Windows 10: using Macrium, ransomware threat, move from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Discus and support using Macrium, ransomware threat, move from Windows 7 to Windows 10 in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Im relatively new with posting on forumsIm not sure whether or not this post should be 2-3 separate posts and possibly even to different forums so... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by dpwoodpecker, Jul 28, 2020.

1. using Macrium, ransomware threat, move from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Im relatively new with posting on forumsIm not sure whether or not this post should be 2-3 separate posts and possibly even to different forums so please bear with the convoluted situation Ive gotten myself into:
    I run Windows 7 Pro on Dell XPS (pre-2014 model, Version 6.1, build 7610 Service Pack 1) and Im in the process of transitioning over to Windows 10 Pro (build 10.0.18363.418) on Dell XPS (7390 model). W7 machine only updated to Dec 2017 (group B).
    Last week I got a Malwarebytes RTP detection alert and that it had blocked a ransomware (?) threat. I then made a backup image of all local drives on W7 laptop using Macrium Reflect Free Edition v5.2.6544, mistakenly with a non-bootable flash drive. My questions / concerns:
    1. Is the backup image at all usable, for future restore or cloning? all drives including the OS or just the DATA partition?
    2. Is there a chance for the image already made to be corrupted / infected by the blocked threat?
    3. If I do have to make a backup image with a bootable flash drive, please give me instructions to do this. Also, is there a free edition of v7.2, which would allow me to do backups / cloning similar to older versions? Is there time limit to the free edition?
    4. What can I do to ensure a clean image of the DATA partition on W7 machine to transfer / clone to DATA partition in W10 machine? Or should this question be posted to sevensforum?
    5. What do I do to remove the threat on W7, as Ive also got various alerts from WinPatrol of Windows Error Report Service (WERFAULT.exe) being stopped from running at Startup (but when checked, it showed manual start), then later another alert of Windows Error Report Service being added to run at Startup and when that was rejected, an caution message of along the line of possible malware..stating that the rejection failed and another component of the program is still trying to run the service at Startup to take control of computers Startup. Unfortunately, I didnt save any screenshots of WinPatrol alerts and is having trouble figuring out where to find the WinPatrol log files etc for more details of these alerts. Or should this question be posted to sevensforum?

:)

dpwoodpecker, Jul 28, 2020

2. using Macrium, ransomware threat, move from Windows 7 to Windows 10

So I finally was able to scan W7 machine with Emsisoft Emergency Kit (no threats) and with HitmanPro free edition (also no threats). Malwarebytes (Premium) is already installed and daily threat scans since the blocked-ransomware alert were also clean of threats (besides Malware.AI warning of WinPatrol, which has been deleted). Even did sfc /verifyonly and no integrity violations found.

I've also updated to v7.2 MR to make another backup image and to make a new bootable rescue media because the bootable rescue media I've made with v5 MR no longer boots (on either W7 or W10 machines). I've used the function "create rescue media" and this step was successful.

But testing to boot from it on W7 machine, this newly-made flash drive also did not boot. After I've chosen to boot from "removable drive", I briefly got a blank black screen then the usual screen with "Starting Windows" and my logon screen.

Incidentally, I didn't have any brand new flash drives on hand so had re-used one that was already a bootable flash drive for some other programs to make this new MR rescue media. I assumed that MR rescue media wizard would include reformatting of the disk and making it bootable before WinRE3.1 is built and MR7.2 is written to it.

How do I prep a used bootable flash drive so that I can re-use it to create a working bootable MR rescue media for W7 machine (or point me to existing tutorials / past resolved posts). Many thanks!

dpwoodpecker, Jul 29, 2020
  3. trparky Win User
    Say goodbye to ransomware with Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

Yes, ransomware will be a thing of the past with Windows 10 Fall Creators Update thanks to something called "Controlled Folder Access" in Windows Defender.

Windows 10 will hide your important files from ransomware soon | The Verge

These are protections for your files against ransomware at the kernel and Windows Defender level. Rest easy, your files are safe.

About damn time Microsoft!

trparky, Jul 29, 2020
  4. using Macrium, ransomware threat, move from Windows 7 to Windows 10

using Macrium, ransomware threat, move from Windows 7 to Windows 10

1) Yes, the backup may be usable with some possible exceptions. You first need to determine if there is a REAL ransomeware threat. You may want to check with Malwarebytes regarding the positive detection you received. If it did successfully block the threat, then you should be good.

