Windows 10: Using SSD and HDD but Differing Partition Styles

Discus and support Using SSD and HDD but Differing Partition Styles in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The setup example is this: windows 10 on SSD (MBR Partition Style), Secondary HDD for Programs/Other-Stuff (GPT Partition-Style), I install programs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BrokenDaily, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Using SSD and HDD but Differing Partition Styles

The setup example is this: windows 10 on SSD (MBR Partition Style), Secondary HDD for Programs/Other-Stuff (GPT Partition-Style), I install programs onto the secondary drive (steam, VLC Media Player, etc...)

Will windows 10, at any point in the time I install updates or have to do repair installs for whatever reason, start having problems recognizing I got stuff installed on a GPT partitioned HDD, necessitating a need to convert the hard drive to an MBR partition table/style, or can I have the setup as an MBR/GPT or a GPT/MBR with no problems, or should I just stick with both storage drives being either MBR or GPT

:)

BrokenDaily, Jan 19, 2020
  2. HLL_544 Win User

Saving free space on SSD (Regarding multiple obligatory partitions on main drive)

Gerry Here just copy-paste some irrelevant response.

Well, **I've figured it out**. Here my solution (I Take no responsibility from any damage that might arise from this process, and I do not guarantee it to work for u.)

We'll assume u have 2 disks; SSD and HDD.

Also NOTE: I Work in a GPT-Disk partitioning scheme, I don't know if it's applicable on dos-style MBR partitioning.

General-methodology wich we are going to work with (or TL;DR).

• Delete all partitions on all drive
    • Install Windows on the HDD Drive
    • Install Windows on the SSD Drive (yes, twice!)
    • Repartition the HDD to free up and reallocate as we wish (The only parition that HAVE to be there is the EUFI System (Fat) )
    • After freeing up HDD space, move user folder to the HDD
    • PROFIT
    And in more detail:

THIS GUIDE ASSUME THIS IS A FRESH PC - THAT U DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING U NEED ON EITHER DISKS.

* - Asterisk, not a real step, just additional information

• Boot into windows 10 installation
    • Clear ALL partitions on BOTH drives
    • Let windows install itself onto the HDD, We'll call this installation win-hdd
      • There is no need to actually boot into this OS.
    • Boot into windows 10 installation
    • Let windows install itself onto the SSD. We'll call this installation win-ssd
      • *What would happen now, Is that windows detects the recovery and eufi partitions and does not need to create such additional partitions on your ssd. It would only create a 16MB windows reserved partition.
      • *Your boot partition would be hdd/eufi; But since windows detect it's own bootloader it would allow you to duel-boot between win-hdd and win-ssd(default)
    • Optional: During windows-ssd first run wizard switch to audit mode (CTRL+SHIFT+F3)
      • *We would use audit mode to:
        • * Optional1: Repartition hdd
        • * Optional2: Change "Users" folder to the hdd.
        • * If u do not want to move Users folder, u can do 6.2 After win-ssd fully boots instead
      • Repartition hdd & move Users folder:
        • Using a 3rd party tool such as "MiniTool Partition Wizard" you can do the fallowing *as you wish*:
          • Delete win-hdd partition
          • Delete recovery-hdd partition
          • Delete windows reserved (16 mb) partition.
          • You can also later move the EUFI to the start of the hdd disk, if needed
          • Create new partition (free to use) on hdd.
          • Make sure to properly assign drive letters to all drive as u wish
          • Fallow
            this guide
            to relocate the User folder (Starting from Step 2)
    • Boot into windows-ssd; If u do not know which one (int the OS selection screen) It's safe to assume that the automatically-selected one is the win-ssd.
    • If u have not performed 6.2 Yet, this is the time to do that now.
    GLHF.

HLL_544, Jan 20, 2020
  3. lacrumb Win User
    Move OS to SSD leave data in HDD

I would clone the HDD to the SSD. Then format the HDD and set up a number of partitions for the different kinds of data. Then move the data from the SSD to the different partitions on the HDD.

Then you might want to reduce the size of the C:\ partition and put a couple partitions on the SSD for those things that need the speed.

