Windows 10: Using Nikon Coolscan with Windows 10

Discus and support Using Nikon Coolscan with Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Thanks to a very informative post in Windows SevenForum (http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/4...rk-w7-x64.html) I have been using my Coolscan with win7... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by blumesan, Aug 25, 2015.

1. blumesan Win User

Using Nikon Coolscan with Windows 10

Thanks to a very informative post in Windows SevenForum (http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/4...rk-w7-x64.html) I have been using my Coolscan with win7 for the past 5 years without problems.

I am now about to switch OS to Win-10. Does anyone have any experience what happens with this switch? Will the old driver (as modified) still function?

:)

blumesan, Aug 25, 2015

2. Need Nikon scanner driver.

I need a scanner driver for a Nikon Coolscan IV ED (LS-40), that will work on Windows 10. Thank you for any help you can give me.

JohnHassig, Aug 25, 2015
  3. Nikon Scan LS-50 ED Windows 10 drivers for Coolscan V ED film scanner?

I have managed to install Nikon Scan for my Coolscan V ED film scanner in Windows 10 but I need a driver for this scanner. It is LS-50 ED. How do I proceed ?

Old title: Nikon scan- ls-50 ed driver.

Johnkoomuksan, Aug 25, 2015
  4. Using Nikon Coolscan with Windows 10

Did you ever find a solution to using a Nikon scanner with Win 10? I need to do the same thing. Been running under Win 7 with no problems but need to switch to Win 10.

LarryMeece, Nov 23, 2015
  5. blumesan Win User
    No answer yet because I am unable to install Win-10 on my computer. The motherboard (bios?) lacks the required drivers. The manufacturer reports that they are working on the problem.

blumesan, Nov 23, 2015
  6. Please let me know if you come up with a solution to the Nikon scanner / Win 10 problem.

LarryMeece, Nov 24, 2015
  7. Dasalias Win User
    I have managed to get my Nikon Coolscan LS-40 working on Windows 10 using the Windows 7 driver solution *chuckle. Did you ever reach a positive solution? If not I'll post the procedure.

Dasalias, Jan 21, 2016
  8. Using Nikon Coolscan with Windows 10

I have not been able to get my Nikon 9000 scanner to work on Win 10 yet. Do you think the procedure you used for your LS-40 would work for the 9000? If so, please post the procedure and I'll give it a try and let you know. Thanks!

LarryMeece, Jan 21, 2016
  9. Dasalias Win User
    This procedure assumes that your scanner was working with the Windows 7 driver created with the help of Windows Sevenforum (Getting your Nikon Coolscan to work on W7 x64 - Windows 7 Help Forums) and you still have access to the Win 7 driver previously used.

1. Click the start button (lower left corner), then select Settings.
    2. Select Update & Security.
    3. Choose Recovery from the menu.
    4. Select Advanced Startup - Restart Now
    5. Select Troubleshoot.
    6. Select Advanced Options.
    7. Select Startup Settings.
    8. Select Restart.
    9. Select Option 7 (Disable driver signature enforcement).
    10. Connect Scanner
    11. Click start button, then select Settings.
    12. Select Devices.
    13. Scroll down & select Related Settings.
    14. Select Devices & Printers.
    15. Locate your scanner, right click & select Properties.
    16. Select the Hardware tab & select Properties.
    17. Select Change Settings.
    18. Select the Driver tab & select Update Driver.
    19. Select Browse my computer for driver software.
    20. Browse to the folder where you stored the Windows 7 driver.
    21. Click Next and the PC should locate the driver and install it.

The scanner should now work. If your 9000 scanner worked with the Windows 7 Driver, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work with Windows 10 after following the above procedure. Good luck.

