Windows 10: Using my Windows 10 product key on a new hard drive

Discus and support Using my Windows 10 product key on a new hard drive in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have a PC that was originally upgraded from windows 8 to windows 10. I have the original Windows 8 product key and since I was too late in up grading... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by lbelardinelli, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Using my Windows 10 product key on a new hard drive

I have a PC that was originally upgraded from windows 8 to windows 10. I have the original Windows 8 product key and since I was too late in up grading to windows 10, I had to BUY a copy of Windows 10 which I did thru Microsoft. Recently, my hard drive died and I had to replace it. Since it died, I could NOT deactivate the copy of Windows 10. HOWEVER, I did make a system image of my windows 10 computer and my intention was to use it to reinstall the copy of Windows 10, I purchased from Microsoft.

Upon trying to reimage the system, I was given an error that said I had to reinstall my Windows 8 FIRST...which I did using my windows 8 product key. After installing windows 8, I proceeded to use a ISO image of windows 10 to upgrade the window 8 to windows 10. I fully expected that during the upgrade process, it would ask for my windows 10 product key. To my surprise.....IT DID NOT ASK FOR THE WINDOWS 10 PRODUCT KEY.

I tried repeadily to find a way to enter my windows 10 product 10 but could not find a way to do it!

What happened? What should I do next????

:)

lbelardinelli, Sep 4, 2019

2. Reinstall Windows 10 to new hard drive

Hi Rodolpho,

We want to know about the issue you're having with your recovery drive. Please answer the questions below:

• Are you trying to reinstall Windows 8 or Windows 10?
    • If you already upgraded to Windows 10, were you able to create a new copy of the recovery drive?

We suggest creating a new copy of the recovery drive and then follow the steps provided by Andre Da Costa above this thread.

Update us with the outcome so we can assist you further.

Robert Caw, Sep 4, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 4, 2019
  4. Using my Windows 10 product key on a new hard drive

If you gets a new hard drive for your PC if you already installed Windows 10 on the old hard drive, is a product required key to install the windows 10 ISO DVD on the new hard drive?

If you gets a new hard drive for your PC if the old old crashes if you already installed Windows 10 on the old hard drive, will we have to have a product key to install the windows 10 ISO DVD on the new hard drive?

ThomasWoolum_1830, Sep 4, 2019
Thema:

Using my Windows 10 product key on a new hard drive

1. Using my Windows 10 product key on a new hard drive - Similar Threads - Using product key

2. How can I activate Windows 8.1 on a new Hard Drive using BIOS embedded product key?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I activate Windows 8.1 on a new Hard Drive using BIOS embedded product key?: My Asus laptop Hard Drive crashed. I had to replace it. I have the product key from BIOS. After installing a new SSD HD, I created a bootable disc with Windows 8.1 and installed it on the new HD. The product key I have which is on the motherboard and embedded in BIOS does not...
  3. My old hard drive went bad and I need a new product key for my new rig.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My old hard drive went bad and I need a new product key for my new rig.: Upgraded to a new SSD and I can't get my old Windows Product Key for activation. Can you send my old one or send one https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-old-hard-drive-went-bad-and-i-need-a-new/1c2d114f-d7ec-443f-bcea-80dce9a4d90e
  4. My old hard drive went bad and I need a new product key for my new rig.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My old hard drive went bad and I need a new product key for my new rig.: Upgraded to a new SSD and I can't get my old Windows Product Key for activation. Can you send my old one or send one https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-old-hard-drive-went-bad-and-i-need-a-new/1c2d114f-d7ec-443f-bcea-80dce9a4d90e
  5. My old hard drive went bad and I need a new product key for my new rig.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  6. Can I use my genuine windows 10 with the same key in a new hard drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I use my genuine windows 10 with the same key in a new hard drive?: I want to upgrade from HDD to SSD. I am using an original pre-installed windows 10 laptop. I am going to reinstall windows 10 in SSD after upgrading. What I have to do if I need to use an activated windows 10 in my new SSD? Will it automatically detects if I reinstall windows...
  7. Download windows 10 to my new hard drive and reuse my product key

Download windows 10 to my new hard drive and reuse my product key: I have windows 10 Home and I need to replace my hard drive. I have tried making a recovery disc and it did not work. I get stuck on the 'please wait' screen and it never goes past that. I have tried to use startup repair and it has not worked. Can I download windows 10 from...
  8. Upgrading Hard drive, can I use my existing Product Key?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Upgrading Hard drive, can I use my existing Product Key?: Upgrading my hard drive to a larger unit and I was just wondering can I use the existing product key that can with the computer if I did a fresh install of windows 10? Haven't really messed around with this before just looking for some help before I get to far along....
  9. Reinstalling Windows 10 Pro on new hard drive originally with refurbishers product key

Reinstalling Windows 10 Pro on new hard drive originally with refurbishers product key: I have a laptop with a 320GB hdd that I just bought from an authorized microsoft refurbisher with a refurbisher windows 10 sticker and product key. It has been activated and is working fine. Except, I have decided to replace the hdd with an ssd to pick up some performance. My...
  10. product key used for new laptop

product key used for new laptop: I got a new laptop and using the same product key used for my previous one can the same key work on the new laptop or do I have to buy another subscription ? the last subscription was bought 4 days back and trying to disable on the older laptop...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. if i will change my hard drive can i use the same windows 10 product key in new windows 10