Windows 10: Using Shared OneDrive Folders

Discus and support Using Shared OneDrive Folders in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My parents are luddites, so when it comes to keeping their photos organised and backed up, it's easier if I just do it for them. About a month ago... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ARC1020, Sep 21, 2015.

1. ARC1020 Win User

Using Shared OneDrive Folders

My parents are luddites, so when it comes to keeping their photos organised and backed up, it's easier if I just do it for them.

About a month ago Microsoft introduced the ability to use shared OneDrive folders from the desktop (Info Here). Therefore, it's crossed my mind whether I could just get them to put all their photos in a shared photos folder on my OneDrive, which will obviously be visible on their desktop, however does anyone know the following:

1) If I have a 1TB plan with 300GB of files stored in a folder, can I share it with someone who has only say 40GB of OneDrive storage on their account?

2) Are there any protection mechanisms built-in to prevent accidental overwriting/deletion of files by someone that a folder's shared with? Otherwise, it's obviously pretty risky if someone can accidently delete/overwrite something, then that syncs to everyone else that it's shared with.

:)

ARC1020, Sep 21, 2015

2. Removing the "rooms" feature

Photos and notes, which are stored on OneDrive, can be still be shared using OneDrive . To quickly view shared items, go to
    Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online. or tap the "Shared" tab in the OneDrive app. Using OneDrive you can modify the share setting of existing folders or
    choose to Share new folders.

Greg

Greg [MSFT], Sep 21, 2015
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Sep 21, 2015
  4. Kari Win User

The OneDrive capacity of those users you share with has nothing to do with this. If you share 300 GB with someone who has a 40 GB OneDrive, they will see their own 40 GB plus your 300 GB. When they save on your shared folders (if you have allowed it, see #2 below) the space used is taken from your available OneDrive capacity leaving their free space on that 40 GB intact.

The simplest protection in this case is to let them only view the shared content. This naturally also allows download but they cannot edit, rename or remove the content, not even reorganize the folder structure.

Using Shared OneDrive Folders [​IMG]

5. ARC1020 Win User
    Thanks for clarifying the first one. I thought that would be the case, but wanted to check.

With the second question, if I set it to 'Recipients can only view', presumably that would mean they wouldn't be able to add new files either? I.E. Drag and drop photos from a camera memory card to a folder in the shared OneDrive storage.

Although, reading your answer I think the best solution would actually be two separate shared folders. One set to 'Recipients can edit' where they can just drag & drop new files to, and one set to 'Recipients can only view', which will be the master folder where all the photos will end up (they will never edit the photos anyway).

ARC1020, Sep 22, 2015
  6. Kari Win User
    If the folder is set to View only, they cannot add new files to it. Your idea about two separate folders sounds good, one for them to add new files for you to sort out and add to the view folder, and the view folder for them to see.

7. ARC1020 Win User
    Reading more I'm not sure it will work anyway. It seems folders won't sync with desktop when set to 'Recipients can only view'. I don't have any Windows 10 machines to try it on, but according to the Microsoft article it says:

And according to Windows Central:

ARC1020, Sep 23, 2015
  8. Kari Win User

OK, I hadn't noticed that.

Anyway, how difficult it is to them to view the shared OneDrive folder using a browser? Share the folder with rights to edit where they are supposed to add the new files adding that folder to their desktop, share the view folder without edit rights and explain how to access it from a browser.

9. ARC1020 Win User
    Yeah, viewing in a browser would be possible, but a bit of a messy solution. All the old originals are saved in folders there as well, so uncut AVI's and high-res 16-bit TIFF's. These are perfectly fine on a local machine, but not so great over the internet.

I think Microsoft are set to launch their new 'Unified Sync Engine' for OneDrive sometime towards the end of this year, so I think I'll hold off for now and wait to see how that all works. Another thing I'm going to have to figure out is if they replace the computer, whether there's a way to locally copy the files back into their OneDrive folder without having to download the whole lot from Microsoft again.

Thanks for your help anyway.

ARC1020, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Using Shared OneDrive Folders - Similar Threads - Using Shared OneDrive

2. OneDrive use with 8 users and a Shared Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive use with 8 users and a Shared Folder: I have a smaller office that has 8 computers, workgroup setup, all connected to a wired network, and running OneDrive. I created a Shared folder for them which all 8 systems have a shortcut link to on their Desktop. All machines are running Windows 10 Pro. All data that these...
  3. OneDrive use with 8 users and a Shared Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive use with 8 users and a Shared Folder: I have a smaller office that has 8 computers, workgroup setup, all connected to a wired network, and running OneDrive. I created a Shared folder for them which all 8 systems have a shortcut link to on their Desktop. All machines are running Windows 10 Pro. All data that these...
  4. OneDrive use with 8 users and a Shared Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Share sub folders in onedrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Share sub folders in onedrive: I have shared a parent folder in onedrive in office 365. when i or the shared user creates a sub folder, this is not synced and does not display. how do i set onedrive so as any sub folders and content are automatically synchronised with other users?...
  6. OneDrive Shared Folder

OneDrive Shared Folder: I am trying to use a OneDrive shared folder ( Frame ) as a source of Photos for a Digital PhotoFrame. I want others to be able to drop photos to this folder. My Wife and I use Ipads. I shared my ' Frame ' folder with her. On MY Ipad, I CAN select a photo and send it to the '...
  7. OneDrive Shared Folder not Sharing Files

OneDrive Shared Folder not Sharing Files: I created a View-Only Shared OneDrive Folder with another person. I have confirmed that this folder is visible on their OneDrive Account and was downloaded onto all their devices. I then added files to the Folder, but the files themselves have not been shared. The files...
  8. OneDrive Shared Folder & Files

OneDrive Shared Folder & Files: I can't find the answer anywhere unfortunately. I must be doing something wrong.... I am moving from Google Drive to OneDrive and don't find this easy to do in OneDrive. How can I set a folder to non-editable, always shared without have to do it each and every time? I...
  9. OneDrive Shared Folder question

OneDrive Shared Folder question: I have some shared folders in my OneDrive that my friends shared to me. However, if I move the shared folders to certain folders as a subfolders, the shared folders are not sync anymore. Does this mean that I cannot re-organize the shared folders?...
  10. Onedrive for Business Shared Folders

Onedrive for Business Shared Folders: We currently use Dropbox to share team folders in real time and I would like to replace it with Onedrive but I don´t see a way to download shared folders to each team members´computer. Is there a way to do this in Onedrive for business? I am considering using Sharepoint...