Windows 10: Using Macrium to restore mbr image of Win 10 to NVMe GPT

Discus and support Using Macrium to restore mbr image of Win 10 to NVMe GPT in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello I'm running Windows 10 Pro x64 v1903 build 18362.959 on a Dell Optiplex 7040 MT w/16GB RAM and 512GB 2.5" SSD Win 10 is still MBR partitioned... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by ComputerGeek, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Using Macrium to restore mbr image of Win 10 to NVMe GPT

Hello

• I'm running Windows 10 Pro x64 v1903 build 18362.959 on a
    • Dell Optiplex 7040 MT w/16GB RAM and 512GB 2.5" SSD
    • Win 10 is still MBR partitioned
    • I'm adding a 500GB NVMe I purchased from Crucial
    • I'm using Macrium Home Edition v7.2.5107 (s/b latest version)

I want to restore my backup image from a USB external drive to the NVMe and convert MBR to GPT partitioning as well. I understand I should disable the SATA 2.5" SSD in BIOS before the restore.

What I'm not sure of: will Macrium restore to new Hardware (the NVMe) and by default also convert from MBR to GPT or are there additional steps to get the partitioning done as part of the restore? Any other tips/info you think might be helpful in the process are welcome as well.

Thanks in advance for the help! Using Macrium to restore mbr image of Win 10 to NVMe GPT :)

:)

ComputerGeek, Aug 14, 2020
  2. slance310 Win User

How to restore or convert an mbr system image to gpt format

Hi,

Are you talking about TWO instances of Win 10 running, or are you wanting to overwrite the Win 10 GPT partition with the MBR Image ?...

Loading the MBR image onto the GPT partition might work without any issues, but there may be some... The GPT installation probably uses a EFI partition and "Windows Boot Manager" to boot... the MBR installation does not...

If it does not, a Startup Repair may resolve the problem...

I have had mixed success switching between MBR and GPT installations of Win 10...

Depending on how you created the System Image, it may refuse to load onto a GPT drive... The Windows imaging method is pretty finicky about stuff like that...

slance310, Aug 14, 2020
  3. How to restore or convert an mbr system image to gpt format

Hello, I created a Windows 10 System Image on my mbr setup and then I reinstalled windows 10 after I installed Gentoo Linux with a GPT partition. So my question is how can I restore my mbr System Image to my new gpt version of windows 10. Thanks just ask
    if you need to know more.

AspieHacker, Aug 14, 2020
  4. Using Macrium to restore mbr image of Win 10 to NVMe GPT

Smittychat., Aug 14, 2020
Thema:

Using Macrium to restore mbr image of Win 10 to NVMe GPT

1. Using Macrium to restore mbr image of Win 10 to NVMe GPT - Similar Threads - Using Macrium restore

2. MBR To GPT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MBR To GPT: Hello there!I have installed Windows 11 with a weird way I found on Youtube.Although my system supports all the specifications to run Windows 11 and I am stuck at the secure boot thing.I activated Secure Boot from my motherboard and now I have to run MBR2GPT.EXE and an error...
  3. Macrium cloned / restored images to ANOTHER drive will not boot? MBR

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium cloned / restored images to ANOTHER drive will not boot? MBR: I hope some of you might be able to shed some light on boot issues I'm experiencing with my cloned boot images. A little background I currently boot from an SSD which is in MBR format; booting from a UEFI compatible motherboard. I also have a second SSD which is may DATA...
  4. GPT to MBR scheme using Macrium Reflect Free

GPT to MBR scheme using Macrium Reflect Free: Good evening. I have got a MR image that it's currently GPT but I need to restore it to MBR because mainboard died and new one does not support UEFI. How can I accomplish that? I have tried restoring directly but disk is automatically formatted as GPT. Will mounting the...
  5. Image restore problem using Macrium Reflect

Image restore problem using Macrium Reflect: I made an Image backup of Windows 10 64 Bit the other day using the free version of Macrium Reflect v.7. I am having a spot of trouble on my Dell laptop and decided I would restore the system from Macrium. What I failed to do, I am beginning to understand, was to make the...
  6. Macrium Restore Image

Macrium Restore Image: I just performed a clean install from 1809 ISO saved the MR image of the clean install to my ext. USB HD and 64GB 3.0 flash drive. This morning I tested the clean install from the flash drive, MR went through all the image restore set up then I received an error message...
  7. GPT or MBR

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    GPT or MBR: Or MBR or GPT Asus laptop with 8.1 installed. One disk, 2 partitions. I've installed 10 a number of times, VM and dual boot on desktop. Went to install 10, dual boot. When I got to picking the partition, said "Cannot be installed, selected disk is of the MBR partition...
  8. Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect: I am in the process of creating an Image of HP Pavillion DVT7 2200 Notebook now. Once it completes I would really appreciate getting some steps to follow to restore it. The Laptop I have Macrium Reflect running on now will have the HD replaced as it on the verge of failing...
  9. Win 10 pro MBR TO GPT

Win 10 pro MBR TO GPT: I,m sorry if this has been posted before . I managed to secure erase my Samsung evo 850 m.2 250GB SSD then reinstalled windows using the official Microsoft tool . I don't know how but the disc is now MBR so wont allow me to use secure boot UEFI . I understand that the disc...
  10. Can I use Macrium Image/Restore process to transfer to NVme SSD

Can I use Macrium Image/Restore process to transfer to NVme SSD: I currently have my Windows system on a 250G SSD (SATA 0). I have read that a good way to upgrade to a new SSD, would be to use Macrium to image the current system, boot to the Macrium USB recovery, then restore the image to the new drive. Is this feasible if the new SSD...