Windows 10: Using netsh wlan commands not working

Discus and support Using netsh wlan commands not working in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Someone else's network keeps popping up in my list of networks in the Windows 10 Action Center. I've used a cmd prompt and followed all instructions... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Nandilicious, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Using netsh wlan commands not working

Someone else's network keeps popping up in my list of networks in the Windows 10 Action Center. I've used a cmd prompt and followed all instructions for using "netsh wlan" commands to deny all (and then allow my own network to show, but the network I blocked still keeps popping up in my Action Center then quickly disappearing again. I know I used the proper "netsh" commands, because the command prompt said the network was successfully blocked. I don't understand why it keeps popping up in the list of networks in my Action Center. My own private network should be the only one I see there. Can you help?

:)

Nandilicious, Jan 4, 2017
  2. DaveM121 Win User

I entered the wrong WIFI Password on my Windows 10 Laptop, and I can't figure out how to re-enter the right password. Help Please!

Open a Command Prompt as Administrator, run this command:

netsh wlan show profiles

Identify the network you want to reset the password on, then run this command (replace
    Wi-Fi network name):

netsh wlan delete profile name="Wi-Fi network name"

If the above does not work, your only option is to delete all WiFi profiles and start again - run this command to delete all WiFi Profiles:

netsh wlan delete profile name=* i=*

DaveM121, Jan 4, 2017
  3. Hostednetwork: can connect to it but can't use internet

As the title describes i use cmd admin command:

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=Test key=Test1 keyUsage=persistent

netsh wlan stop hostednetwork

netsh wlan start hostednetwork

I connect to Hosted network with my Lumia 930...but there is no internet traffic

VukGligorijevic, Jan 4, 2017
  4. John Galt Win User

Using netsh wlan commands not working

It comes up in the list of available Wifi networks, or it comes up as a network you are currently connected with?

John Galt, Jan 5, 2017
  5. It comes up in the list of available WiFi networks but it isn't a network that I have ever connected to. I'm connected to my own private WiFi network and have never seen another network show up on the list until now. It has a padlock mark on it which, I think, means I couldn't use it anyway because it's password-protected. I don't want to use it. I just don't want to see it in my Action Center. As I said, I tried a netsh wlan command to block the network, and used another netsh wlan command that was meant to also hide blocked networks from the list, but this rogue network still shows up on the list in my Action Center. It shows up for about 10 seconds, then disappears. Confusing...In fact, it happened again just now...showed up on the list for a few seconds, then disappeared all of a sudden.

Nandilicious, Jan 5, 2017
  6. John Galt Win User
    Ahh, okay, I see. The list of available networks on that menu shows all Wifi networks that your system can see, whether you've connected to them or not, and whether they are yours or not. You can ignore that network.

If you are looking for the safest configuration possible, I suggest the following additional settings:

1. Disable Wi-FI sense - How to protect yourself against Windows 10’s controversial new Wi-Fi Sense feature – BGR
    2. Use NTLMv2 only - Security Watch: The Most Misunderstood Windows Security Setting of All Time
    3. Look through this site and maybe pickup a few more suggestions: Harden Windows 10 - A Security Guide. How to secure Windows 10

John Galt, Jan 5, 2017
  7. Thanx, John...I'm not using Wi-Fi Sense because it says I have to log in to a Microsoft account first, and I don't have a Microsoft account. I did check out the websites you suggested, but didn't understand most of what I was reading. On one of them, there were a lot of files that needed to be downloaded and I didn't want to go through all that. Anyway, I was told that I can see that rogue network but the way my network is set up, they can't get into it, so I guess I'm satisfied with that. I could get into their's if I really wanted to, because what I thought was a padlock was just an exclamation point (!) and if I do click on that network, it doesn't ask me for a password. Anyway, I'll still to my own private network. I never use public networks, not even in hotels or other places. I won't use the internet at all if the only available network is a public one.

Thank you for your suggestions. I think everything is okay now. Nandi

Nandilicious, Jan 5, 2017
  8. sml156 Win User

What commands are you using. From what it sounds like to me you are blacklisting WiFi SSID's when you should actually be Whitelisting them.

It's late where I live and i'm going to bed and don't feel like searching TenForums but I think their is a tutorial from Brink on how to do this --- or search my post's I think I answered a question on how to do this. Or search TenForums with your command maybe faster.

One more thing if some user answer's this thread and says your going break the internet by blocking SSID's don't believe them.

sml156, Jan 6, 2017
  9. To block unwanted networks, I went to the command prompt and entered the following:
    netsh wlan add filter permission=denyall networktype=infrastructure

To hide that network, I entered:
    netsh wlan set blockednetworks display=hide

To allow my own network to show on the list, I entered:
    netsh wlan add filter permission=allow ssid=(my ssid) networktype=infrastructure

This worked for a while, but then that other network started popping up in my list of networks and disappearing after a few seconds. I even went back to the command prompt to see if it was in my list of blocked networks (it was) and to see if it was hidden (and it was). But this morning, it showed up again in the list of available network in my Action Center then disappeared again.

Nandilicious, Jan 6, 2017
  10. sml156 Win User
    Glad to see you figured it out and marked it resolved, When I woke up this morning I realized that I have not use these commands for a couple of years and wondered if they still work. Even though you resolved it i'm figured I might as well post my results.

It's a boring Saturday so I decided to document what I would do to accomplish what I think you are trying to do.

Before I start I looked at the WiFi networks I was receiving and the total was 9 and one of those belonged to me.
    Note:For Privacy reasons I will not show the 8 WiFi networks that do not belong to me that are near me.

