Windows 10: Using old SSD for backups

Discus and support Using old SSD for backups in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Not a question, just wanted to share. I bought a Samsung 860 Evo a few months ago and have been using it since (thanks to those who helped with that).... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by OldGuyFromCdn, May 6, 2021.

1. Using old SSD for backups

Not a question, just wanted to share. I bought a Samsung 860 Evo a few months ago and have been using it since (thanks to those who helped with that). I kept my old SSD and recently purchased an enclosure for it. Previously I had been imaging to a 10 year old HDD. Images took between 10-12 mins. Using my repurposed SSD it's down to 2-3 mins. What a difference !

:)

OldGuyFromCdn, May 6, 2021
  2. topgundcp Win User

Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

@SamHobbs
    What you want done is very simple and can be done in short period of time. Here's my suggestion:
    There's 2 modes that Windows can be installed: UEFI and the old legacy MBR. Open Disk Management, look at the disk where your C drive is, if there's a
    1. EFI System Partition, your Windows was installed using UEFI.
    2. System Reserved partition, your Windows was installed using MBR
    Next, Connect your SSD to an available Sata port (no need to format or do anything). Download: Macrium Reflect Free . Install and run. Follow the steps below:
    1. From Macrium, click on image this disk under your C drive and save it to either an Internal or External Drive. This will create a single backup image of the whole disk containing your C drive.
    2. Again, from Macrium, click on Restore tab and select the image created from step 1, Select your SSD as the destination drive, click Next->Finish
    3. Exit Macrium. If your Windows was installed using MBR, Open disk management and make sure the SSD is marked "Active" else go to next step.
    4. Shutdown your PC. Disconnect the HD containing Windows C drive then connect your SSD to it.
    5. Reboot. Your PC should boot and the Windows should have C as the drive letter.

NOTE: The procedure above is to backup your Windows to an image file then copy it back to the SSD. This ensures proper cluster size aligment for the SSD. In addition, Macrium also perform Trimming for the SSD. This is more preferable than cloning.

topgundcp, May 6, 2021
  3. New windows 10 installtion on New SSD - wont boot unless old SSD present

It seems you installed Windows while the both SSDs were connected. This would have caused your current problem. Maybe it is sufficient to do this:

1. Launch the Disk Manager.
    2. Right-click drive C:, then mark it as "active".
    3. Shut down Windows
    4. Open the BIOS and tell it that the new SSD is the primary boot device.
    5. Disconnect the old SSD.
    6. Boot up normally.

If this does not work then you might have to do this:

1. Disconnect the old SSD.
    2. Re-install Windows on the new SSD, using the Media Creation Tool.

Frederik Long, May 6, 2021
  4. Using old SSD for backups

old email addresses

Thank you for updating me HA.111

Here is the step to remove that old email address.

Start typing an email address into the “To” field. As soon as you see the old email address being recommended as one of the potential candidates, use the down arrow key to scroll through the list of suggestions. Once you highlight the old email address, type the delete key. In many cases, this will actually remove the entry not only from the current list of suggestions but from future suggestions as well. You may even find that as you mouse over the drop-down list the highlighted item will have an “x” to explicitly allow you to delete it.

Just do this step and your good to go.

Continue to have an escellent day HA.111

Best regards,

Anthony C. De Jesus

Independent Advisor

Anthony1129, May 6, 2021
Thema:

Using old SSD for backups

1. Using old SSD for backups - Similar Threads - Using old SSD

2. Do I need to backup my old ssd to still have windows on my new ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do I need to backup my old ssd to still have windows on my new ssd: I am planning on upgrading my m.2 ssd from 512gb to 1000gb and if I install the new ssd without backing up will I still have windows? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/do-i-need-to-backup-my-old-ssd-to-still-have/d70a7ecc-554f-4da3-9271-bf5c8e8da0bf
  3. Do I need to backup my old ssd to still have windows on my new ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Do I need to backup my old ssd to still have windows on my new ssd: I am planning on upgrading my m.2 ssd from 512gb to 1000gb and if I install the new ssd without backing up will I still have windows? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/do-i-need-to-backup-my-old-ssd-to-still-have/d70a7ecc-554f-4da3-9271-bf5c8e8da0bf
  4. old ssd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    old ssd: My Dell is dead got new Dell and saved old ssd. Got a ssd to usb cable and hooked it up and nothing happend . How do I get it to work? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/old-ssd/86599fdd-8f6f-44cb-9ad4-42f077eec063
  5. Using an old SSD with Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Using an old SSD with Windows 10?: I have Windows 10 installed in an M.2 boot drive that I installed several years ago. l'm experiencing freezes/crashes so am looking at doing a fresh install of Windows OR going back to the SSD I had before I installed the M.2 and started having problems, but I'm not sure...
  6. Use old data together with a new SSD?

Use old data together with a new SSD?: Hello, which is that I have now reinstalled Windows 10 on a new SSD. The data from the old SSD I still have on the old SSD (who would have thought it) and would like to use it, e.g. games or old memory in games. But there are no icons displayed but only folders....
  7. Restoring an old backup

Restoring an old backup: in 2009 I backed up my wife's data onto discs before she got rid of her laptop. I now want to restore the data to my Windows 10 laptop but cannot find any software. Any ideas please....
  8. Using An Old Laptop For Backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Using An Old Laptop For Backup: Hi, I'm looking for suggestions on the best way to re-purpose an old laptop as an external backup medium. Here is the current situation: 1. We have 4 Windows 10 laptops at home 2. I have an old (about 8 years) Windows 7 laptop What are the options to use the old laptop...
  9. Use for old SSD

Use for old SSD: I have a new computer coming with an SSD and HDD. I have an old 256GB SSD from the old system that is in good condition and I have an external box with a SATA/USB connection. Is there any good use for the old SSD? 109554
  10. Bunch of old HDD's - how to use as NAS backup

Bunch of old HDD's - how to use as NAS backup: Hi there If you have a few old HDD's available why not use these for backing up NAS etc. To do this IMO the best way is as follows : 1) Get say a 4 Bay (powered) HDD container with USB3 connector -- really cheap one with no built in RAID etc works really well. 2 Bay...