Windows 10: using powershell to create mixed storage spaces

Discus and support using powershell to create mixed storage spaces in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all. I'm trying to use powershell to create a complex storage space on my 4x6TB HD. I want to make the first 4TB of each HD in simple pool and the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by frank10, Jul 26, 2017.

1. frank10 Win User

using powershell to create mixed storage spaces

Hi all.
    I'm trying to use powershell to create a complex storage space on my 4x6TB HD.
    I want to make the first 4TB of each HD in simple pool and the remaining space 2TB with Mirror 2way.
    4x4TB Simple
    4x2TB Mirror 2Way
    This way should be similar to the max speed of Raid0 striped on the first faster TB and the last slower TB with mirror.
    I tried with the GUI and it works, but you can't select the columns, so the speed in Simple was low, columns=1...
    Making it with Powershell instead it put the correct columns=4.

So I did:
    Code: $Disks = (Get-PhysicalDisk -CanPool $True) New-StoragePool -FriendlyName 4xStripe -PhysicalDisks $Disks -ResiliencySettingNameDefault simple -StorageSubsystemFriendlyName "Windows Storage*" |New-VirtualDisk -FriendlyName "UserData" -Size 16TB -ProvisioningType Thin |Initialize-Disk -PassThru |New-Partition -AssignDriveLetter -UseMaximumSize |Format-Volume[/quote] This works as expected, but then I don't know how to add the Mirror pool...

:)

frank10, Jul 26, 2017
  2. StephenQX Win User

Windows 10 Storage Spaces Improvements?

Here is an example where a 3-way mirror space named VDiskMirrorPS is created on an existing storage pool named Pool01

Optimizing Windows Server 2012 storage management via PowerShell for both performance and resiliency

New-VirtualDisk -StoragePoolFriendlyName Pool01 -ResiliencySettingName Mirror -Size 200GB

-FriendlyName VDiskMirrorPS -ProvisioningType Fixed -NumberOfDataCopies 3 -NumberOfColumns 3

For a 12 column dual parity space his command would be:

New-VirtualDisk -StoragePoolFriendlyName Pool01 -ResiliencySettingName Parity
    -Size 200GB

-FriendlyName
    MyNewParitySpace -ProvisioningType Fixed -NumberOfDataCopies 2 -NumberOfColumns 12

If you are unfamiliar with managing storage spaces via PowerShell I suggest you create some virtual disks (Disk Management > Create VHD) of sizes maybe 20GB-50GB and spend a long time researching and testing various dummy
    storage space configurations. It is the easiest way to understand where the overhead comes from, what column size to choose, what happens when you mix disk sizes, how much space is gained when you add a new disk to the pool, etc.

StephenQX, Jul 26, 2017
  3. Nokia MixRadio uses lot of storage space

The problem I'm having is that deleting mixes does not always free space. I currently have no offline mixes downloaded but MixRadio is using 322MB of storage and there have been instances of it using over a gigabyte without any mixes.

Downloading a mix and then immediately deleting it does free space so I'm not sure what's triggering it. I typically notice it when the phone starts complaining about lack of free space.

CaptBeaumont, Jul 26, 2017
Thema:

using powershell to create mixed storage spaces

1. using powershell to create mixed storage spaces - Similar Threads - using powershell create

2. Storage Spaces using Powershell

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage Spaces using Powershell: Hi, I'm trying to use Storage Spaces. On Windows 11. I have 1 Samsung 500GB SSD Boot. I have 3 Samsung 500GB SSD's. For Storage Spaces. On a Pcie x16. I want to use Simple No Resiliency. RAID 0. I tried "Get-PhysicalDisk." It shows 5 drives. 4 Samsung SSD's and 1 Western...
  3. Storage Spaces using Powershell

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Storage Spaces using Powershell: Hi, I'm trying to use Storage Spaces. On Windows 11. I have 1 Samsung 500GB SSD Boot. I have 3 Samsung 500GB SSD's. For Storage Spaces. On a Pcie x16. I want to use Simple No Resiliency. RAID 0. I tried "Get-PhysicalDisk." It shows 5 drives. 4 Samsung SSD's and 1 Western...
  4. Creating New Storage Spaces

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Creating New Storage Spaces: Hi all,So I am trying to create a new storage space, as my internal disk space is low. I was intending on using an external drive but wasn't too sure what was needed. When I looked on the support section for this option, it said even a USB drive should work but, for some...
  5. Creating New Storage Spaces

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating New Storage Spaces: Hi all,So I am trying to create a new storage space, as my internal disk space is low. I was intending on using an external drive but wasn't too sure what was needed. When I looked on the support section for this option, it said even a USB drive should work but, for some...
  6. Creating New Storage Spaces

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Storage Spaces - created a Raid 0 with Powershell but the Manage Storage Spaces UI doesn't...

Storage Spaces - created a Raid 0 with Powershell but the Manage Storage Spaces UI doesn't...: To upgrade my old blu-ray storage disks, I created a new 3 disk, 3 column Simple pool using the process described here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/storage-spaces-trying-to-create-a-raid-0-with/c440086c-4bb6-410d-9e92-fd98ce6626cc It seems to have...
  8. Creating storage spaces using 2 drives

Creating storage spaces using 2 drives: I have a workstation (HP z1) that only supports 2 drives. Is it possible to set up a mirrored storage space with this IF the OS (Windows 10) is on a separate partition and I mirror just the remainder of that drive with the other? I know Storage Spaces doesn't support...
  9. Storage Spaces - trying to create a Raid 0 with Powershell

Storage Spaces - trying to create a Raid 0 with Powershell: My problem is pretty simple, I set up a 2 X 960 Evo SSD simple volume with Storage Spaces and performance was no better than using the drives singly. Some research seems to say that using the Storage Spaces gui in Win 10 only sets the columns to 1 when what I need is 2....
  10. create a new pool and storage space in the manage storage spaces

in Windows 10 Customization
    create a new pool and storage space in the manage storage spaces: Dear all, I have connected two USB storage drives, each one of them is 16 GB. I tried to create a new virtual pool but it did not work out. I thought the size is not enough and it may need extra storage spaces. I connected 64 GB then opened the storage space but I am still...