Windows 10: Using my laptop, additional monitor, and virtual desktop.

Discus and support Using my laptop, additional monitor, and virtual desktop. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I apologize if this has been asked. I've scoured for the answer and either can't find it or my situation is a bit different. I use my laptop and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by c1aguy, Sep 24, 2019.

1. c1aguy Win User

Using my laptop, additional monitor, and virtual desktop.

I apologize if this has been asked. I've scoured for the answer and either can't find it or my situation is a bit different.

I use my laptop and monitor a bit different than what I have seen online. My monitor is large so I don't really need it to be side by side with my laptop. Rather, my monitor is behind my laptop. I like to either watch a soccer game on my laptop monitor or have an excel sheet with my work in it so I can continually update it while working on the other monitor. I have the 'extend these displays' function turned on.

The problem I have is that I also use multiple virtual desktops to keep my work separated and organized. This is mostly done on the additional monitor. When I need to work on a different virtual desktop on my additional monitor and I switch to it, my laptop screen also switches and I can't view the content on my laptop monitor until I switch back.

Is there any way to either lock the laptop display so it doesn't switch when I switch to a different virtual desktop on my additional monitor or have the content on my laptop display switch as well so I can keep viewing it.

Sorry if this sounds a bit rambling but I hope it makes sense.

Thanks for any help!

:)

c1aguy, Sep 24, 2019
  2. LKNY Win User

Multiple Monitors and Virtual Desktops in Windows 10

Often I'm using an extra monitor when working on my computer with Windows 10. I like to put on Netflix or some other form of video on the additional monitor. However, when I'm switching between virtual desktops, the Netflix window travels with the desktop
    it was originally associated with, causing me to have to pause my workflow to manually move it with me.

Is there any way to get a window to switch virtual desktops with me? Or better yet, a way to make the extra monitor have a virtual desktop all of it's own that can function when I switch between desktops on my primary screen?

Any suggestions appreciated.

3. Mala_S Win User
    virtual desktop as multiple monitor

Hello Dan,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Virtual desktops lets you create multiple, separate desktops that each can display different open windows and apps. Multiple desktops are great for quickly switching desktops. The idea of having multiple virtual desktops is being able to order programs
    according to a set of tasks.

PC can’t have different virtual desktop on each monitor. However, we can
    configure the taskbar for multiple displays to send windows from one monitor to another. We can customize Windows to have a taskbar shown on only one display, and a different taskbar on the other display. To do that, follow the below mentioned
    steps.

• Right click on the taskbar and select
      Taskbar Settings
    • Scroll down to Multiple displays section and choose
      Taskbar where window is open under Show taskbar buttons on option.

By choosing that particular option in Settings, you can set its independent taskbar in addition to your primary display. Only the open windows are shown on the taskbar in that particular display.

As a workaround, we can create a new profile to switch your main display to another. By doing that, you can switch between profiles which will be having different displays in it.
    To do that, follow the below mentioned steps.

• Right click anywhere on the desktop and select Graphics properties > Select
      Display > make changes to change your main displays > click on
      Save profile
      > assign a name to it.
    • You can create multiple profiles to make different monitors as main displays each time.
    • To apply the profile, right click anywhere on the
      desktop and select Graphics Options > Profiles > in there you can select the new account which you have created to switch the display.

Hope it helps.

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Sep 24, 2019
  4. Yash Pal Win User

Additional Virtual desktops

I cannot activate any additional virtual desktop. Laptop was bought about 2 months back. ASUS, with intel core i5 8th gen processor, 8 GB RAM. When I activate task view symbol at bottom left of the screen, no additional desktop is seen anywhere on the screen.

Is there any way to activate additional desktops.

Please move the question to correct topic if posted under wrong topic.

Thanks

Yash Pal, Sep 24, 2019
Thema:

1. Using my laptop, additional monitor, and virtual desktop. - Similar Threads - Using laptop additional

2. How to connect two additional monitors to a laptop using an HDMI splitter?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to connect two additional monitors to a laptop using an HDMI splitter?: I have two monitors plugged into an HDMI splitter, which is plugged into my work laptop. Although both monitors are connected, the laptop will only detect one at a time. Each monitor works if it is the only monitor connected, but when both monitors are connected, only one...
  3. trying to use my Desktop as a monitor for my Laptop but it’s not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    trying to use my Desktop as a monitor for my Laptop but it’s not working: l am trying to use my Dell Desktop Inspiron 2350 All-in-one desktop as a Monitor for my Acer Laptop. I bought the correct HDMI cable and the shop owner told me to connect the cable with my laptop HDMI OUT port andexternal display HDMI IN port.I told him it didn't work and he...
  4. trying to use my Desktop as a monitor for my Laptop but it’s not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    trying to use my Desktop as a monitor for my Laptop but it’s not working: l am trying to use my Dell Desktop Inspiron 2350 All-in-one desktop as a Monitor for my Acer Laptop. I bought the correct HDMI cable and the shop owner told me to connect the cable with my laptop HDMI OUT port andexternal display HDMI IN port.I told him it didn't work and he...
  5. Virtual desktops on two monitors

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Virtual desktops on two monitors: Is there a way to isolate workspaces among two displays. When I switch desktop on one screen, the desktop switches on the second screen also. How can I change this? submitted by /u/mithunvinayagamop3t [link] [comments]...
  6. additional monitors

in Windows 10 Customization
    additional monitors: HI I have 2 additional monitors plugged into my laptop, but it is only seeing 1 of them. How can I fix this please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/additional-monitors/45fba952-d375-4eab-a7dc-227270d48c97
  7. virtual desktop as multiple monitor

virtual desktop as multiple monitor: Hi, my workspace use 6 display monitor from 1 PC - 1 monitor for main PC display - 5 monitor for business-related display (opening browser on different pages) - 1 PC (i5 7th gen, windows 10 pro) Those 5 displays are extended via HDMI splitter. My problem is moving...
  8. Additional Virtual desktops

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Additional Virtual desktops: I cannot activate any additional virtual desktop. Laptop was bought about 2 months back. ASUS, with intel core i5 8th gen processor, 8 GB RAM. When I activate task view symbol at bottom left of the screen, no additional desktop is seen anywhere on the screen. Is there any...
  9. Cannot open additional virtual desktops

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot open additional virtual desktops: OS Windows 10 - I cannot enable a new virtual desktop. After opening windows, when I click on taskview, the existing file is is seen as a preview (small size) along with any other files opened earlier. But there is no dialogue like ‘add new desktop’ either at right hand...
  10. Setting up an additional monitor to laptop

Setting up an additional monitor to laptop: I am attempting to set up an additional monitor to my laptop for work so I can see two different screens at once. I hooked the new monitor up via an HDMI cord to the laptop, went to display in settings but it won't let me change anything. It keeps showing me the same thing...