Dasalias, Jan 21, 2016
  10. Ilan10 Win User
    I have been using the scanner on Win7 using the scanner INF and it also worked when I upgraded to Win 10.
    Recently the scanner stopped working
    On the device manager I see:

Using Nikon Coolscan with Windows 10 [​IMG]

When I try to use the INF file I get:

Using Nikon Coolscan with Windows 10 [​IMG]

and the properties inform that the device is not connected

It seems that I need a new INF file.
    can someone update it.
    TIA
    Ilan

Ilan10, Mar 25, 2017
  11. bobkn Win User
    Official Nikon support for that scanner ended with Windows Vista.

This isn't free, but consider:

Nikon CoolScan 4000 ED Driver and Software | VueScan

You can download a free trial to see whether it works for you. I'm not sure, but the Vuescan drivers may support other software as well.

bobkn, Mar 25, 2017
  12. Ilan10 Win User
    Thanks, it works.
    The first law of problem solving is that when you know a solution exists, the problem is 90% solved.
    I installed VueScan a while ago, and it did not work.
    Following your suggestion I persisted, and voila it works beautifully.

Ilan10, Mar 26, 2017
  13. louden00 Win User

This is a very long shot but I am hoping that someone might be able to help me out.

The scanner I am messing with really belongs to my brother who has lent it to me to try and scan my 10 carousels of old slides. (I am really just planning on picking out my favorite ones - not all 1,400 slides.) My brother warned me that I might have trouble with drivers. Ahem...

I've tried so many things to get this scanner working over the past few weeks that my head is spinning (though it may also be that I am just getting over the flu). But, first, here's where I stand now:

The device and firewire controller both appear to be working correctly according to device manager. (Can't figure out how to paste images here.)
    IEEE 1394 host controllers > 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)
    Imaging Devices > Nikon SUPER COOLSCAN 4000 ED

Alas, Nikon Scan 4.0 shows: "Nikon Scan was unable to find any active devices"

In past experiments, I've had very-limited success in getting both Nikon Scan 4 and Vuescan to see the scanner and even create scans of slides before ending back up with the above message.

In spite of many years of IT experience, I am not enough of a Windows hack to be able to do the same thing twice and get the same results (very frustrating). It seems that, even if I try to "uninstall" everything (drivers, software, etc), I don't think that Windows actually clears it all out.

I have been from one end of the Internet to the other finding and trying different "solutions". My attempts have included:
    • Trying to follow the instructions to the letter on: "Getting your Nikon Coolscan to work on W7 x64" (That trick got me the closest to getting the scanner to work - at least for a few minutes - with Nikon Scan.)
    • Various compatibility combinations for Nikon Scan.exe (Interestingly, Windows seems to remember those settings even after uninstalling and reinstalling Nikon Scan!)
    • VueScan gets the same message, though it has found and been able to drive the scanner for a short time. (Heck, I'd be willing to pay the Vuescan license if it worked reliably.)
    • I was going to set up a VirtualBox and run WinXP until I figured out that VirtualBox doesn't support guest connectivity to Firewire interfaces. Ahem...
    • I also found a place that suggested installing the "Legacy" driver for my Firewire controller. Hence, the "IEEE 1394 host controllers > 1394 HOCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)"

I've tried a lot of stuff that I just can't remember just now. It is particularly frustrating, though, that I can't seem to do the same thing twice.

Things I haven't tried yet include:
    • Finding, downloading, and installing Nikon Scan 3 software instead of Scan 4. Does anyone think that might help?
    • I have an old computer sitting in another room that I am thinking about installing Win XP onto (the scanner box still has the old XP drivers).

I am just reaching out in hopes that someone may have some other ideas I could try.

Thanks, in advance, for any help you can provide.

Regards,

Bob

louden00, Jan 28, 2018
  14. Steve C Win User
    You could install a dual boot Windows 7 / Windows 10 system with a small Windows 7 disk space just to control the scanner. You could also try installing a Windows 7 VM within Windows 10 but controlling hardware from the VM may be difficult.

