Windows 10: Using Shadow copy on a network shared file

Discus and support Using Shadow copy on a network shared file in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; If I revert a file back to the previous version using the shadow copy feature. will it change the access permissions of that folder back to what they... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Joe.admin, Sep 26, 2022.

1. Joe.admin Win User

Using Shadow copy on a network shared file

If I revert a file back to the previous version using the shadow copy feature. will it change the access permissions of that folder back to what they were?Or will it keep the current permissions they are set to?It is a network-shared folder within a domain. I need to revert the permissions but don't remember what they were set to

:)

Joe.admin, Sep 26, 2022
  2. jhg6308 Win User

Windows Defender incorrectly reports threat in Volume Shadow Copy

I think you misread my question.

I did what you suggest immediately after I first downloaded the file.

The problem is NOT that the file itself gets flagged -- it does not as it is in the exclusions list.

The problem is that the exclusions list applies to the absolute path to the file.

What Windows Defender is complaining about is the COPY of the file that is present in the Volume Shadow Copy, NOT the original file.

There appears to be no way to tell Windows Defender to ignore the COPY of the file in the Volume Shadow Copy. Then, every time my backup program (Retrospect) runs, Windows Defender detects the file IN THE VOLUME SHADOW COPY and complains.

jhg6308, Sep 26, 2022
  3. woodson2 Win User
    Can't copy/move to network shares from VISTA

Can't copy/move to network shares
    Hello, I have a Vista laptop that can no longer copy or move files to any XP/VISTA or Samba network shares. This was working at one time, but has since stopped. I receive the following error when trying to copy a file from my local drive. There is a problem accessing (path to local file) Please check your network connection etc..etc.. I have turned off the firewall and windows defender, network discovery in on and file sharing enabled(with password auth disabled). the workgroup is set correctly. I tried moving the files I want to copy to the Vista "public" folder and this makes no difference.. the files are very small 20-30kb so size isn't the issue.I've tried disabling UAC to no avail..I also removed Norton Suite from the machine....Like I said this just stopped working...(maybe after a windows update)?? Any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks

I'm running Vista home premium SP1 32-bit

What I can do.
    1.Create a new file/folder on the same network shares in question.
    2.Copy/move a file from the XP/Samba network share to my Vista machine.
    3. If I create a new text file on the desktop I'm able to copy as expected...strange but true..I looked at the permissions on the newly created file and they are the same as all the other files I'm trying to copy.

woodson2, Sep 26, 2022
  4. temp02 Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Sep 26, 2022
Thema:

1. Using Shadow copy on a network shared file - Similar Threads - Using Shadow copy

2. Shadow copy and SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shadow copy and SSD: Hello.I have an ASUS ROG with an internal ssd and a internal hdd that i use as storage.A few months ago i install O&O defrag.When try to use trim command appears a message to disable shadow copiescreation of restore points because decrease the life time of ssd!!!Is that...
  3. Using Shadow copy on a network shared file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using Shadow copy on a network shared file: If I revert a file back to the previous version using the shadow copy feature. will it change the access permissions of that folder back to what they were?Or will it keep the current permissions they are set to?It is a network-shared folder within a domain. I need to revert...
  4. Using Shadow copy on a network shared file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Using Shadow copy on a network shared file: If I revert a file back to the previous version using the shadow copy feature. will it change the access permissions of that folder back to what they were?Or will it keep the current permissions they are set to?It is a network-shared folder within a domain. I need to revert...
  5. shadow copy storage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    shadow copy storage: i have to resize shadow copy size.what commands do i need?i tried vssadmin.. this did not work.this needed for create a system image. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shadow-copy-storage/02922a1c-fc7a-42de-bd1d-a2f882196c08
  6. Clone File or Shadow Copy virus

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Clone File or Shadow Copy virus: Hi guys, I need help with this thing thats been driving me crazy for some time now. Whenever I open a program a copy of it named ".programname.exe" without the quotes is created in the directory, am guessing this is some sort of virus because it happens when I connect my...
  7. Network shares impossible to use for lightweight tasks while copying files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network shares impossible to use for lightweight tasks while copying files: Hi! I have a home network of two fully updated Windows 10 PCs, one wired and one wireless over 5GHz wi-fi. The wired, desktop PC works as a kind of file server. The "network" doesn't seem to have any sort of QoS (Quality of Service) management. If I begin copying a multi-GB...
  8. Files Deleted when copied to Network Share

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files Deleted when copied to Network Share: Hello I have two NAS drives A & B. When I copy a large file (+500MB ish) from my Windows 10 laptop to a share on NAS A everything is fine. When I copy the same file from the same Laptop to a share on NAS B the files is deleted. Both NAS drives run the same OS (Linux) and are...
  9. Shadow Copy Windows10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Shadow Copy Windows10: Hello, I update to 18860 Insider build, before that I was able to see my shadow copies in "Previous version" tab in every folder. But latest build loose my task schedules, can you help, what is right command to enable shadow copies again and show on "Previous version"?...
  10. Shadow Copy, uses ? Get rid of it ?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Shadow Copy, uses ? Get rid of it ?: I was just looking around and run into this program: Access Hard Drive Snapshots with ShadowCopyView - MajorGeeks After examining part of my system with it I noticed that some folders tend to be huge and taking a lot of space. Now, I'm not cramped for space but looks like...