Windows 10: Using same password for both Local Admin and Standard accounts?

Discus and support Using same password for both Local Admin and Standard accounts? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi everyone! Just need some user account advise here. -I am the only person using my machine and no one else. -Machine is a Standalone meaning it is... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by win10freak, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Using same password for both Local Admin and Standard accounts?

Hi everyone!

Just need some user account advise here.

-I am the only person using my machine and no one else.
    -Machine is a Standalone meaning it is not domain-joined.
    -Running BitLocker full encryption with TPM and PIN
    -User account lockout after failed password attempts are Enabled
    -Password is long and complex
    -UAC for both local Admin and Standard accounts are set to Prompt for Credentials on the Secure Desktop

Here is my question, can I use the same password for both Admin and my Standard accounts?

:)

win10freak, Nov 21, 2020

2. Password Policy for local standard vs local admin accounts

I have TEN Windows 10 Pro computers on a peer to peer network (no domain). Each computer has 2 LOCAL (non Microsoft) accounts - 1 Admin and 1 standard user (non-admin).

Is it possible to set a password policy where the policy can be set against ONLY the LOCAL standard user account and NOT the LOCAL admin account?

I looked at SECPOL but it doesn't differentiate between the STANDARD account and ADMIN account.

Thanks - Jim

JimReynolds_143, Nov 21, 2020
  3. Namslas90 Win User
    admin password?

You can reset the Admin Password using Windows XP repair; See Here for step by step.

*Toast :toast:

Namslas90, Nov 21, 2020
  4. Using same password for both Local Admin and Standard accounts?

Local Admin Account vs standard Account

The first account you create, during setup of Windows 10, is a member of the "Administrators Group" by default. It is not "The Administrator" though, it is still subject to User Account control Etc. That's for protection from malware etc. Clicking "Run as Administrator" elevates it to the full administrator. That's what you want, and is fine for most people. Any subsequent account created can be an Administrator or Standard User. This has nothing to do with Outlook.com. It's local privileges/permissions. An account setup as Standard user will be prompted for an Administrator Password if they click "Run as Administrator". If the only account setup on that PC is a Standard User (because you deleted the other Admin users) you won't be able to do much. Run as admin won't work as you won't have any valid password to enter. The built in system administrator account is hidden and disabled by default.

I Have tried in the past running with just a Standard user Account. For me, It got old very quickly having to actually type the password in for the other (admin) account every time you have to use "Run as Administrator'.

alphanumeric, Nov 21, 2020
Thema:

Using same password for both Local Admin and Standard accounts?

1. Using same password for both Local Admin and Standard accounts? - Similar Threads - Using same password

2. Using admin power on a standard account?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Using admin power on a standard account?: Can I do that? I don't really understand how a standard user works. If I use a standard user and introduce the admin password, can I make changes to the administrator user as well? I can't understand how the HDD storage is affected when using 2 accounts. I've just came from...
  3. Local admin account password - Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Local admin account password - Windows 10: Hi, my laptop suffers from occasional disk errors and I get into disk repair mode. I get asked for a password I assume admin and enter it successfully - job done? Not exactly, I can't figure out how to change this password as I can't see a password change option under account...
  4. Reset Admin password on a standard user account??

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Reset Admin password on a standard user account??: I bought a refurbished computer for my employer. It had a ADMIN account set up with no pass word associated with the account so I created one. I might have had a error in my pass word because I can no longer log into that account. I did create another account that I was...
  5. Password Policy for local standard vs local admin accounts

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Password Policy for local standard vs local admin accounts: I have TEN Windows 10 Pro computers on a peer to peer network no domain. Each computer has 2 LOCAL non Microsoft accounts - 1 Admin and 1 standard user non-admin. Is it possible to set a password policy where the policy can be set against ONLY the LOCAL standard user...
  6. Admin Password with Standard User

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Admin Password with Standard User: I don't know the admin password and I have a standard account! Can someone please help me?????????????!!!!!!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/admin-password-with-standard-user/69ab0540-cab7-4199-b339-04cb7d920478
  7. Syncronize domain accounts customization same as Local account admin

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Syncronize domain accounts customization same as Local account admin: Hi there, I'm new to the forum, so I will try my best to be clear as possible in describing my issues. For the past month I've been trying to customize the look of my windows 10 such as folders, start menu, notifications and uninstall of apps in powershell with the local...
  8. Win does not prompt for an Admin password in a Standard account

Win does not prompt for an Admin password in a Standard account: I have two accounts - Administrator & Standard. When I login to the standard account and tried accessing the admin folders (C:\Users\Admin...), it asked me for my admin password initially. However, after entering the correct password, I was able to access the files and...
  9. Local Admin Account vs standard Account

Local Admin Account vs standard Account: i have to ask this i am on Windows 10 Home build 16299.19 as i am currently terminating an old account and going to my most current account but i am concerned that the one i use to login into my current PC might be lost and i do wonder if the admin account i use for this HP...
  10. Downgrading from a local Admin Account to a Standard User Account?

Downgrading from a local Admin Account to a Standard User Account?: After reinstalling Windows 10, I created a local Admin user account just enough for me to install some apps and set things up. After that, I created another local Admin account. Now, I need to downgrade my current Admin account (which I created during setup) to a Standard...