Steve C, Jan 29, 2018
  15. louden00 Win User
    Thanks, Steve, The dual boot idea is a good one. I had thought about that already - just failed to mention it as yet another option. I just thought I'd first try the old PC in the other room (it was an old "Media Center" PC before the days of smart TVs). I need to look it over one last time before I get rid of it anyway. Why not try to use it with the scanner? Anyway, I've got an old WinXP Pro install disk and, since the drivers that originally came with the scanner were for XP, it seems like a good place to start.

Your second idea, a VM, is where I was going with VirtualBox. Alas, after installing VB, I discovered that it did not support Firewire (1394) interfaces. Then I tried to figure if ANY hypervisor (Hyper-V, even VMware) supports Firewire interfaces to the guest OS but was less than comfortable that any of them would work for what I am trying to do.

Bob

louden00, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Using Nikon Coolscan with Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Using Nikon Coolscan

2. Nikon D7500 not appearing on Windows when using USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Nikon D7500 not appearing on Windows when using USB: My Nikon D7500 is not appearing on my PC when connected with USB. There is no notification of it being available and it does not appear on the device manager. My Windows is up to date, as is the camera's firmware. I do not have any 3rd party antivirus software installed. I...
  3. Nikon CoolScan IV ED and Windows 10

Nikon CoolScan IV ED and Windows 10: Previously I have been able to interface this scanner with Windows 7 Pro and Windows 8.1 using the driver provided online by Steel Chn. Windows 10 as a native install on a new computer (HP Envy) is another matter altogether. In addition to the driver provided by Steel...
  4. Nikon Camera

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Nikon Camera: I recently purchased a new computer with Window 10. I connected my Nikon camera to download pictures I have taken and keeps saying I don't have permission. My account that I sign into is an administrator account. I'm at a total loss for what is happening here. I can see it...
  5. Nikon Coolscan 4000ED Causes BSOD When Powered On

Nikon Coolscan 4000ED Causes BSOD When Powered On: I have a rather serious problem with Windows 10 Pro that I did not have with Windows 7 Pro... when I power on my Nikon slide scanner, Windows abruptly halts and I lose all my work. This happened the first time I hooked it up, even before I installed drivers and software for...
  6. Nikon D3400

Nikon D3400: When i plug my Nikon D3400 into my laptop it does not do anything. It used to prompt the questions to start the download of the pictures but now it does not act like it sees anything at all. It does not show it as a USB connection or anything.... Thanks in advance for the...
  7. Nikon camera's

Nikon camera's: Hi A few weeks ago, I upgraded to Windows 10 and when I connected my Nikon D500 everything went exactly as I would have expected. Now when I plug the camera in it finds the most recent pictures and will then ask me if I want to download them. Last night I connected a...
  8. nikon coolscan 4000

nikon coolscan 4000: Cannot get win 10 pro 64 to recognize the coolscann 4000 (CS). When I look up printers & scanners and turn on the CS, the CS shows up, but it just says dealt. I have tried Nikon software and vuescan but neither recognize the CS. Is there any Microsoft solution to recognize...
  9. windows 10 and nikon d7100

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 10 and nikon d7100: ok... last night i finnally updated my computer from win8.1 to 10. im in the middle of taking pictures for my website... for the past 6 months or so i would take about 200 or more pictures a week. last night i finnally reached 10k. It created a new folder and started...
  10. Nikon D50

Nikon D50: Hi Anyone have any clues how to make my Nikon D50 camera work on Windows 10? It worked fine on XP and 7, but not at all since upgrading to 10. The windows 10 help page has a link to Nikon, but the D50 driver is not available from there. 20091

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nikon coolscan v windows 10

2. coolscan v ed windows 10

3. coolscan 5000ED on windows 10

4. nikon coolscan stopped working after windows 19 update,
  5. nikon coolscan 4 win 10,
  6. install coolscan ls-2000 win10,
  7. unable to load updated driver for nikon cooscan iv,
  8. windows 10 and coolscan V,
  9. nikon coolscan iv windows 10,
  10. coolsacn V ed windows 10,
  11. nikon coolscan v ed driver for windows 10,