Windows 10: Using Rufus 3.7 to install Win 10 Pro USB stick fails, ruins stick(?)

Discus and support Using Rufus 3.7 to install Win 10 Pro USB stick fails, ruins stick(?) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Rufus 3.7 seems to have made a Windows installation "spanning" my USB stick and a Windows 10 folder/drive/volume on my HDD. This has rendered my USB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dslomer64, Sep 24, 2019.

1. dslomer64 Win User

Using Rufus 3.7 to install Win 10 Pro USB stick fails, ruins stick(?)

Rufus 3.7 seems to have made a Windows installation "spanning" my USB stick and a Windows 10 folder/drive/volume on my HDD. This has rendered my USB stick useless. Plus, it needs formatting, says Win 10, but its size is reported as 128MegaB, not 32GigaB).

I had screenshots of the Rufus screens but careless editing in Word lost them. I hope to recreate them soon.

(To clarify the complexity of the situation, I have attached a Word document with lots of shapes and screenshots. It contains all of the text below, so I'd look at the attachment instead of what follows.)

Here’s where I am right now.

Volume H: on my HDD contains a Windows installation that should have been put onto my 32 GB USB stick, as I had asked Rufus to do. Its size is 29.40 GB and would have fit nicely onto the USB stick.

Volume F: is my 32GB USB stick. Not only did Rufus not put Windows 10 onto it, Windows says the stick needs formatting, but it says capacity is 128 MB. No thanks.

The “Safely Remove Hardware and eject media” dialog shows that somehow F: and H: have been “grouped” under the name “Extreme”, which is the name of the USB stick.

If I want to eject F:, I can’t—it’s grayed out, as is H:. So I have to eject both or neither. “Extreme” is more or less the union of the two volumes. How can that happen? Why would it happen?

If I remove the stick (volume FUsing Rufus 3.7 to install Win 10 Pro USB stick fails, ruins stick(?) :), volume H: disappears from Disk Management. If I insert the stick, H: is back.

Volume F: never shows up in Disk Management since it supposedly needs formatting.

BTW, when Rufus finished, I didn’t at first notice that those two volumes were mentioned in the same textbox near the top of the Rufus dialog box, with a caption that said something like “Dual Partitions F: and H:”

I wish I had a screenshot. When I found that the USB stick did NOT contain Windows 10 Pro, I came back to the Rufus dialog and when I saw that message, I gave up. The day had been filled with other frustrations before Rufus.

If I format the USB stick, that’ll no doubt kill the Windows volume that Rufus added to my HDD. This would also kill the stick, I fear.

How did this mess happen? Can I save the USB stick?

(If that's not clear, even if it is, the attachment is worth looking at for more clarity. I hope.)
    Using Rufus 3.7 to install Win 10 Pro USB stick fails, ruins stick(?) [​IMG]

:)

dslomer64, Sep 24, 2019
  2. dslomer64 Win User

Rufus 3.7 seems to have made a Windows installation "spanning" my USB stick and a Windows 10 folder/drive/volume on my HDD. This has rendered my USB stick useless. Plus, it needs formatting, says Win 10, but its size is reported as 128MegaB, not 32GigaB).

I had screenshots of the Rufus screens but careless editing in Word lost them. I hope to recreate them soon.

(To clarify the complexity of the situation, I have attached a Word document with lots of shapes and screenshots. It contains all of the text below, so I'd look at the attachment instead of what follows.)

Here’s where I am right now.

Volume H: on my HDD contains a Windows installation that should have been put onto my 32 GB USB stick, as I had asked Rufus to do. Its size is 29.40 GB and would have fit nicely onto the USB stick.

Volume F: is my 32GB USB stick. Not only did Rufus not put Windows 10 onto it, Windows says the stick needs formatting, but it says capacity is 128 MB. No thanks.

The “Safely Remove Hardware and eject media” dialog shows that somehow F: and H: have been “grouped” under the name “Extreme”, which is the name of the USB stick.

If I want to eject F:, I can’t—it’s grayed out, as is H:. So I have to eject both or neither. “Extreme” is more or less the union of the two volumes. How can that happen? Why would it happen?

If I remove the stick (volume FUsing Rufus 3.7 to install Win 10 Pro USB stick fails, ruins stick(?) :), volume H: disappears from Disk Management. If I insert the stick, H: is back.

Volume F: never shows up in Disk Management since it supposedly needs formatting.

BTW, when Rufus finished, I didn’t at first notice that those two volumes were mentioned in the same textbox near the top of the Rufus dialog box, with a caption that said something like “Dual Partitions F: and H:”

I wish I had a screenshot. When I found that the USB stick did NOT contain Windows 10 Pro, I came back to the Rufus dialog and when I saw that message, I gave up. The day had been filled with other frustrations before Rufus.

If I format the USB stick, that’ll no doubt kill the Windows volume that Rufus added to my HDD. This would also kill the stick, I fear.

How did this mess happen? Can I save the USB stick?

(If that's not clear, even if it is, the attachment is worth looking at for more clarity. I hope.)
    Using Rufus 3.7 to install Win 10 Pro USB stick fails, ruins stick(?) [​IMG]

dslomer64, Sep 24, 2019
  3. dslomer64 Win User

Although some digging enabled me to get my unusable USB stick back to normal, thanks goes to @kyhi, who suggested these DOS and DISKPART commands:

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk 1
    clean

Also thanks to @Megahertz for adding:

create partition primary
    select partition 1
    active

But I used:
    format recommended

So my "ruined" USB stick is now formatted 32 GB, NTFS.

