Windows 10: Using old windows 10 laptops as external monitors and my new one as well.

Discus and support Using old windows 10 laptops as external monitors and my new one as well. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; So My main laptop I always have with me is a windows 11 pro latitude 5300 2in1 and I'm looking for it to become more versatile. I wanna use it on trips... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Kristopher Guerra, Feb 25, 2024.

1. Using old windows 10 laptops as external monitors and my new one as well.

So My main laptop I always have with me is a windows 11 pro latitude 5300 2in1 and I'm looking for it to become more versatile. I wanna use it on trips as a external monitor for my switch and i have dongles and adaptors so it doesn't matter if the hardware allows it as i can circumnavigate this. basically I'm either asking if there is already a built in way to make my laptop a display as long as they have windows 11, or asking for this to become a feature eventually due to the versatility and usefulness of said suggestion. Sincerely, A nerdy gamer that loves windows.

:)

Kristopher Guerra, Feb 25, 2024

2. Laptop suddenly stopped recognizing the external monitor

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

To assist you better, I would like to ask if the laptop is unable to recognize only the external monitor or other external devices also.

I suggest you to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter by following the steps below:

• Click on the Start button, and type “Troubleshooting” on the search bar.
    • Click on “Hardware and Devices”.
    • A pop-up will appear, click on the “Next” button and your hardware troubleshooting will start.

Hope the information is helpful. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Feb 25, 2024
  3. External monitor "no input"; worked with old laptop and intermittently with new laptop

Hi,

Thank you for posting your concern on Microsoft Answer Community.

We need few information.

• What is the make and model number of the External monitor?
    • What is the connection type, HDMI cable/VGA cable?

We would suggest you to follow the methods mentioned below and let us know if that helps.

Method 1:

1. Make sure the computer has power. If the computer has turned off, it will not be transmitting a signal and cause the "no input signal" message.
    2. Verify that the monitor is properly connected in the back of the
      monitor, as well as to the back of the computer.
    3. Some newer monitors are capable of connecting to a computer using a VGA or DVI connector. For these types of monitors, the correct input selection needs to be used.
    4. Access the settings on the monitor using the buttons on the front or bottom edge of the monitor.
    5. Look for options to select the type of connector being used, either VGA or DVI, and select the correct input being used for your monitor to connect to your computer.

Method 2:

1. Press and hold the Windows + X key on the keyboard. Select
      Device manager.
    2. In Device manager, expand Monitor.
    3. Check the status of the driver and if required try to update it.
    4. Right click on the device listed and select
      Update drivers.
      You will get a new window, please select "Search Automatically Updated Drivers Software".
    5. In Device manager, expand Display.
    6. Right click on the device listed and select
      Uninstall device
    7. You will receive a prompt, make sure you check the box for
      Delete the driver software. Then perform method 3.

Method 3: Download and Install the recent video driver.

Seems that there is an updated video driver setup available in Dell
    website.
    Please select the category as Video.

Hope it helps.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Feb 25, 2024
  4. ElleTea Win User

Using old windows 10 laptops as external monitors and my new one as well.

External monitor "no input"; worked with old laptop and intermittently with new laptop

For nearly one year I've been using an external monitor to extend my display. Over the year my set up has stopped working three times and I get the message on the external monitor "no input" when I plug in the cable to my laptop.

I have worked with Dell's IT support on this issue each time to resolve the issue but I would like to figure out how to stop this from happening and/or resolve it on my own when it does happen. Dell IT support eventually fixed the problem after trying many
    solutions and it was too convoluted for me to follow, so I cannot recreate what was successfully done to actually solve the issue. And I don't understand why it is reoccurring. I had zero problems with this external monitor with my old laptop.