Even if you do have an infection, data files (not executables) should be no problem to restore. Remember that you can always mount a backup as if it was a drive and then simply copy files from it to another drive. This holds true for all partitions that you have backed up, not just the OS partition.

2) If the original partition was corrupted and you made an image backup of that partition, then that corruption will be present in the image as well. Again, note that you should still be able to recover data files.

3) To restore an image, you don't need bootable media unless you plan to restore the OS drive and related partitions. In that case you will need to have a bootable Macrium Reflect drive (thumb drive, CD, DVD, etc.) but the drive that you backed up your data to does not itself have to be bootable. You can always boot from a Macrium boot disk and then access the backups that are located on other drives or network locations. The free version does not have any time limit, only fewer capabilities than the paid version.

4) If your data partition is just that - data only, you do not need to do anything special. It would basically be just like taking that data disk and plugging it into a Windows 10 system. Windows 10 has no problem reading and writing disk that were previously used with Windows 7.

5) Forgive me for not being familiar with the particular malware / antivirus programs you are using, but when they detect a threat, do they not tell you whether they themselves were able to neutralize the threat and if not do they offer advice how how to remove the threat?

Another possible solution would be to simply start clean: Perform a clean install of Windows 10, followed by installation of your programs, then finally restore all your data files from your backup images.

hsehestedt, Jul 29, 2020
Thema:

using Macrium, ransomware threat, move from Windows 7 to Windows 10

1. using Macrium, ransomware threat, move from Windows 7 to Windows 10 - Similar Threads - using Macrium ransomware

2. Move license from Windows 10 to Windows 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move license from Windows 10 to Windows 7: Hi, I'm trying to move license from Windows 10 to Windows 7. To do that I've already tried several methods like entering commands into the command line or saving a code snippet into a text file and then executing it to get a string of text that looks like an activation code,...
  3. Move license from Windows 10 to Windows 7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move license from Windows 10 to Windows 7: Hi, I'm trying to move license from Windows 10 to Windows 7. To do that I've already tried several methods like entering commands into the command line or saving a code snippet into a text file and then executing it to get a string of text that looks like an activation code,...
  4. using Macrium, ransomware threat, move from Windows 7 to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    using Macrium, ransomware threat, move from Windows 7 to Windows 10: Im relatively new with posting on forumsIm not sure whether or not this post should be 2-3 separate posts and possibly even to different forums so please bear with the convoluted situation Ive gotten myself into: I run Windows 7 Pro on Dell XPS (pre-2014 model, Version 6.1,...
  5. I'm moving on from Windows 7, is Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I'm moving on from Windows 7, is Windows 10: any good or does anyone have any other recommendations? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/im-moving-on-from-windows-7-is-windows-10/93885513-8a4c-46a0-abbf-db7cb26c8ba0
  6. Moving Files from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Moving Files from Windows 7 to Windows 10: The messages I am getting after 5.5 hours of trying to move data is that I do not have permission as the administrator when I am the administrator. Coming up with building he copy with file names that I do not know why they are there. This is 100% Microsoft programs. Also...
  7. Ransomware..is this a real threat.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Ransomware..is this a real threat.: Hi everyone, Yesterday I received three emails stating that I have been looking at dodgy sites and they have webcam footage of me....etc....they want £3,000 in bitcoin. OK I know this bit is a scam because I don't look at dodgy sites or have a webcam. The weird thing is...
  8. Moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10: Hello everyone. This is my first time using this forum, was already on sevenforums before so I came to this forum since I am moving to Windows 10 OS. If I posted in wrong section, administrator please move to correct thread or something, I'm new to use of forum. Anyway, my...
  9. Moving from Windows 10 to Windows 7.

Moving from Windows 10 to Windows 7.: I am currently using windows 10. I want to go to, not downgrade or go back to, I want to go to windows 7. I was surfing the internet (Youtube) and I saw some videos, however, most of them are demonstrating how to downgrade to windows 7 and in order to do that, you're going to...
  10. Cannot move from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Cannot move from Windows 7 to Windows 10: Going from Windows 7 pro 64 to Windows 10 Pro has been a complete failure for me. I have not gotten notification from Microsoft but instead have tried through the Media Creation Tool doing a direct to hard drive installation, a download to a flash drive, and lastly from the...