task scheduler...
  4. Migrating from HDD to SSD using free Macrium Reflect

Migrating from HDD to SSD using free Macrium Reflect: I am getting ready to add an M.2 275GB SSD to my Acer Aspire E5-575-33BM which came with a 1TB 5400 HDD and Windows 10 Home preinstalled. I have browsed forums and watched several tutorials on YouTube. Here is my question before I start. One video showed moving the OS...
  5. Macrium Reflect free

Macrium Reflect free: Hi guys ,so I am using macrium free for backing up my laptop windows 10 pro which do not contain any dvd rom.i have a 252 gb external hard disk which I would like to use for creating the recovery disk or iso. my problem is that I do not want to use the full 250 gb for this...
  6. Macrium reflect free

Macrium reflect free: Now it will not reinstall saying it cannot find the target I am going to run sfc then dism
  7. Is this normal behavior using the Macrium Reflect free boot media?

Is this normal behavior using the Macrium Reflect free boot media?: I am running Windows 10 home. Recently installed macrium free latest V6 version. Previously used Acronis. I created the rescue media on cd. Booting from a cold boot with the cd, I can see the read/write light on the cd and hard drive activity on my tower, but all i am...
  8. Macrium reflect free compatibility

Macrium reflect free compatibility: Short question are the images produced on reflect 5.1 compatible with 6.Long question: I have backed up my laptop over wireless to a network drive. Laptop is running xp and networked desktop is running win 10. I plan to change my laptop hard drive to an SSD but need to...
  9. Macrium Free

Macrium Free: I just downloaded Macrium Reflect Free version 6.3. When I tried to backup my system disk that has two partitions, Windows Reserved and Windows itself, I go an error message saying, : MFT corrupt =6. Please run chkdsk /f. I did that several times on the disk with no...
  10. Macrium Reflect Free

Macrium Reflect Free: Good Day All just curious if this looks right [img] the fourth section of my C: drive is all red meaning full (almost) is this normal Thanks in ADV for any info 97310