Here's a summary:

- laptop always makes the chime sound when the cable to the external monitor is connected and disconnected; "no input" flashes on the screen of the external monitor

- sometimes I can get the external monitor to connect again if I hibernate my laptop and then wake it up; sometimes I need to shut my laptop down completely and restart to get the monitor to connect again; putting the laptop to sleep and then waking it up
    never resolves the problem

- I turned sleep off entirely because usually if my laptop went to sleep then the external monitor would no longer connect upon waking

- I turned off the laptop screen time out (i.e. laptop goes to screen saver or just turns off) because the external monitor would no longer connect afterwards

- In Settings, Display, I have tried the "Detect" button to try to connect to my external display; it doesn't work and I don't think it has ever worked

- I updated BIOS a few times and it did not help; I eventually had to roll back to a BIOS that was four versions older in order for the monitor to connect again

- I updated video card drivers (and a few others that I don't remember because it was months ago), and this did not seem to help

- My setup has been working for the last three or four months until yesterday and now I can't get the monitor to connect no matter what; the only update/change I could see that happened was an update of the "Definition Update for Windows Defender Antivirus",
    but perhaps there were other updates that happened that I don't know how to check for

- I've had three blue screen failures in the two months, and I think one or two others in the last year; stop code: unexpected store exception

I hope I've given enough detail here. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Windows 10 Home

Version 10.0.17134

Dell XPS 13 9360

BIOS Dell Inc. 2.9.0, 7/9/2018

Intel(R) HD Graphics 620

driver version 23.20.16.4973 (installed in April)

***Moved from Windows 10/Performance & system failures***

ElleTea, Feb 25, 2024
Thema:

Using old windows 10 laptops as external monitors and my new one as well.

1. Using old windows 10 laptops as external monitors and my new one as well. - Similar Threads - Using old laptops

2. Using old windows 10 laptops as external monitors and my new one as well.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using old windows 10 laptops as external monitors and my new one as well.: So My main laptop I always have with me is a windows 11 pro latitude 5300 2in1 and I'm looking for it to become more versatile. I wanna use it on trips as a external monitor for my switch and i have dongles and adaptors so it doesn't matter if the hardware allows it as i can...
  3. Old Stutter Bug when using Laptop to External Monitor is back

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Old Stutter Bug when using Laptop to External Monitor is back: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/SCTRON [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/vsjtcl/old_stutter_bug_when_using_laptop_to_external/
  4. Using the license form an old laptop on a new one

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Using the license form an old laptop on a new one: I have an old laptop with windows pro that doesn't work anymore, and I wonder if it's possible to use that license instead of the Windows Single Language installed in my new laptop. The hard disk from the old laptop is still working and even I managed to obtain the windows...
  5. Replace old laptop with a new one

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Replace old laptop with a new one: I have bought a new laptop with windows 10 home on it my old laptop there was windows 10 pro installed. How can I get this version on my new laptop, I have the old hard drive were windows pro on is installed....
  6. Two external monitors on one laptop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Two external monitors on one laptop: Hi all! I am using my laptop for work and have been using an external monitor with it as well. I would like to add an additional. I have two ports, a VGA and an HDMI but windows will only allow me to output to one. Is there any way for me to "output" one screen but have my...
  7. Broken built-in screen on laptop and using external monitor, monitor not used by laptop...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Broken built-in screen on laptop and using external monitor, monitor not used by laptop...: I am using a laptop with a broken screen where i can literally see nothing but black and white and some messed up stuff and I use an external monitor, so basically I am blind without the external monitor. I recently updated the laptop from win7 to win10, I waited for it to...
  8. New Laptop not recognizing old monitor

New Laptop not recognizing old monitor: 've been looking for a cheap way to set up a monitor so that I can view better. I purchased a HDMI to VGA converter, but for some reason the monitor is not "detectable."...
  9. External monitor "no input"; worked with old laptop and intermittently with new laptop

External monitor "no input"; worked with old laptop and intermittently with new laptop: For nearly one year I've been using an external monitor to extend my display. Over the year my set up has stopped working three times and I get the message on the external monitor "no input" when I plug in the cable to my laptop. I have worked with Dell's IT support on this...
  10. External monitor "no input"; worked with old laptop and intermittently with new laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    External monitor "no input"; worked with old laptop and intermittently with new laptop: For nearly one year I've been using an external monitor to extend my display. Over the year my set up has stopped working three times and I get the message on the external monitor "no input" when I plug in the cable to my laptop. I have worked with Dell's IT support on this...