Windows 10: Using Macrium Reflect to transfer data between two machines

Discus and support Using Macrium Reflect to transfer data between two machines in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I need help with using Macrium Reflect (v7.2.5107.0) to transfer data on XPS13 laptop running W7 to the newly formatted and empty partition DATA (D:)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by dpwoodpecker, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Using Macrium Reflect to transfer data between two machines

I need help with using Macrium Reflect (v7.2.5107.0) to transfer data on XPS13 laptop running W7 to the newly formatted and empty partition DATA (D:) on 2nd (and newer) XPS13 laptop running W10. Ive made backup image of W10 system partitions, using MR to a folder on an external backup hard drive (screenshot attached):

Using Macrium Reflect to transfer data between two machines [​IMG]

Ive already backed up the W7 DATA (D:) partition with MR to the same external backup drive.
    When I run MR on W10, I can browse and see this saved backup folder (and image)please see attached screenshot:

How do I proceed to choose the destination location of the restore as the DATA (D:)? MR doesnt allow me to specifically specify the DATA (D:) partition of Destination (local disk) - please see screenshot:

Theres a helpful tip on top of the screen shown in the above screenshot [Drag Partitions to the Destination Disk or click Copy selected partitions]. Im hesitant to proceed as I suspect that this action may actually overwrite the system partitions (particularly the three at the end of the disk) and not necessary overwrite the intended empty DATA (DUsing Macrium Reflect to transfer data between two machines :) partition.

My system specs have been updated: PC 1 is the W7 machine and 2nd PC is the W10 machine. I've allotted time to do this transfer this morning so really hope there are longtime MR users are online now to help me with the next crucial steps & be able to use Windows 10 more regularly.

:)

dpwoodpecker, Sep 14, 2020
  2. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Sep 14, 2020
  3. Phil_A1 Win User
    Loading an image (Macrium Reflect) of my C drive into a brand-new pc to retain browser settings, etc.

A few days ago I was told that to accomplish my goal I needed to use Macrium Reflect to take an image of my C drive, and then transfer the image to the new pc. I've done that, and would like to know if it's a simple matter of just transferring it from
    my Seagate external HD to the new pc, so my browser settings, etc. will be as they are now...or are there any other steps I need to take in the process?

Phil_A1, Sep 14, 2020
  4. Using Macrium Reflect to transfer data between two machines

Computer stuck in LIMBO, please help me (deleted all permissions).

I would do this:

1. Download & install the free version of Macrium Reflect, using a different PC.
    2. Create a bootable Macrium Reflect Rescue disk.
    3. Boot the problem PC with this disk.
    4. Create an image of your disk. Park the image on some backup disk.
    5. Check on a different machine if the data contained in the image disk is readable.
    6. Re-install Windows.
    7. Restore your data from the image you created in Step 4.

In this way you're guaranteed not to lose any data.

Frederik Long, Sep 14, 2020
Thema:

Using Macrium Reflect to transfer data between two machines

1. Using Macrium Reflect to transfer data between two machines - Similar Threads - Using Macrium Reflect

2. Using Macrium Reflect

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Using Macrium Reflect: I'm not confident about using this. Googling tells me Launch Macrium Reflect from your Start menu, desktop or taskbar. Click the disk you want to clone. ... Click Clone this disk Click Select a disk to clone to I've done this but it's not obvious where/what you Click or...
  3. Question on Using Macrium Reflect 7 with two drives

Question on Using Macrium Reflect 7 with two drives: I have a new Win 10 Dell desktop with two internal drives a 128 GB C drive with the Windows OS and files,and folders, programs and apps and a 1TB data D drive with photos, documents, videos and music, etc and after finally getting it to do what I want, I am ready to create an...
  4. Transferring data between two computers.

in Windows 10 Support
    Transferring data between two computers.: Hello, I have recently bought a new laptop and I want to transfer all the data from my Personal Computer to laptop. Which option should I use, disk image or clone creator? Is transferring all the data in order to make my laptop the same as my computer even possible? Both...
  5. Macrium Reflect v7.1 Use of RoboCopy

Macrium Reflect v7.1 Use of RoboCopy: [img] [img] More info at The source Backup Folder Synchronization - KnowledgeBase v7 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase - KnowledgeBase v7 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase This only applies to The Paid Version 94516
  6. Macrium Reflect Difficulties

Macrium Reflect Difficulties: Hi all I've got an issue with imaging using Macrium Reflect Free. I'm running a dual boot system using Bootcamp with Windows 7 & 10 on two primary partitions on my iMac 24. Both work perfectly but if I run Macrium Reflect on either one of the two OS's, the Windows 10...
  7. Macrium reflect free

Macrium reflect free: Now it will not reinstall saying it cannot find the target I am going to run sfc then dism
  8. Macrium Reflect

Macrium Reflect: Where are instructions for Macrium Reflect ? Don Cole 101495
  9. Macrium Reflect Data Verification failed issues

Macrium Reflect Data Verification failed issues: Recently a pc I have been using Macrium Reflect on for 7 years now has been having issues?The problem is not that images cannot be made successfully, but rather the image files created afterwards do not verify (error says Data Verification failed - Block 187154) and cannot be...
  10. Macrium Reflect...

Macrium Reflect...: Hi all, Having just upgraded to the latest Window 10 CU I am now looking for so good back up software... For a number of years I have been using Memeo instant back up, and the version I have now it old so an update is required even though it still does it's job........