Windows 10: Using Microsoft Authenticator for Windows 10 Login

Discus and support Using Microsoft Authenticator for Windows 10 Login in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; We are currently in a hybrid environment with all endpoints managed through Endpoint Manager. All PC's are hybrid Azure AD joined and all user accounts... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Brandon Neal, Sep 29, 2021.

1. Using Microsoft Authenticator for Windows 10 Login

We are currently in a hybrid environment with all endpoints managed through Endpoint Manager. All PC's are hybrid Azure AD joined and all user accounts are synced in Azure Active Directory as well. We have turned on the security feature to use Microsoft Authenticator app for our Microsoft Accounts, but we want to take it a step further and use it on our Windows 10 devices. Is this an option? Or do we have to use a third party option to complete this?What we currently have enabled right now is Windows Hello for Business and testing this feature. We also created a configuration profile to deploy

:)

Brandon Neal, Sep 29, 2021

2. Windows Microsoft account authentication

I have a valid Microsoft account and a Windows 10 PC with Hello/PIN account login enabled. I also have the Microsoft Authenticator app installed on an iPhone and configured for the Microsoft account. Additionally, I have two step authentication configured
    for the Microsoft account. With all of that said, I have become very exasperated while trying to unravel the various authentication paths (and their security implications) through this multi level login security scheme. I find the associated account security
    documentation to be woefully inadequate. Thus, I would like to pose the following list of questions for starters.

1. Does Windows Hello/PIN amount to a two step verification login procedure for my Microsoft account?

2. Does approving a Microsoft Authenticator login attempt (without two step verification explicitly set up)

amount to a two step verification login procedure for my Microsoft account?

3. Does approving a Microsoft Authenticator login attempt (with two step verification explicitly set up)

amount to a two step verification login procedure for my Microsoft account?

4. If answers to both 2 and 3 are yes, then what does explicit set up of two step authentication do?

5. Does a coherent, comprehensive document explaining Microsoft account security configuration exist somewhere?

6. If the answer to 5 is yes, wherer is it?

Thanks in advance.

Thomas E. Davis, Sep 29, 2021
  3. poit57 Win User
    Microsoft Account authentication

After more research, I have found my answer. It looks like the issue was that Microsoft released a new Microsoft Authenticator app with the features first introduced in Microsoft Authenticator Beta. The new app received a prompt to approve access to my Microsoft
    Account when signing on from a new PC, though I find it strange that the beta app wasn't directly upgraded to the new version of the app.

Microsoft now has three 2 step authentication apps available in the store for Windows 10 Mobile:

• Authenticator - original app from Windows Phone 8
    • Microsoft Authenticator Beta - originally released to Windows 10 users when Windows 10 Mobile was only available on the Windows Insider program.
    • Microsoft Authenticator - the official Windows 10 app no longer in beta

poit57, Sep 29, 2021
  4. Using Microsoft Authenticator for Windows 10 Login

Microsoft Selects Dolby Audio for Windows 10

it would've been great if microsoft added HEVC decoders, LAV filters along with other codecs with Windows 10, and developing WMP to be better than VLC, KMPlayer and such sorts of media players.

Nevertheless, this is good step for microsoft, by far.

Analog_Interface, Sep 29, 2021
Thema:

Using Microsoft Authenticator for Windows 10 Login

1. Using Microsoft Authenticator for Windows 10 Login - Similar Threads - Using Microsoft Authenticator

2. Windows 10 log in using Microsoft Authenticator

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 log in using Microsoft Authenticator: Hello,is there a way to enable passwordless login to windows 10 laptop, joined to Entra using Microsoft Authenticator app? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-log-in-using-microsoft-authenticator/b666c282-b8d1-4185-a483-4f714edf40ce
  3. Windows 10 log in using Microsoft Authenticator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 log in using Microsoft Authenticator: Hello,is there a way to enable passwordless login to windows 10 laptop, joined to Entra using Microsoft Authenticator app? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-log-in-using-microsoft-authenticator/b666c282-b8d1-4185-a483-4f714edf40ce
  4. Windows 10 log in using Microsoft Authenticator

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Microsoft Authenticator is asking me to authenticate using Microsoft Authenticator to use...

Microsoft Authenticator is asking me to authenticate using Microsoft Authenticator to use...: So first of all... Why is "microsoft Authenticator" not an option in the "Products" dropdown when choosing where this post should go? I'm just going to choose "Windows"... Sorry not sorry.Also, I can't take a screenshot on the microsoft Authenticator app without it capturing...
  6. Microsoft Authenticator is asking me to authenticate using Microsoft Authenticator to use...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Authenticator is asking me to authenticate using Microsoft Authenticator to use...: So first of all... Why is "microsoft Authenticator" not an option in the "Products" dropdown when choosing where this post should go? I'm just going to choose "Windows"... Sorry not sorry.Also, I can't take a screenshot on the microsoft Authenticator app without it capturing...
  7. authenticator is asking me to authenticate using authenticator to use authenticator

authenticator is asking me to authenticate using authenticator to use authenticator: So first of all... Why is "microsoft Authenticator" not an option in the "Products" dropdown when choosing where this post should go? I'm just going to choose "Windows"... Sorry not sorry.Also, I can't take a screenshot on the microsoft Authenticator app without it capturing...
  8. authenticator is asking me to authenticate using authenticator to use authenticator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    authenticator is asking me to authenticate using authenticator to use authenticator: So first of all... Why is "Microsoft Authenticator" not an option in the "Products" dropdown when choosing where this post should go? I'm just going to choose "Windows"... Sorry not sorry.Also, I can't take a screenshot on the Microsoft Authenticator app without it capturing...
  9. authentication 802.1x login not showing Windows 10

authentication 802.1x login not showing Windows 10: Hello,We have a peculiar problem with one of our PC running windows 10 up to date. To access the network we need to authenticate through 802.1x authentication, but since we came back this year, that PC just never show the login windows to actually change the parameters.. I...
  10. Use Microsoft Authenticator plus password for login

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Use Microsoft Authenticator plus password for login: Hi,I am using the Microsoft Authenticator for several services, incl. login into my Microsoft account. When I log into Microsoft, I enter my email address and then accept the login on the Authenticator.I want a different behavior: I would like to enter my email address, then...