The .ISO I had tried to put onto USB stick is Win 10 Pro. Specifically its name is Win10_1903_V1_English_x64.iso, which I had downloaded a week ago. This ISO gets into the picture by selecting "Disk or ISO image (please select)" from the "Boot selection" dropdown menu and then figuring out to then click SELECT to be able to choose the downloaded ISO to be used.

@sportsfan148 mentioned problem if install.wim size > 4 GB.
    Size is 3.99 GB (4,289,073,755 bytes).
    Yes,4.289 GB > 4 GB,
    but 3.99 GB < 4 GB.
    Cutting it close, Microsoft.

Please see the attachment for the details of my interaction with Rufus.

Note that the “Important Notice” “More Info” link (FAQ . pbatard/rufus Wiki . GitHub
    ) gives a lot of important and interesting info, such as:

“[D]isable Secure Boot, as a temporary measure, so that you can boot the UEFI:NTFS bootloader… Secure Boot can always be disabled [via] BIOS… if [Rufus] requires. [W]e discourage the use of Media Creation Tool (MCT) [whose] ISOs … can not even be validated for corruption.”

The checkmark to the left of the SELECT button will give a checksum value for SHA-1 (such as SHA1: 344ca92459c23663d5f857c72a7c030f85f19be8) for which MSDN Files Info by WZT can be searched. It will give a result only for a genuine retail Microsoft ISO that has not been altered in any way. Mine has these properties:

Product (Full Name): Windows 10 (consumer editions), version 1903 (x64) - DVD (English)
    File: en_windows_10_consumer_editions_version_1903_x64_dvd_b980e68c.iso
    File Size (MB): unknown bytes (4,939,528,192 MB)
    Date release: 2019-04-19
    (Sportsfan: I think using Rufus trumps just copying ISO files to USB since there's no way to confirm real Microsoft copy that way.)

Note that ISOs that support both UEFI and BIOS boot will be converted to either one or the other mode, as follows.
    If selected Partition Scheme (which is linked to Target System) is:

MBR, the USB will be bootable in BIOS mode (not UEFI)
    GPT, the USB will be bootable in UEFI mode (not BIOS)for the Target System.

Since my laptop defaults to BIOS, the warning doesn’t apply.

Anyway, I now have a complete, working Windows 10 Pro installation on a USB stick.

P.S.
    If I can find the time and energy after all the other stuff I have to do, I will try ASAP to reproduce the problem that I encountered using Rufus the first time, which caused the problem that I originally posted. This way, we can possibly profit by finding the "user error" suggested by @ferrellart.

dslomer64, Sep 24, 2019
  4. Kyhi Win User

Rufus created a Multi-Partition "Removable" Drive (USB)

To regain USB - open Command Prompt(admin)
    Type> DiskPart
    Type> list disk
    Type> select disk # (# being the Disk Number Assigned to USB Stick
    Type> Clean

No need to use Rufus.... Just format USB Fat32 and copy contents of ISO to USB

Thema:

1. Using Rufus 3.7 to install Win 10 Pro USB stick fails, ruins stick(?) - Similar Threads - Using Rufus install

2. Failed USB memory stick

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failed USB memory stick: Hi, I am having a problem with my USB memory stick, it says it doesn't have any storage, yet it does, and it has data on there, it's not like it's CD-ROM drive. I even have proof from a recovery attempt on a Linux VM....
  3. Failed USB memory stick

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Failed USB memory stick: Hi, I am having a problem with my USB memory stick, it says it doesn't have any storage, yet it does, and it has data on there, it's not like it's CD-ROM drive. I even have proof from a recovery attempt on a Linux VM....
  4. Can't use USB stick

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't use USB stick: Hello,I have a problem with USB stick.When I click on its drive letter in Windows Explorer, I am told to insert a disk into USB drive. I can't format it. Disk management says that it is online. What should I do?The problem happens on two computers, with slightly different...
  5. Can't use USB stick

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't use USB stick: Hello,I have a problem with USB stick.When I click on its drive letter in Windows Explorer, I am told to insert a disk into USB drive. I can't format it. Disk management says that it is online. What should I do?The problem happens on two computers, with slightly different...
  6. Windows 10 installs fail on 2 different machines with 3 different usb sticks

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 installs fail on 2 different machines with 3 different usb sticks: This weekend I was building a small form factor pc. Specs are belowMotherboard - strix z370iCpu - 9600kRam - 16gb ddr4 3200 Corsair vengeance lpx2 1tb silicon power nvme ssdgot it on the bench ready to install windows and get things set up for final install. I made it though...
  7. win 10 usb stick

win 10 usb stick: Bought the win 10 usb stick from microsoft to upgrade fro 7 to 10.Inserted usb stick, and computer recognizws it,but when I right click on setup, then run as administrator,I get the spinning busy icon and nothing happens.Can someone be of assistance?Thanks....
  8. USB stick in use.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB stick in use.: Have a problem I can't fix for a while now. Whenever I try to format it, make boot disk etc. I get a message that it's in use (by something) no idea what. It can be empty, not formatted, formatted etc. but same thing happens. Otherwise they work fine, I can write to them,...
  9. USB stick in use.

in Windows 10 Support
    USB stick in use.: Have a problem I can't fix for a while now. Whenever I try to format it, make boot disk etc. I get a message that it's in use (by something) no idea what. It can be empty, not formatted, formatted etc. but same thing happens. Otherwise they work fine, I can write to them,...
  10. Installing Windows 10 Pro from USB Stick

Installing Windows 10 Pro from USB Stick: Hi, So, I can't find anything online about this, and I hope someone here can help! I'm building my own PC from scratch, and I want to install Windows 10 Pro, I bought the key and everything seemed OK. When I installed the Media Creation Tool from the Microsoft...