There are some free programs to do the clone. I use EaseUS ToDo Backup.

lacrumb, Jan 20, 2020
  4. Using SSD and HDD but Differing Partition Styles

Remove Recovery Partition and Go to Recovery Drive During HDD to SSD Upgrade

Thank you Sangeeta,

"delete the recovery partition as part of the cloning of the HDD to the SSD" The meaning of this quote is as follows:

The recovery partition on the HDD will NOT be copied onto the SSD. This differs from most other data on the HDD which will be copied over onto the SSD. The word cloning is used because the emphasis is on having a functioning system on the SSD that truly
    mimics the system that ran on the HDD. Just as a biological clone is the creation of an identical organism with the same behavior.

The specific SSD I have is a Samsung 850 EVO with 250 GB capacity. It comes with migration software. Further study on my part discovered the following from the migration software user guide "OEM Recovery partition created by the computer manufacturer as
    a factory setting will not be cloned". So, Samsung does not carry the recovery partition across to the SSD - just as I wanted.

So, the SSD won't have the 16 GB recovery partition that the HDD had. Incidentally, Acer documentation says that if a new drive is installed, the ability to go back to the "original build factory settings" will be lost. So, they anticipated the loss if
    the drive was replaced. And this is fine by me since I do not want to go back to Windows 7.

The bottom line is that the SSD won't have the recovery partition; I need to create a recovery drive once I have upgraded to the SSD. (I think it is best to create the recovery drive after the SSD is installed since there are subtle differences between
    the SSD and HDD and the recovery tools should reflect the SSD.)

Edmond Danta, Jan 20, 2020
Thema:

Using SSD and HDD but Differing Partition Styles

1. Using SSD and HDD but Differing Partition Styles - Similar Threads - Using SSD HDD

2. Using SSD or HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Using SSD or HDD: I just bought a new computer with Windows 10 Pro installed. It came with a 512 Gb SSD and 1 Tb HDD. It automatically has been storing all of my data on the SSD. I am not a game player and have only one game downloaded. My data totals only 24 Gb's so far and adding more...
  3. Use SSD as cache for HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Use SSD as cache for HDD: Hello everyone! I was wondering if I could use a 128GB SSD as cache for my 2TB HDD. What program should I use? Is it a native Windows feature? Is this the right subreddit to post this? Thanks :) submitted by /u/GnossisYT [link] [comments]...
  4. SSD + HDD as Recovery Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD + HDD as Recovery Partition: Win 10 v 1909. I have never run into this before. An SSD with a 1tb HDD as recovery partition. Can someone tell me how this is done because I want to make 1tb hdd separate. New Lenovo 510A Thanks [img] 156079
  5. Using SSD and HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Using SSD and HDD: I have a hard drive and an SSD. I want to use the SSD for booding and the hard drive for storing everything else except a few apps (ex. chrome and frequently used ones). I am new to windows. How do I do this?...
  6. Media creation tool on an SSD/HDD partition?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Media creation tool on an SSD/HDD partition?: Hi, I have used the windows media creation tool in the past with a USB stick to install a fresh copy of Windows 10. However I was wondering if it was possible to do the same thing with an SSD or HDD partition, so that if I were to install the drive to a new machine, the...
  7. intergation data partition in HDD into ssd

intergation data partition in HDD into ssd: After migrating the system and OS +programs from HDD to SSD, I am left with the choice of either keeping the Data Files ( < 5Gb) that I had in the HDD as a separate partition in the SSD or integrate it into the c drive in one large partition . If I want to integrate it with...
  8. Using mini tool partition wizard to migrate from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Using mini tool partition wizard to migrate from HDD to SSD: I notice there is a migrate OS to SSD option in Mini tool partition wizard. What I want to do is to move only the System and C partition ( which contain Windows 10 and programs ) to the SSD. The HDD capacity is 1 TB vs 500GB for the SSD The HDD is partitioned into System (...
  9. Span Partition over SSD and HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Span Partition over SSD and HDD: Hi everyone! I'm planning to span my D: Drive (which is now a 2 TB HDD) partition over to a new 128 GB SSD. That partition holds Program Files and Program Files (x86) as alternatives to the ones on my system drive, since that's an SSD too small for all my installed programs...
  10. Cloning HDD to SSD in a different computer?

Cloning HDD to SSD in a different computer?: Hey everyone, Just wanted to get a feel on this before i dig into it. I have a dell laptop (school) that i got a SSD for. I also have a clevo laptop at home (main computer), and it has two 2.5" driver bays. Could i install my current dell HDD and the new SSD into the clevo...