1:
    I wanted to make sure I am starting from a clean state and have no filters enabled.
    Code: netsh wlan show filters[/quote]
    Using netsh wlan commands not working [​IMG]

I had no filters but if i did i would of deleted them first:
    Delete Allow list filters
    Code: netsh wlan delete filter permission=allow ssid="WLAN name" networktype=infrastructure[/quote] Delete Block list filters
    Code: netsh wlan delete filter permission=block ssid="WLAN name" networktype=infrastructure[/quote]
    2:
    Next I blocked every SSID:
    Code: netsh wlan add filter permission=denyall networktype=infrastructure[/quote]

As I expected when I clicked on my network icon in the lower right hand side of the screen there were no WiFi networks displayed.

3:
    Now that I got what I wanted I’m going to add my WiFi router.
    Code: netsh wlan add filter permission=allow ssid="Bad Robot" networktype=infrastructure[/quote]

As expected now when I click on my network icon in the lower right hand side of the screen only my WiFi is visible.

Although in theory the way you did it should work the same as the way I did it I would try my way and see if works the way you expect.

sml156, Jan 7, 2017
  11. Thanx for showing me what you did. I did do the denyall command, and checked to see if my network was on the list (it wasn't), then I "allowed" my own network back in and it was the only one listed. Problem is, that other network still pops up for a few seconds and goes away, even though I went into a command prompt (as admin) and blocked it, then set it to "hide" it so it shouldn't show up in my list of networks. It's kinda strange, but I'm getting used to it...and as long as know the person has no access to my computer, I can relax. Thanx anyway. Nandi

I had no filters but if i did i would of deleted them first:
    Delete Allow list filters
    Code: netsh wlan delete filter permission=allow ssid="WLAN name" networktype=infrastructure[/quote] Delete Block list filters
    Code: netsh wlan delete filter permission=block ssid="WLAN name" networktype=infrastructure[/quote]
    2:
    Next I blocked every SSID:
    Code: netsh wlan add filter permission=denyall networktype=infrastructure[/quote]

As I expected when I clicked on my network icon in the lower right hand side of the screen there were no WiFi networks displayed.

3:
    Now that I got what I wanted I’m going to add my WiFi router.
    Code: netsh wlan add filter permission=allow ssid="Bad Robot" networktype=infrastructure[/quote]

As expected now when I click on my network icon in the lower right hand side of the screen only my WiFi is visible.

Although in theory the way you did it should work the same as the way I did it I would try my way and see if works the way you expect.[/quote]

Nandilicious, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Using netsh wlan commands not working - Similar Threads - Using netsh wlan

2. I am getting error in running command "netsh wlan start hostednetwork" ......

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I am getting error in running command "netsh wlan start hostednetwork" ......: when I run command it gives error -->> [The hosted network couldn't be started. The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation.]But it can be enabled from setting:My problem is that , mobile hotspot can only be ON if the system is...
  3. I am getting error in running command "netsh wlan start hostednetwork" ......

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I am getting error in running command "netsh wlan start hostednetwork" ......: when I run command it gives error -->> [The hosted network couldn't be started. The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation.]But it can be enabled from setting:My problem is that , mobile hotspot can only be ON if the system is...
  4. netsh wlan set autoconfig enabled=no I used that command and now I can’t turn it back on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    netsh wlan set autoconfig enabled=no I used that command and now I can’t turn it back on: Help please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/netsh-wlan-set-autoconfig-enabledno-i-used-that/a2322162-715e-4210-b7b6-c517caaea243
  5. How to remove blocked filter using netsh wlan command?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove blocked filter using netsh wlan command?: Hi,I enter ssid using netsh wlan command, but made mistake to enter the command with quote sign ""netsh wlan add filter permission=block ssid="ssid1" networktype=infrastructureBlock list on the system user ------------------------------- SSID: ""ssid1"", Type: Infrastructure...
  6. How to remove blocked filter using netsh wlan command?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove blocked filter using netsh wlan command?: Hi,I enter ssid using netsh wlan command, but made mistake to enter the command with quote sign ""netsh wlan add filter permission=block ssid="ssid1" networktype=infrastructureBlock list on the system user ------------------------------- SSID: ""ssid1"", Type: Infrastructure...
  7. NETSH command

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    NETSH command: Playing around with the command as a utility to troubleshoot connectivity issues. Running this command gives a bunch of great info but I would like to have it save the html file to a specific path. Can't find info on doing that . Does anyone know ? netsh wlan show...
  8. Netsh WLAN command

Netsh WLAN command: I just discovered the NETSH utility. Ran netsh wlan show all on my new desktop PC to see which router wifi channels are being used by other visible networks in my neighborhood. To my astonishment it listed every wifi network profile at least 100, mostly hotels I have...
  9. Hotspot (netsh wlan start hostednetwork)

Hotspot (netsh wlan start hostednetwork): Trying to share my Windows 10 Lenovo laptop's internet connection through the cmd via netsh wlan start hostednetwork. To enter set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid="ssid" pass="pass," 运行命令: 'netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=ssidName key=your8characterPassword'...
  10. Hotspot (netsh wlan start hostednetwork)

Hotspot (netsh wlan start hostednetwork): I am trying to share my Windows 10 Lenovo laptop's internet connection through the cmd via netsh wlan start hostednetwork. I already know you first have to enter set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid="ssid" pass="pass," but then when I enter netsh wlan start hostednetwork, I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what to do if cmd wont allos u to use netsh wlan