Windows 10: Using robocopy to copy my C:\Users folder results in error ERROR 1920 0x00000780 The file...

Discus and support Using robocopy to copy my C:\Users folder results in error ERROR 1920 0x00000780 The file... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am trying to follow this procedure to move my C:\Users folder from my 500GB SSD to my 1TB hard drive. I am on Windows 10 1909.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JonathanLindsey, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Using robocopy to copy my C:\Users folder results in error ERROR 1920 0x00000780 The file...

I am trying to follow this procedure to move my C:\Users folder from my 500GB SSD to my 1TB hard drive. I am on Windows 10 1909. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r16puaMKI8o

Of course I understand if I mess this procedure up my computer may not boot. I just set this computer up and so I don't have any important un-backed up files on it yet.

When I run the "robocopy /copyall /mir /xj D:\Users C:\Users" command described in that tutorial from a Windows 10 1909 boot media flash drive, it runs for a few seconds and then gives me the following error which keeps repeating over and over. Yes I ran diskpart and listed my volumes, when booted this way D: is the SSD drive Windows is installed on and C: is the HDD I want my Users folder on.

2019/12/21 11:07:43 ERROR 1920 0x00000780 Copying File D:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\GameBarElevatedFT_Alias.exe The file cannot be accessed by the system. Waiting 30 seconds... Retrying...

This is the "dir" output from the folder of interest.

D:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps>dir
    Volume in drive D has no label.
    Volume Serial Number is 2E24-0CE3

Directory of D:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps

12/05/2019 12:30 AM <DIR> Backup
    12/20/2019 09:19 PM 0 GameBarElevatedFT_Alias.exe
    12/05/2019 12:30 AM <DIR> Microsoft.DesktopAppInstaller_8wekyb3d8bbwe
    12/04/2019 09:19 PM <DIR> Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe
    12/20/2019 09:19 PM <DIR> Microsoft.XboxGamingOverlay_8wekyb3d8bbwe
    12/04/2019 09:19 PM 0 MicrosoftEdge.exe
    12/05/2019 12:30 AM 0 python.exe
    12/05/2019 12:30 AM 0 python3.exe
    4 Files 0 bytes
    4 Dirs 406,692,597,760 bytes free

D:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps>

Running "notepad GameBarElevatedFT_Alias.exe" from the "D:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps" folder results in an error message from notepad that "The file cannot be accessed by the system".

Why am I getting this error and how should I continue?

:)

JonathanLindsey, Dec 22, 2019

2. Robocopy Error 2 - copyying folder in dropbox

I have successfully created and used the following batch file in windows10

robocopy C:\Users\Julie\Documents\Test C:\Users\Julie\Documents\accounts-backup
    pause

However when I run the batch below to copy the contents of a folder in Dropbox I get

ERROR 2 (0x00000002) Accessing Source Directory C:\Users\Julie\Dropbox\accounts\
    The system cannot find the file specified.

robocopy C:\Users\Julie\Dropbox\accounts C:\Users\Julie\Documents\accounts-backup
    pause

Any suggestions to resolve this

ColinKinsella, Dec 22, 2019
  3. Robocopy copies folders not in Documents to my backup Documents folder on 2nd drive.

Two things:

• You must surroound your folder names with double quotes:

robocopy "C:\Users\my name\Documents . . ." "D:\Dropbox\my name\Documents
      . . ."
    • Robocopy often hides target folders, causing users to think they are missing. Look for hidden folders.

Frederik Long, Dec 22, 2019
  4. Using robocopy to copy my C:\Users folder results in error ERROR 1920 0x00000780 The file...

User can't copy files from network share. Permission error.

Remove the group association from the users account and have the user log off. Add the group association back to the user account and have them log back in.

Test.

Double check if the user is a member of any other group with lower access level which might conflict with this shared folder/file. Edit if necessary

Test.

Are there issues transferring other files from the same folder. If not create a copy of the file. Purge all permissions and access rights from the copy.. recreate permissions from scratch and copy it over the original.

Test.

TRIPTEX_CAN, Dec 22, 2019
Thema:

Using robocopy to copy my C:\Users folder results in error ERROR 1920 0x00000780 The file...

1. Using robocopy to copy my C:\Users folder results in error ERROR 1920 0x00000780 The file... - Similar Threads - Using robocopy copy

2. Need to use robocopy to copy encrypted folder/files.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need to use robocopy to copy encrypted folder/files.: G'day,I've made and have been using a batch file to back up my files. I was using xcopy, but I added a new folder which contains directories which are larger than the 254 character limit, so I started using robocopy. The only problem is, robocopy doesn't seem to support...
  3. Need to use robocopy to copy encrypted folder/files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to use robocopy to copy encrypted folder/files.: G'day,I've made and have been using a batch file to back up my files. I was using xcopy, but I added a new folder which contains directories which are larger than the 254 character limit, so I started using robocopy. The only problem is, robocopy doesn't seem to support...
  4. Need to use robocopy to copy encrypted folder/files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Robocopy: copy drive root directory results in hidden backup folder

Robocopy: copy drive root directory results in hidden backup folder: Windows 10 Home 21H2 19044.1526, 64-bit Robocopy 10.0.19041.1266 Run Robocopy via .bat file, Run as Administrator. Hello: When I use Robocopy to copy the root directory of a drive D: to a folder non-root directory on an external drive, the resulting destination folder is...
  6. Robocopy: copy drive root directory results in hidden backup folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Robocopy: copy drive root directory results in hidden backup folder: Windows 10 Home 21H2 19044.1526, 64-bit Robocopy 10.0.19041.1266 Run Robocopy via .bat file, Run as Administrator. Hello: When I use Robocopy to copy the root directory of a drive D: to a folder non-root directory on an external drive, the resulting destination folder is...
  7. Robocopy: copy drive root directory results in hidden backup folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Error 1920 0x00000780 when copy OneDrive files

Error 1920 0x00000780 when copy OneDrive files: My situation is a bit complicated. My SSD drive is corrupted and I am not able to login to Windows. Luckily, I still can enter the windows command mode from boot menu and able to see my files with DIR command. I connected an external hard disk and try to rescue my files....
  9. Is there a way for Robocopy to ignore file copy errors?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is there a way for Robocopy to ignore file copy errors?: I am trying to backup files from a disk that is probably going bad. I've already run "chkdsk" on it, so now my old CRC errors are now "file unreadable" errors. I can't find any combination of the /R and /W switches that would permit errors to be ignored. It would make...
  10. ROBOCOPY Error 5 -BUT Using

ROBOCOPY Error 5 -BUT Using: SYSTEM: Win 10 Pro (updated 8.3.2019 History: The Robocopy batch I wrote was working well for years. But due to another Problem MS Support re-installed my system but kept my files in place. Since then robocopy fails on some directories with Error 5, sometimes Error...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. gamebarelevatedft_alias.exe

2. robocopy error 1920

3. file system copy error 1920 0x00000780

4. ERROR 1920 (0x00000780,
  5. robocopy error 1920 780,
  6. robocopy cannot access microsoftesge.exe,
  7. robocopy a required privilege not held by client,
  8. gamebarelevatedft_alias cannot copy,
  9. gamebarelevatedft_alias,
  10. robocopy windows 10 user directory error 1920