Windows 10: using old hard drives

Discus and support using old hard drives in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have two 500 gb ssd's on my old pc that I used for file storage and games. Can I take those out of my old pc and hook them up in my new pc?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RodSharp1, Mar 12, 2020.

1. RodSharp1 Win User

using old hard drives

I have two 500 gb ssd's on my old pc that I used for file storage and games. Can I take those out of my old pc and hook them up in my new pc?

:)

RodSharp1, Mar 12, 2020

2. Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Mar 12, 2020
  3. xarzu Win User
    new system old hard drive...

I have an old hard drive that has those old ribbon connections to transfer data to the mother board.

I have a new computer that mostly uses those cool little ATA (I think that is what they are called) connections.

The new computer has a Vista OS.

I opened up the case and I was supprised to see on the motherboard a wide ribbon connection and so I connected the old hard drive and a free power connection.

When I turned on the computer, the system started up like usual and did not notice the new hard drive.

I went to the Control Pannel and did an automatic add hard drive call and it did not find the old hard drive.

Any suggestions?

xarzu, Mar 12, 2020
  4. GlynParry Win User

using old hard drives

Old Hard drive to new hard drive

I now have my old hard drive converted to an external drive and am wondering what is the best way to move files from the old to the new. I was thinking of booting the old drive and saving the files I want to the cloud and then downloading them to my new
    computer. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

GlynParry, Mar 12, 2020
Thema:

using old hard drives

1. using old hard drives - Similar Threads - using old hard

2. use hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    use hard drive: Can I have a tip about this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/use-hard-drive/4f08d628-fcab-48df-bb26-6d95ba6925b2
  3. use hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    use hard drive: Can I have a tip about this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/use-hard-drive/4f08d628-fcab-48df-bb26-6d95ba6925b2
  4. Boot using old hard drive to recover files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Boot using old hard drive to recover files: Hi guys,I have an ACER Aspire E1-572G Laptop.It is installed with Original windows 8.1 and was upgraded to W10 Home.Recently i sent the laptop for repair.So, the tech take out my 1 TB HDD untouched and put new 250 GB SSD and install new windows in it.Afterwards i personally...
  5. Trying to recover an old hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trying to recover an old hard drive: Stuck in a bit of a bind. I have an old hard-drive on windows 7, but trying to get it back up and running. My laptop gives me a boot error, so I'm trying to install windows 10, but keep the current partitions for retaining files. When installing from USB, it gets stuck on...
  6. old hard drive and a new computer

old hard drive and a new computer: I have what I think is a basic question, but I'm not sure. I just bought a new computer. It has not yet arrived. When it does, I want to put my old SSD into the new computer because it has my programs, files, etc. My issue is that the old SSD has Windows 10 installed on...
  7. Essue of Hard drive replcement with old laptop's hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Essue of Hard drive replcement with old laptop's hard drive: I have replced my laptop's hard drive with the hard drive of my old laptope. I tried to reinstall window from a dvd but my laptope show error that.. "you are using a already runing hard drive so window can not be install and i may not work on this pc.. Please insert back...
  8. format old hard drive

format old hard drive: Do i have to format old hard drive to install windows 10 from cd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/format-old-hard-drive/78cd15c3-9d15-41fe-b88a-590b61a502ec
  9. Accessing an old hard drive with an old version of Windows on it.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Accessing an old hard drive with an old version of Windows on it.: I am running Windows 10 964 BIT) I want to access the data on an old hard drive that still has an old version of windows on it. (I have a docking facility.) How do I do that without the two operating systems conflicting?...
  10. How to wipe old hard drive for secondary use

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to wipe old hard drive for secondary use: I built a new computer recently, and would like additional storage on it, so I want to use the old hard drive from my former build as a secondary drive. I already know it's compatible and how to install it. My question is: How can I wipe it completely so it's starting from...