Windows 10: USING ONEDRIVE TO SYNC BETWEEN TWO LAPTOPS

Discus and support USING ONEDRIVE TO SYNC BETWEEN TWO LAPTOPS in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I use several Word and Excel documents on my laptop at work and continually revise/update them throughout the day. I recently purchased a new laptop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by gy2645, Jul 25, 2020.

1. gy2645 Win User

USING ONEDRIVE TO SYNC BETWEEN TWO LAPTOPS

I use several Word and Excel documents on my laptop at work and continually revise/update them throughout the day. I recently purchased a new laptop for home and want to be able to work on these documents both at work and at home. Am trying to learn OneDrive in order to sync. Have read several tutorials which detail how to do specific actions, but think I need a better understanding of some general concepts first because what I've done so far seems to be mostly saving rather than syncing.

Have long used Chrome; am trying to learn Edge. Not sure yet if I'm going to switch, but will take the effort if syncing across both laptops is easier with Edge than Chrome.

So I work on these documents at work, AutoSave them to OneDrive, go home to my new laptop, and want to be able to continue working on those documents, then go to work the next day and continue on. I thought I would be able to instantly see the latest version on my laptop, but need to go get them from OneDrive after sorting through several saved versions of the same document. At this point, it would be easier for me to just keep everything on one laptop and haul it back and forth, or use a flash drive. What am I missing about syncing??

Thanks in advance!

:)

gy2645, Jul 25, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Sync files in OneDrive from one laptop to another laptop

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand that you want to sync files in OneDrive from old laptop to a new laptop. Since you have already signed in to the OneDrive app, I suggest you to refer the section
    If you already have an account signed in to OneDrive in the article

Sync files with the OneDrive sync client in Windows

If the issue persists, I suggest you to get in touch with the OneDrive support team. Follow the below steps to contact the OneDrive support team.

Sign in to OneDrive.com from any browser, click the ‘?’ help icon on the top banner of the page and select
    Email OneDrive support. Submit your question and follow the prompts to request support.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jul 25, 2020
  3. CraigLong Win User
    Syncing Two PC's with OneDrive

1. OneDrive should work exactly the way you suggest if everything is syncing correctly. The files on both PCs and in the cloud work as if they were in a single drive. Except that some online OneDrive files can't be modified and get deleted and are then
    replaced by the newly modified files. Deleted files go to the online recycle bin. If you empty the recycle bin and you need to recover a file it may still be recoverable in the online OneDrive "File History".

OneDrive keeps track of the time you modify a file and will sync files accordingly. So when you start a synced device wait until the file you previously worked on syncs up before working on it again.

2. The answer is "Yes" if you put your downloaded files in your documents folder. Program Files folders don't sync and neither does the Downloads folder.

Check out this video to see what does sync:

https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...onedrive-d61a7930-a6fb-4b95-b28a-6552e77c3057

CraigLong, Jul 25, 2020
  4. USING ONEDRIVE TO SYNC BETWEEN TWO LAPTOPS

Syncing Two PC's with OneDrive

Hey, I would like to use OneDrive to sync two laptops to have the same files. Right now I am syncing desktop and document folders, but I would like to set it so if I delete/modify something on one laptop it will also delete/modify it from the onedrive cloud
    and then the other laptop as well (I'm guessing theres no way to remotely delete files from the other PC but is there a way to go on that PC and sync it with onedrive so then any files that were deleted/modified from the cloud also get deleted off the PC?)

Also, what happens with applications? I know applications wont sync over but does that just mean I'll end up with two copies of the application files in my single synced documents folder?

SethPeacock, Jul 25, 2020
Thema:

USING ONEDRIVE TO SYNC BETWEEN TWO LAPTOPS

1. USING ONEDRIVE TO SYNC BETWEEN TWO LAPTOPS - Similar Threads - USING ONEDRIVE SYNC

2. Microsoft account syncing between two laptops

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft account syncing between two laptops: Hello,I have two laptops with the same Microsoft account, and one crashed before I could clear out some private documents -- it can't be accessed or even turned on at all. If I delete documents on the working laptop -- the two are supposed to be in sync -- will they also be...
  3. Microsoft account syncing between two laptops

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft account syncing between two laptops: Hello,I have two laptops with the same Microsoft account, and one crashed before I could clear out some private documents -- it can't be accessed or even turned on at all. If I delete documents on the working laptop -- the two are supposed to be in sync -- will they also be...
  4. OneDrive unwanted sync across two laptop and PC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    OneDrive unwanted sync across two laptop and PC: Today I opened up my laptop and OneDrive has synced everything from my pc's homescreen to my laptop's homescreen which I don't want, as I use my laptop for school and work, and desktop PC for games. My homescreen on my laptop was specifically setup and organized and now...
  5. How Do I Sync Between Two Laptops

in Windows 10 Customization
    How Do I Sync Between Two Laptops: Other people on this list are either having trouble or the post is fairly dated. I was wondering if someone could tell me the correct steps to sync between two laptops. I want them to stay in sync all the time but I don't want to sync with OneDrive. I have searched with Bing...
  6. How to sync a folder between two laptops?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to sync a folder between two laptops?: Hi everyone, I have two laptops, Laptop A and Laptop B. I use Laptop A for working from home and Laptop B is mainly for Netflix as it also works as a tablet. Is it possible to sync my work from Laptop A to Laptop B? OneDrive doesn't work on Laptop A so I am unable to use...
  7. Onedrive not synced between machines.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Onedrive not synced between machines.: Windows 10 PC and Windows 10 Laptop. One account the same Laptop shows more file count than PC. Onedrive settings on both are exactly the same. Can I force a sync?...
  8. Syncing Two PC's with OneDrive

Syncing Two PC's with OneDrive: Hey, I would like to use OneDrive to sync two laptops to have the same files. Right now I am syncing desktop and document folders, but I would like to set it so if I delete/modify something on one laptop it will also delete/modify it from the onedrive cloud and then the other...
  9. How to sync files between two computers?

How to sync files between two computers?: Please recommend in-built options available in Windows 10 that I can use to sync files between two PCs through a network. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-sync-files-between-two-computers/9ca54b38-cfc2-476d-9559-2675dfd682c4
  10. Backup and sync files between two computers

Backup and sync files between two computers: Hi, Is there a recommended solution for setting up an automated back-up system between a Windows 10 Desktop and a Windows 10 Laptop? I have both machines connected on the home Wifi network and I hope to be able to work on files on the laptop that would have changes...